Sport Bikes banner

New rider looking for a helmet

6K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  Fabian 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just purchased a used GSXR600 and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions on a helmet. Thanks for the help!

#8 ·
The Cycle Gear in Mesa used to be really good, had a huge selection. Haven't been there in a few years though, but the store employees will help you get a good fit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: SFbiker13
#11 ·
I have a ICON alliance and like it. Its not Snell rated but if your not going to be doing track days then it will be fine. Try on the Speed & Strength brand, the padding on those is awesome. Also look at the Scorpion and Bell line of helmets. I'd only go with Shoei or Arai if I was going to do some hardcore riding or alot of track days as those helmets are top of the line and can get a bit expensive.

#14 ·
I've had an expensive AGV and thought it was ok, crash tested it and it worked great. Now I have a Bell RS1 for half the price and I love it. More comfortable, flows tons of air, and gives great visibility. Plus they have Transitions shield.

#15 ·
1) Is this your first bike?
2) It's all about the fit, fit, fit. Find the store with the biggest selection near you, and try on helmets from all brands. I have a big, funny-shaped head with a mop of Italian hair on it - none of the Arai helmets I've tried fit, but most Shoei ones have been ok. I ended up with a Bell Vortex, which was also pretty reasonably priced, great padding + build quality.

#16 ·
Best expensive Helm I've owned is a bell star.

I've used soumy and a older shoes and the bell has better air flow and fits my head better. But the shoes and soumy are a few years older then my bell.

Icon Alliance ssr line is a good entry level helm but I wouldn't do much tracking or touring in it. There a bit heavy. I have crash tested it and it worked out just fine.

Sent from my DROIDX

#23 ·
As far as helmets go, as long as it is SNELL rated it is fine.

A lot of people question why I refuse to buy a DOT only helmet, and quite simply it is for security. DOT helmets are inspected and claim to have met that requirement from the manufacturer, it is not independently tested. However, to obtain a SNELL rating, the SNELL Organization independently tests helmets and provides them with this.

So, why do I wear only SNELL, regardless of on the street or track? Because I trust an independent agency over the corporation trying to sell its helmet. Additionally, what happens if they claim it is DOT and it isn't? They get fined, and told to meet the standards. That's it, not a huge punishment.

So, who will you put your head in? A company's trust, or an outside, noninterested investigative third party?

To answer your question, helmets that I've had:

Bell Star - fantastic helmet. Runs big.
Shoei X-11 - probably my favorite helmet, helped me survive a 90 mph bump on the head.
Scorpion EXO-1000 - heavy, not that great. Only feature I liked was the drop down sun visor. Held up to two crashes (120mph and 95mph), although I shouldn't have been wearing it in the second one .I was very lucky.
HJC CL-16 - good street helmet, wouldn't track it personally.
HJC RPS-10 - probably the only helmet that comes remotely close to the X11. Best thing about it is how wide the visor is, I can see soooooo much more (although, for a street rider this isn't as important)

#24 ·
I don't believe any AGV helmet is Snell certified, but mine worked well in a crash, and many top racers wear them. They just build to Euro standards which many say are better than Snell. So don't let Snell be a dealbreaker, do some research.

#25 ·
I just said SNELL because I figure anyone who does enough research to learn about the ECU standard and decide whether they prefer it to SNELL, doesn't need my $.02 about new rider helmets any more. ;)

I did have an ECU-rated helmet (Shark) fail tech at a local drag strip where they specifically required SNELL, but it hasn't been an issue for trackdays.

KeS

#29 ·
I mean, I'm sure 99.9% of full face helmets out there are good, and you'd have to buy some really odd off brand to get something bad. Its just that the Snell and European standards are a fool proof guarantee. Additionally, since I ride track, I like knowing that they can absorb higher impact levels (because the standards are higher) than just a DOT helmet. Who knows, my 100+ mph crashes could have been much worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.