Sv 650 for first bike take 2 lol - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
New Riders Welcome to those just starting out or interested in learning more about motorcycling. Please read the stickies, and feel free to ask questions.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Talking

I stared out on a Yamaha 100 Enduro at 5 ft. 8 inches,130 pounds.I rode for a few months on the street and fire roads until I was able to ride it around at full throttle every where.I knew then I needed to move up.
My next motorcycle was a 1975 Honda Goldwing,and although I scared myself with my initial attempt at full throttle acceleration, I already had the skills using the controls and was not intimidated by this.I went on to enjoy the larger bike relating it to the basic characteristics of riding the smaller bike.If the rear tire broke traction I knew to ease up on the gas and recover instead of being surprised.
I'm glad it worked out that way for me!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
St'er and Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you like the SV, get the SV.
Take the MSF course if you haven't already, and get on with the learning.

My return to Motorcycling bike was an ST1300, after being gone for 20+ years.

I race(d) an -01 SV650, and loved the bike. Same power characteristics as my ST, and a bulletproof engine. Suspension was reworked on mine, and mine had braided lines and EBC -HH brakes. It stopped fine on the track.

As far as the SV keeping up on the interstate...
I liked the SV's engine enough that I bought a DL650. Same engine, detuned a bit, with a DS frame/look. I cruise at 75 on the Mass Pike at about 5500rpm, and still have enough power to spare to pass when necessary. The ST does it more effortlessly, but there's still enough to get going.

One poster mentioned Sport Touring the bike. I think the ergos would tire one out, but people tour on many bikes. That's a choice you'd have to make.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.