Is this a fair shop price? - Sportbikes.net
 

Home Message Board SBN Chat SBN Articles Bike Specs Register Classifieds Forum Rules Advertise Contact Us

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Go Back   Sportbikes.net > Topic Discussions > New Riders
Register Subscribe Casino Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Insurance Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow


New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

» Insurance


» Site Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a fair shop price?

So...

Apparently I failed the inspection on my "new" 2006 R6 (7000 miles) because my front tire is too worn and because I have fork seal leakage (It was barely noticeable initially but I do see it now after 200-300 miles).

I found the stock front tire (Dunlap Sportmax Q2) online for $109. They seem to get good reviews so I'm opting into getting it. It'll also match nicely with my rear tire. The rear tire still has a good amount of thread left, the mechanic doing the inspection agreed.

I was quoted $350 at both of my two local shops. This is the cost for the full job of ordering + mounting the new tire + redoing the fork seal. Is that a fair price to pay?

Considering I'll pay $109 for the tire if I order it myself, will it be cheaper if I bring the tire to them? That would leaves the fork seal and mounting part. Can they really charge me $241 just to mount the tire and for the fork seal job?

I'm quite inexperienced, as you can tell. I would greatly appreciate any help.
I WANT to get the work done because I love this bike and want it to ride well. I just want to save as much money as possible at the moment.


Also, how much would it cost to replace the clutch on a '06 R6?


Thanks!
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
kevin_stevens
Mediocre Strafer
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Gameroom cash: $895
Sportbike: Ex-rider
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
kevin_stevens will become famous soon enoughkevin_stevens will become famous soon enough
Default

The cheapest practical approach, if you have facilities to support the front of the bike, is to remove the front wheel and fork legs yourself, and take them in to the shop. This should save you at least an hour's worth of labor charges over dropping the whole bike off. Often a shop will price match a tire price from the internet, and it's better to offer them the opportunity if they're doing the work.

You should have seals changed in both forks, as well as the fork oil change that would normally accompany this service. Both forks need fresh fluid after this long, and if one seal has failed it is likely that the other side will, too.

One of the more common reasons for a blown fork seal is slamming of the front wheel down from wheelies, so if it were my bike I'd also check the steering head bearings for excessive play.

Clutch plates will cost $100-150 for a new set.

All of these things can be done with minimal tools and experience, and are in fact good beginner projects (assuming the clutch problems aren't more involved than just a plate change). I wouldn't go inside the forks, it's not especially difficult but it requires some specialty tools.

KeS
__________________
My rider resume.

Last edited by kevin_stevens; 11-24-2012 at 06:49 PM.
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevin_stevens For This Useful Post:
JustSaying (11-24-2012), USAFgsxr750again (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
The cheapest practical approach, if you have facilities to support the front of the bike, is to remove the front wheel and fork legs yourself, and take them in to the shop. This should save you at least an hour's worth of labor charges over dropping the whole bike off. Often a shop will price match a tire price from the internet, and it's better to offer them the opportunity if they're doing the work.

You should have seals changed in both forks, as well as the fork oil change that would normally accompany this service. Both forks need fresh fluid after this long, and if one seal has failed it is likely that the other side will, too.

One of the more common reasons for a blown fork seal is slamming of the front wheel down from wheelies, so if it were my bike I'd also check the steering head bearings for excessive play.

KeS

Thanks for your post. I also assumed the previous owner was wheeling it. He claimed he didn't and said the bike was always well taken care of it. Doesn't matter now, I guess.

IF I'm unable to take the forks/tire off, does it make sense to order the tire and bring it to them with the bike to do the service or should I just bring the bike and let them do everything? I don't have a stand for the front and never did this kind of work so I'm a little hesitant to mess with the steering of the bike.
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jim Moore
World 500 GP Racer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,557
Gameroom cash: $60035
Sportbike: 2007 CBR600RR
Thanks: 3
Thanked 587 Times in 284 Posts
Jim Moore will become famous soon enoughJim Moore will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
IF I'm unable to take the forks/tire off, does it make sense to order the tire and bring it to them with the bike to do the service or should I just bring the bike and let them do everything? I don't have a stand for the front and never did this kind of work so I'm a little hesitant to mess with the steering of the bike.
Check with them before you do that. A lot of shops will not mount a tire from an outside source.

It's probably best to eat the cost this time. After that, buy some tools, read, study, and learn how to do your own maintenance. You will always make money in the long run that way.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL
'99 BMW R1100S
'02 BMW R1150GS
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Moore For This Useful Post:
JustSaying (11-24-2012), USAFgsxr750again (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Check with them before you do that. A lot of shops will not mount a tire from an outside source.

It's probably best to eat the cost this time. After that, buy some tools, read, study, and learn how to do your own maintenance. You will always make money in the long run that way.
Those are my plans. This one issue caught me off guard though.
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
kevin_stevens
Mediocre Strafer
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Gameroom cash: $895
Sportbike: Ex-rider
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
kevin_stevens will become famous soon enoughkevin_stevens will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
Those are my plans. This one issue caught me off guard though.
The clutch caught you off guard as well. And if you didn't notice the front tire was worn, it's likely that there are a number of other issues that are still waiting to "catch you off guard".

Why don't you give the shop an extra $20 to go through the bike and make recommendations (head bearings, coolant, brake pads, brake fluid, chain/sprockets, battery, air filter). Then you can start to plan to catch the bike up on repairs and deferred maintenance.

You had to go out and buy a race replica bike. They are relatively maintenance intensive as vehicles go. Yours is used, and has at least two symptoms (clutch and fork seals) of having been abused. Expect to be spending some money on it.

