On the fence - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On the fence

Hey all, I am new to riding and have zero experience. I recently got my permit. First, while I am excited to ride for the miles savings on my truck and gas savings (daily commute is 80 miles round trip), I am also quite nervous in general and feel a bit intimidated. Of course I am getting mixed reviews from friends on ride on what to get for first bike. The typical being "250\300 is too small get a 600" or "250\300 is just fine". I am a bigger guy at 6' 270lbs. I plan to lose another 50lbs by spring though.

I love the look of the R3 and it appears to be reasonably priced for a new bike. But it is too impractical for a first bike? I feel it is safe to assume I will dump my first bike several times as I gain experience. In which case spending $5k seems a bit much. Maybe an older 250\300 for a couple grand is better? Money isn't that much of an issue really. But still. Maybe I am over thinking it. Also, I am from MN and it gets VERY hot in the summer and we have limited riding season cause winter sucks.

I also visited a dealer Saturday and sat on several bikes. Doing so really helped me get even more excited to ride and help ease me a bit about my partial lack of confidence.

The bikes I sat on include: 2016 Ninja 300, 2014 and 2015 CBR500R, 2014 CBR300R, New 1000cc.. forgot the make, and an R3

As expected, the 300s felt the easiest to control underneath me. I wish I could have actually taken them for a short ride. But the 500 felt more solid. The saleman was cool and mentioned the 500 was about 80lbs heavier than the 300. It surprised me how different they felt with an only 80lb difference. I guess that is a significant difference though really for a bike. He of course recommended something larger than the 300. Likely because the next bike up was $2000 more. LOL. He seemed quite sure the 300 would be underwhelming. At least with the CBR and Ninja.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. I am also doing an online course and plan to do rider academy in the April.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 AM
ped
Banned

Quoted: 445 Post(s)

you could do alright on a 500 twin. honda has some neat ones.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 PM
After Me Lucky Charms

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Never listen to a saleman, he just wants to sell you a bigger bike for bigger profit. The Yamaha R3 is a fine bike. To spite popular belief, it will do interstate speeds and then some, even with 2 people.

The R3 is also better on insurance than a 500+.

I have Cystic Fibrosis, and yes I ride a Triumph Daytona 675.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quoted: 640 Post(s)

Motorcycle Ergonomics
None of your friends will be paying for this moto. I hope none of them will be riding it. Neither will your girlfriend, your dog, your drunken uncle, etc. etc. etc.
You will. So rule one is make yourself happy. Buying a bike to be "kewl" is a short term thrill. When it is gone, your are still stuck with that bike. Don't worry about size. It is the horsepower that matters. You want 40 to 70 HP to learn on. 50 is a good number. Even at 270 pounds 50HP will take you down the road at over the legal limit. And 50 HP won't scare you to the point where you won't look for your limit. T
The traditiona

"I say we pull back and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure"
FO Riply - Aliens II
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:11 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Sorry, working my Thinkpad on a wifi and got dropped, sorta.
Traditional methods become traditional because they work. When I started 50+years ago, 30HP was a lot. It is enough to kill you. Start used. Craigslist is full of older 'learner bikes' that still have life in them. For under 2,000$ That will leave dollars for insurance, gear and repairs. Even if you are like Jet Falcon and your daddy owns half of Southern California, parents like it when their children show wisdom and maturity. Makes them think they haven't wasted food money on you for years.
Tips for Newbees.
A motorcycle is not a car. Riding is different from driving. Get them confused and you die.
MSF exists to make old retired guys some pocket money, not to keep you alive. Most MSF riders seldom leave the parking lot.
Always have a escape planned. Motorcycles go where you look. If you look at something you are about to hit, you WILL hit it. Look a little to one side and miss it. A planned escape is having a place to look at/for when the feces hits the rotary air impeller.
Never intentionally pass on the right. Jump on you tube and watch some motorcycle vids. A lot of them are from passing on the right. Don't be that guy.
In case it got buggered;
Motorcycle Ergonomics
Just follow directions. You haven't ridden enough yet to know if you like motorcycling or the idea of motorcycling. For not much money and a year or so you can find out without dying.
ALWAYS wear your gear.
It's the rider not the ride. I had to quit. I have retinopathy and am going blind. Good as I am, riding blind is beyond my skill level. So I sold Adele ('05 FZ-6) the first of Feb.
LEARN TO RIDE then BUY THE BIKE YOU WANT.

FO Riply - Aliens II
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Mess with the Bull.....

Thanked 1,756 Times in 964 Posts
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

Are you open to other suggestions? Like, do you want a true Sportbike with full fairings or would you be OK with a more naked style bike? I ask because if you're open minded there are a ton of great bikes to choose from.

SBN Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to PM me with any questions or concerns
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 1,077 Times in 742 Posts
Quoted: 818 Post(s)

And, does it have to be a new bike? There are plenty of older 500 twins that are excellent bikes.

Member in good standing of the global elitist agenda
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:27 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)

I always suggest to go with an older 500 or 650. Lots of SV650's out there and they are great all around then when you out grow it you sell it for the same you purchased it for or turn it to a track bike. Of course the options are plentiful if you don't limit yourself to much. I am also against getting a 600 as a first bike ... in fact I believe that a 600 is the worst possible choice for a bike to learn on. It is my belief that you would be better to start of on a ZX14 than a 600.

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."-Albert Einstein
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nDuck View Post
I always suggest to go with an older 500 or 650. Lots of SV650's out there and they are great all around then when you out grow it you sell it for the same you purchased it for or turn it to a track bike. Of course the options are plentiful if you don't limit yourself to much. I am also against getting a 600 as a first bike ... in fact I believe that a 600 is the worst possible choice for a bike to learn on. It is my belief that you would be better to start of on a ZX14 than a 600.
Yep. SS (Super sport, high performance 600's) are difficult to ride. Very twitchy. All the power is focused at a narrow RPM range. Keeping it under control requires skills a Newbee cannot have. If they did, they wouldn't be a newbee. Before you go to a high performance moto, you should be able to ride your trainer bike around the MSF parking lot with no hands. Learn balance and control in first gear so when you fall over it doesn't hurt as much. ATGATT

FO Riply - Aliens II
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 11:48 AM
MotoVlogger

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Used 250-300CC bikes can be had for pretty cheap, are great to learn on, and usually don't take long to resell when you want to move up. I would start there just to get the feel of riding. Plus, it will give you time to shop for that perfect deal on what you really want.

Bored? Looking for info? Check here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Yes. The reason there are so many types of motos is there are many different types of moto riders.
If leaning into corners turns you on, you don't want a Harley. If the reason you want a motorcycle is to fook fat hairy females, you don't want a sports bike. The small, cheap bike will let you figure out exactly why you are riding. Motorcycles are more specialized then other vehicles.

FO Riply - Aliens II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.