Sport Bikes banner

New Rider in California (Questions)

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  rgbeard 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new member here.

I have a few questions that I'd hoped could be answered by a few of you guys...

I have a yamaha yzf-r6 (2001) that I plan on riding to and from school (as well as around my town here in california)

I am 17 years of age at the moment.

I know you guys generally do not recommend 600cc SS bikes for anyone just starting to ride street, and I understand why. I'm not so naive to think myself invincible, but given the short distances and lower speeds of the area I will be navigating (plus I will be putting in time at some of the Yamaha track days around my area of Cali) I think that I can keep myself pretty safe. I have riding equipment.

Questions:

1. Do I need to take a MSF before I get my motorcycle permit? I have completed my drivers training/drivers education (here it says I do not, but I've seen other places it says I do.) This says I do not...?

2. When coming up to a round-about, are you allowed to lanes split to the front?

These are the question I'm most curious of as of now, if anyone can assist me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!:)

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm from Cali.
You can go take a written test for the permit and receive it on spot. (if you pass) It's not hard, I went in there without doing any study whats so ever, passed it. JK, I failed so I picked up a handbook, sat there and read it for 20 min, took it again and passed. Then I went to a bike dealership and bought my first brand new first bike!
I don't understand your 2nd question.... at all. lol
Btw, you'll be cool on the 600 man don't trip.

#5 ·
Welcome to the world, I glade you have a bike now get out and learn how to use it.
Take the MSF corse make sure you have enough insurance. Just Ride.
1st I would not ride it to and from school until you are super efficient on a motorcycle. There is a lot about riding that has nothing to do with starting and stopping the bike. Your classmates are trying to run you over. That pack shifted and now you are in a bush. So on.
2nd. The track and street have nothing in common. Most pro racers do not ride street because they don't have the skill set to deal with deer, kids chasing balls, crap falling of of trucks, traffic coming at them.

#9 ·
I've got a fair amount (60+ hours) on the street, so it's not as if I'm starting from nothing. I have insurance, and my dad rides his r6 daily as well.

When it comes to school, I have little other transportation options but the ride is relatively safe (I know of three other guys who ride daily)

I have a little over 60 hours of experience on the street alone.

#7 ·
Scratch that, since you're under 17, you will have to take the course for a license. But I'm sure the permit is the same way. And take the course before you turn 18. They give you a huge discount to take the course! The one I looked into charged $150 for under 18 and $250 for the rest of us old farts.

#12 ·
might as well be is Kevin's point.

You need a permit to take the MSF... at least in all the states I have come into contact with on the East coast. I would assume it is the same in CA.

The permit isn't a road test- go to their DMV site- they probably have a downloadable book for you to look through- I would highly recommend reading it- no shit. people walk in cold and fail the test all the time.

get the little piece of paper- and sign up for the MSF. take MSF.

practice in the parking lot A LOT. Ride mid day- or late at night when the roads are empty- avoid rush hour (6-9/10- lunch time 11:30-1:30) and PM rush hour.

When you get bored of practicing drills- do it at least another 100 times.

Don't forget to budget gear (YOU NEED GEAR) and insurance and things into the equation. Be safe, ride as if no one can see you and don't be afraid to ask questions!

#15 ·
The MSF is completely voluntary. You do not HAVE TO TAKE IT. You want your learners permit, go to the DMV and take the written test.

Now what's legal and what's intelligent may be different. The MSF replaces your practical DMV riding test in the state of CA to get your M license. So that consists of getting on your bike, starting it, and going around a low speed circle while your tires don't touch the painted lines of said circle. That's it. You basically have to make a u turn. It's harder than you think as the path is relatively narrow, but it's a joke at the same time as this doesn't even remotely encompass what you need to do to be a competent rider.

So on the other hand, if you take the MSF, it's 250-275 bucks (if my memory serves) and it teaches you much more information than some jackwad with a clipboard telling you to go 5mph around a circle in a parking lot does. If you pass the MSF class, you have to take the written test at the DMV to get your M license. Do you already have your M class learners permit and you just passed the MSF class? Congratulations, you now have your license! Easy peasy.

To answer question number 2, CHP states that lane splitting is legal if done safely and at low speeds. Basically meaning that it's up to them and their discretion. And yet I have a feeling that you really REALLY don't need to worry about this if you don't know how to get your license. ;)

#17 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid your first answer is false. I finally got in contact with the DMV today, verified that, as of January 11, 2011, ALL riders under the age of 21 MUST do the MSC before applying for a PERMIT or License.

I knew how to get my permit/license, but there was contradicting information on the DMV.

The second point is more helpful. I guess, if it's safe, it's legal. Judgement call, as so much of street riding is.

Thanks for all the other help guys :)

#20 ·
Oh and because everyone somehow missed this, in the state of California even if you have completed the MSF course(s) and gotten your Motorycle Permit in the state of California, you are not legally eligible for a Motorycle License until the age of 21. Yup, you can knock out all the courses and written test and ride to your hearts content, but you still have to wait til you are 21 before the DMV will even entertain the idea of issuing you a Motorcycle License.

Found this out in my BRC course and my wife found out at the DMV when she transferred from KY to CA Driver Licenses. She has been legally licensed for 3 years in the state of KY but CA won't let her have a CA one until she is 21. She was PISSED.

#21 ·
Might wanna check out a different DMV - I've had multiple friends under the age of 18 get their licences now. If you make an appointment there should be no issues. I would attempt to call the DMV as well. Even as a minor you can get your license, they can't discriminate based on age. You just go in, take the written test (if you've done the msc like you should have) and you will automatically receive your motorcycle license.

From the DMV Drivers book:
Minors’ M1/M2 License Requirements

To obtain a Class M1/M2 license, you must:

Complete the requirements listed above.
Be at least 16 years old.
Hold a Class M1/M2 permit for 6 months prior to the issuance of a motorcycle license.
NOTE: The skills test may be waived for a person presenting a valid DL 389; however, you may be required to perform an observation test for a motorcycle only license.

Adults’ 18 through 20 Years of Age M1/M2 Permit Requirements

To obtain a Class M1/M2 instruction permit, you must:

Complete the application requirements.
Provide a Completion of Motorcycle Training Certificate (DL 389) from an approved CHP motorcycle rider training course. Applicants under 21 years of age are required by law to provide a DL 389 before issuance of an instruction permit. Motorcycle training courses are located throughout California. For more information and to locate the nearest training site, call 1-877RIDE-411 or visit California Motorcyclist Safety Program.
NOTE: The Certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) is valid for 12 months from the issue date.

Adults’ 18 through 20 Years of Age M1/M2 License Requirements

To obtain a Class M1/M2 license, you must:

Complete the requirements listed above.
Hold the Class M1/M2 permit for 6 months prior to issuance of a motorcycle license.
NOTE: The skills test may be waived for a person presenting a valid DL 389; however, you may be required to perform an observation test for a motorcycle only license.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.