Sport Bikes banner

Excited and Bummed at the Same Time

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  usernamedoug 
#1 ·
Hi people! I'm new here. Basically I only found this forum because I use the motorcycle.com (tapatalk) app and decided to check it out. I had no idea that there was a beginners forum at this site or I would have registered long ago!

Okay, so I took and passed the MSF course a few months back. I had just bought my 2004 SV650N but I wasn't going to ride without instruction and gear.

I happen to have these pics of my gear on hand so I'll post some.

After the course I picked up a new helmet...

This~

A new jacket.

This~

Some cheap cordura (xelement) pants that I replaced with these from firstgear~

Got these (awesome btw... saved my hands!)

And these~

Then bought these~

But they didn't fit as well as I wanted so I got these~

I also have a spine/tailbone protector because they pad that came in the jacket is not enough imo... AND I know what it's like to be in a wheelchair and have multiple back surgeries... not good.

Anyway, it had been a few months between when I got my course cert. and now my M1 (endorsement) and I'm finding out two things...

1. I must have a short term memory because I feel like I forgot a lot of what the course taught. I really wish I could make those assholes at the DMV pay for another go round!

and

2. It's actually kind of scary getting back on after some downtime. I should point out here that I had a decent lowside before I put the bike up so that doesn't help matters at all...

I guess on one hand I'm really excited because I finally got out and just putted around for a bit, but also bummed to feel like I'm starting from square one. :(

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself... and rant a bit. :)

Oh, also, the changes to my gear was mostly a result of that lowside. I didn't get hurt (much) but I felt that while the Shift street boots are better than shoes full race boots would be a better option. Also those xelement cordura pants? I wouldn't put them on someone I hate! The knee just shredded at the first sign of touchdown and the crotch tore open... nope... all leather for me from now on. ;)

See less See more
#3 ·
Just keep a calm head and relax. Makes all the difference in the world. Welcome to the largest and most knowledgable group of motorcycle assholes on the net!

:twofinger <---official SBN welcome sign

Reactions: I-Jo
#10 ·
Woohoo! Went on my first multi mile ride! Okay so it was only two or three, but I finally got off of neighborhood and straight back road streets. I even made use of the SV's great under seat (cowl) space by shoving some prescriptions in there that I picked up along the way.

The best part was that I didn't want to go directly home from the store, that would have made my round trip only about a mile, so I turned right instead of left. The funny part was that I forgot that the road immediately changes to 60 mph... from hearing all about peoples fear of the highway I thought, oh shit... what did I do?! I forced my body to totally relax (I didn't even know I could do that) and relaxed my arm and grip. The road is pretty nasty and has two long high speed sweepers, right then left.

Everything went really well with no real oh shit moments (except for the brief 1 second panic I mentioned) and I concentrated on my riding, lane position and what the cars around me were doing, or what I thought they might...

I was kind of surprised that I could use even a little of my concentration on traffic. I really thought that the first time you'd be totally focused on shifting and braking. I guess all that practice payed off to a degree. I really want to find a big parking lot near me that I can practice in with some halved tennis balls, but all of them are way across town...

One thing I learned about my bike is that the rearset ergonomics could be better. It's kind of hard to operate the controls with these stiff race boots. I think some aftermarket rearsets would help a lot (a guy on my other forums makes some killer billet rearsets) , but I know practice will help too.

What a great ride... and I don't think I even pissed anyone off! :D

#12 ·
after market race rear sets are typically way more aggressive- my buddy had boots so stiff (I think they were Daytona stock rearsets- so still aggressive but not as aggressive as full blown race ones)... he couldn't really get out of first or second gear... they took several rides and wearings to break in-

the boots are designed for a certain rigidity- but like any shoe- they do break in a bit and you get used to the feel of things.

:) I promise- with more saddle time it gets easier.

#15 ·
This. Plus the angle of the clutch and front brake levers are usually too "high" from the factory. Although, from the pics, yours look OK.

#17 ·
as for the rear sets you can actually adjust the angle that the shift lever and brake lever are at, there is a little bit of room for adjustment on the arm that goes to the side of the engine case, and by making it longer the lever goes down. I actually have a tough time shifting if the lever isn't low enough, but it may just be something you need to get used to.

Crashing sucks, and getting confidence back in the tires after a crash is always hard. Which bike did you crash? You posted a picture of a tuono, which is instant bonus points. You'll be wheelieing through school zones in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.