KeS
__________________
My rider resume.
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_stevens For This Useful Post:
JustSaying (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
The clutch caught you off guard as well. And if you didn't notice the front tire was worn, it's likely that there are a number of other issues that are still waiting to "catch you off guard".

Why don't you give the shop an extra $20 to go through the bike and make recommendations (head bearings, coolant, brake pads, brake fluid, chain/sprockets, battery, air filter). Then you can start to plan to catch the bike up on repairs and deferred maintenance.

You had to go out and buy a race replica bike. They are relatively maintenance intensive as vehicles go. Yours is used, and has at least two symptoms (clutch and fork seals) of having been abused. Expect to be spending some money on it.

KeS

Good tip. I'll speak to the guy about it. The bike runs 100% minus the clutch.
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
rgbeard
World Superbike Racer
 
rgbeard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Age: 47
Posts: 470
Gameroom cash: $4778
Sportbike: 2001/Triumph/Speed Triple
Thanks: 193
Thanked 188 Times in 103 Posts
rgbeard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
Good tip. I'll speak to the guy about it. The bike runs 100% minus the clutch.
It should run 100% (in one spot) without a functioning clutch.

Not to rub a sore spot, but as you've been caught off guard so easily I would second the notion that a professional make that determination of running 100% or not. I would bet I could find three maintenance items on it myself, today, given the opportunity.
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
kevin_stevens
Mediocre Strafer
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Gameroom cash: $895
Sportbike: Ex-rider
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
kevin_stevens will become famous soon enoughkevin_stevens will become famous soon enough
Default

Yeah, just ride it out here and we'll check it over for you.

KeS
__________________
My rider resume.
kevin_stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_stevens For This Useful Post:
JustSaying (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Yeah, just ride it out here and we'll check it over for you.

KeS
Move to NY
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
JustSaying
World Superbike Racer
 
JustSaying's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 599
Gameroom cash: $4494
Sportbike: '06 R6 Raven/ '08 Ninja 250R
Thanks: 367
Thanked 72 Times in 44 Posts
JustSaying is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
It should run 100% (in one spot) without a functioning clutch.

Not to rub a sore spot, but as you've been caught off guard so easily I would second the notion that a professional make that determination of running 100% or not. I would bet I could find three maintenance items on it myself, today, given the opportunity.
I already admitted to my inexperience with motorcycle maintenance and troubleshooting. I will ask the mechanic to do an overall inspection of the motorcycle and I'll go from there. I rode at least 4 well maintained bikes before and this one rides as well as any of them. That's the only reason why I said it rides 100%.
JustSaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
rgbeard
World Superbike Racer
 
rgbeard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Age: 47
Posts: 470
Gameroom cash: $4778
Sportbike: 2001/Triumph/Speed Triple
Thanks: 193
Thanked 188 Times in 103 Posts
rgbeard is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
Move to NY
I believe you'd find Mexico's west coast a somewhat eye-opening experience. Consider Kevin's offer first.
rgbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgbeard For This Useful Post:
JustSaying (11-24-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
snlsmith
World Superbike Racer
 
snlsmith's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Allen, TX
Age: 44
Posts: 474
Gameroom cash: $28507
Sportbike: 2003 Ducati 620 SS 2006 CBR600rr - SOLD
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 7 Posts
snlsmith is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
Move to NY
Too bad you didn't post this up a couple weeks ago. I spent a week up in Manhatten for work with nothing to do at night. I would have been glad to run out and look it over for you.

In the quote from the shop, how much of that price was the tire?
__________________
www.NavyChief.com, www.RideSmart.info, www.tanktredz.com, www.ororcycle.com, http://scracecenter.com
snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
I-Jo
Moderator
 
I-Jo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,523
Gameroom cash: $122269
Sportbike: 2004 Honda CBR F4i
Thanks: 3,138
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
I-Jo will become famous soon enoughI-Jo will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying View Post
Move to NY
Please. Everything in the.city is a mess. No one wants to MOVE to ny lmao.


That being said. To be 100% honest and fair.... The lot holes in the city are extensive and really no joke. If the previous owner really rode in the city a lot he probably didn't HAVE to be doing a lot of wheelies to blow the seals- maybe only a handful of really bad ones coupled with the pot holes... Esp if the rider is inept at avoiding them. The roads up there are insane.


But yeah I would have the shop go over it.

None of the shops here have an issue taking out side tires... Only one or two will price match though.
__________________
I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
I-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Jo For This Useful Post:
kevin_stevens (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Süsser Tod
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mexico, Mexico City
Age: 35
Posts: 5,676
Gameroom cash: $37354
Sportbike: GSX-R 600 - Versys 650 - XJR1300
Thanks: 164
Thanked 985 Times in 585 Posts
Süsser Tod will become famous soon enoughSüsser Tod will become famous soon enough
Default

Tire, fork seals and clutch, that's a Saturday and a 6 pack job for an experienced DIY guy...


Now, how on earth is the front tire worn with only 7000 miles? That bike sounds like it was rebuilt and pieced together. You must have it checked on a good, reputable, shop.
__________________
Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fair price for new 07 FZ6? doug_c FZ6/FZ6R 33 05-21-2007 04:58 PM
Fair is Fair? What price do you think dealerships should charge Fred General Sportbikes 13 06-21-2005 02:52 PM
How much is a fair price ? redwing General Sportbikes 1 02-24-2005 03:13 PM
Fair price jrod178 General Sportbikes 5 06-04-2003 09:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0
© 1997 - 2007 Sportbikes.net INC. All Rights Reserved.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6
1199 Panigale Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1
Ducati Monster Harley Forums Honda CBR250R ZX10R Forum Star Raider
Suzuki GSXR V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Kawasaki Motorcycles Star Warrior
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Honda Fury Kawasaki Versys Drag Racing
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Triumph 675 MV Agusta Forum Streetfighters