Sport Bikes banner

Another 650 vs 600 comparison

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  knotheadedfool 
#1 ·
Well, I was riding a local backroad last night with a few friends and we took turn swapping bikes. Everybody knew the road intimately but was unfamiliar with each others bikes and were of varying skill levels. I got to take a few rounds on a 07 zx6r and the owner of the 6 took my sv. We had a third party, currently bikeless atm, try both out aswell. I expected the 600 to be different in the way of things like better feel,smoothness, etc but still the same basic handling characteristics.

I was completely wrong. While the sv was very neutral and liner in regards to steering inputs, the ninja would almost fight the initial input and then suddenly fall into the turn. The sv felt more open to steering adjustments mid corner while the 600 wanted to stay the course. I think I get what people say when they call non supersports "forgiving"; Everybody stated how easy the sv was to ride quickly. The sv will let you throw her in easily, adjust mid corner, and pin the throttle on exit. The sixxer wants you to get it right the first time and be much more precise with your inputs.

One friend described it as:
The sv is like a girl who's easy going, cool to hang with, and will put up with bs. She may not be the hottest around but shes always up for a good time. The ninja is like a neurotic playboy bunny. Drop dead gorgeous and can "perform" nothing short of your wildest dreams but is very highstrung, intolerant of your mistakes, and will go off on you if you dont watch your step.

Which do I prefer...? Well, I love them both. They both have great attributes. The sv is so easy to ride quick on a tight backroad but lacked that sex appeal and power. The power of the ninja is intoxicating and feels like it will never end, just pure sex in the form or rpm's but seemed like it need a little more room to stretch its legs and made you really work for it on the narrow twisties.

Conclusion: I'll take one of each please

See less See more
#10 ·
I get what you're saying, i feel the same way swapping between my fz6 and my gf's gsxr.

I attribute it to the wider flat fz1 bar that I have as opposed to the clipons on hers. The slightest countersteering input and mine just falls over into turns. Because it takes so little input it adjusts mid corner much easier. Those swept back clipons seem to need much more powerful inputs, just a leverage thing I guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.