HJC or Scorpion helmets and other gear.

I am wondering who has a better reputation in making helmets,
-here come the laughs and flames-
for a vespa.
I am looking at these...
http://www.hjchelmets.com/ac3.htm
http://www.hjchelmets.com/cl33.htm
http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/exo200_solid.html
probably one of the one's with visors to protect against the mosquitos flying in my face, as well as if it rains.
I am leaning to the scorpion with the visor because it seems to have more ventilation as well as protection.

another question should i ride with more than a helmet on the vespa. I would never exceed 45. (it can go 59 max) I am thinking a jacket and some pants that I can pull over whatever I am wearing. Still sounds a bit excessive to me as I see people all over Europe wearing nothing but a helmet. Maybe they are all squids haha. And I will need to fit most of it in the school locker. (probably carry the helmet)

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=319892&page=3
check about midway down for more info.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hear Vespas are ultra trendy now. Then again, Id never heard of them until alot of Hollywood started riding them. Even going 45 can get you seriously injured without protection. Get whatever helmet fits you the best.

Overpants like you were talking about sound good with a jacket and gloves. I honestly think textile would work here if you don't wanna go leather.

#4 · (Edited)
Out of these brands which should I avoid and which are really good?
Joe Rocket
ICON
Teknic
Fieldsheer
Firstgear
River Road
Tourmaster
Cortech

I am looking for...
Textile jacket
Overpants
Gloves
Raingear (do i need it if the pants and jacket are water resistant?)

Also should I look at full gloves (cover the wrist) or crew gloves?

#5 ·
I would avoid Icon. Never heard of River Road. Teknic, Fieldsheer, and Firstgear are decent. Joe Rocket is OK.

Definitely get gloves that come up over the wrists and end of the jacket sleeves. Otherwise your jacket sleeves will tend to ride up exposing the skin of your arms to road rash.

If you get a textile jacket and overpants that are water resistant, you may be OK without rain gear as long as you don't ride while it's pouring. A reasonable way to go where you live is perforated jacket and pants with removable liners for the cooler weather.

#7 ·
ruel said:
wow. it doesn't seem like any of those makes are very good.
who should I be looking at?
Whatever you prefer. Its like buying a car...all brands are different and its up to you if you want a Honda, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc. Or in your case, agewise, its also depends on the girl/guy. Blonde, brunettes, redheads. Thin ones, thick ones, obesed ones, averages ones, etc...

You are 15 years old, save and enjoy your money but if you are set, your best bet to save a lot of money is going with Teknic since they are changing distiburtors so a lot of their stuff is on clearence right now but they are hard to find since most places already stopped carrying them or their stuff is out of stock right now

#8 ·
Well it's a Vespa so the worry of going down at 80 is pretty unlikely. HJC has been making motorcycle helmets for over 35 years, so they are pretty good at it. I would prefer to see anyone on the street in a Composite shell helmet. I know the Poly's are Snell and DOT but there's a reason you won't see any racers wearing one (besides the weight) Make sure it fits correctly rally research what that is because everyone has a different opinion.

#11 ·
Blake331 said:
Well it's a Vespa so the worry of going down at 80 is pretty unlikely.
The force of hitting the ground off a bike at stand still and 150mph are both the same... such simple phsyics, even I understand them. The only thing that effects how hard an object hits an X axis is how high up it was when it fell, not how fast it was traveling along the X axis. Now, hitting an object on the Y axis is another story entirely, and will be affected by how fast the object was traveling along the X axis. This is why people who don't wear helmets on scooters because "they can't go very fast" are absolute fools. The impact of their head hitting the ground is the same off a motorcycle, a scooter, or a bicycle for that matter. The only advantage one has on a bicycle (in relationship to attainable speeds) is that, because of the MUCH lower speeds compared to a motorcycle, a person has much more control over HOW they go down, and are therefore less likely to hit their head with as much force. The only difference that speed is really going to make is how far you slide along the X axis after hitting... providing you don't meet up with an object on the Y axis to bring you to a sudden stop! This is where a full face helmet comes in handy (even after the initial impact), in that if you are face down during said slide, your face remains where it belongs.

#13 ·
so instead of a open face should I look at a full face to keep with me longer than the vespa?
if so i would probably raise my budget big time.
also would a full face street helmet suffice on the dirt? no jumps or anything crazy just dirt roads.
as in for a dual sport to be used both on the street and dirt would it be better to have two helemets or one?

#14 ·
I didn't mean to say that Teknic, Fieldsheer, FirstGear and Joe Rocket aren't any good. They're all fine. Find a jacket/pants that will suit your needs and that you'll wear every time you get on the bike/Vespa/whatever on the street. That's the important part.

I would agree about getting a full-face helmet. The extra protection from the chin bar is a real plus in saving your face from getting ripped off. Dont' worry about what others think of it on a Vespa.

I've been told that dirt bike helmets are more open for three reasons. First is to allow for more air to flow so they're not so hot. Second is to allow for dust to blow off (you wear goggles?). And third is for greater visibility. If you do serious dirt riding and ride on the street, you'll need both. If you only want to get one, I'd try a street helmet for riding on dirt roads. Maybe remove the visor and wear glasses/goggles, but I'm biased in favor of street helmets.

#15 ·
crx81 said:
Check it out...
This pretty much clinches my opinion of JD Power as crap. How can ICON and H-D rate the same as Shoei?????

What the hell does "customer satisfaction" mean in this case? How well owners like them? Harley owners love their Harley helmets. What a surprise.

#17 ·
RayOSV said:
I didn't mean to say that Teknic, Fieldsheer, FirstGear and Joe Rocket aren't any good. They're all fine. Find a jacket/pants that will suit your needs and that you'll wear every time you get on the bike/Vespa/whatever on the street. That's the important part.

I would agree about getting a full-face helmet. The extra protection from the chin bar is a real plus in saving your face from getting ripped off. Dont' worry about what others think of it on a Vespa.

I've been told that dirt bike helmets are more open for three reasons. First is to allow for more air to flow so they're not so hot. Second is to allow for dust to blow off (you wear goggles?). And third is for greater visibility. If you do serious dirt riding and ride on the street, you'll need both. If you only want to get one, I'd try a street helmet for riding on dirt roads. Maybe remove the visor and wear glasses/goggles, but I'm biased in favor of street helmets.
thanks for the input I think that is the way I am going to go.

#18 ·
I've ridden in rain and hail in textile gear before. I did not get wet.

#22 ·
:brick
just realized, feel like an idiot
I won't be getting a scooter until October at earliest and I won’t take the MSF until I get the scooter or know when I will.
not sure why I am looking for gear this early when new models or versions could come out as well as the possibility that the mom will let me go straight to something more like a dual sport or a 250R.
so this is pretty stupid to be filling up the forums with this stuff.
:locked ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.