Sport Bikes banner

Judge the quality of advice - Rider resumes

30K views 44 replies 45 participants last post by  OUTINFRONT 
#1 ·
Please enter your riding resume in a post in this thread. I'll start:

Handle: RayOSV (Ray)

Age: old (with kids older than a lot of you, son with a Suzuki DL-650)

Bikes owned: early 80's moped during gas crisis , '00 sv650, '05 sv1000s

Squidly stuff: learned on a Honda 55 using my older cousin's permit at age 14, HS friend's Honda 250 Scrambler mainly used to "tow" a skateboard on the street (record was 42 mph with no helmet, no shoes, and shorts/t-shirts, no accidents), some track use of a Yamaha 350 2 stroke, some use of a late 60's BSA 650 (college roommate's). All of this was before M licensing and helmet laws.

Licensing/training/experience: private msf-like instruction from an ex-military instructor, current DL with M1 endorsement. 2 track days, over 80k street miles since '00, 2 0-mph drops, one low-speed high-side with minimal damage.

Gear: Zooni 2 piece perfed leather suit, Shoei X-12 helmet, Alpinestars SMX-Plus boots, Helimot gauntlet gloves, various textile and mesh jackets and pants for really hot days.

I don't leave the driveway without proper riding gear.

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Handle: Tony216 (Tony is my first name, 216 is my number and my anniversary)

Age: I'll be 40 the day before the Mayan's think the world is going to end.

Bikes owned: currently, Buell Firebolt, HD FXD, Aprilia SR50, Speed Triple. Past: DRZsm, Husky 510, 636, R6, SV650, two FZR400's, F2, Monster S4R, GSXR750 and 1000, and a few more I can't think of.

Squidly stuff: I used to street ride my GT80 when I was a little kid. I used to like to do stoppies. My rear brakes are often used to skid my back tire. I don't do the ATGATT thing. I always wear helmet and real shoes though. I rode on permits for awhile. My first streetbike was a KZ750 (add that to the bikes I've owned). Theres lots more, I did a lot of squidly things. Hell, still do. I'm not a safety nazi.

Licensing/training/experience: I've had an M endorsement since 1995. MSF basic course, Penguin RR school, TPM race school and one of their older training schools. Lots of track days. Been roadracing for a few years and actually started to make an effort towards doing it right a couple of years ago (got a couple of Novice wins in 2010 at Loudon and a few trophies at Summit Point this year). I've done American Supercamp quite a few times, including the Pro School.

Gear: Vanson race suit, three Arai Corsairs, two different sets of Held gloves, Oxtars (something), Sidi Vortice Air, Dainese back protector, mouth piece, ear plugs and dirt gear.

#29 ·
Handle: Misfire (Chad)

Bikes owned: Indian (1), Honda (2), Suzuki (several), Husky(1), Yamaha (1)

Squidly stuff: occasional wheelie, stoppie, jumping the railroad tracks, etc..

Licensing/training/experience: Been riding street since 94 and track since 2006. I do approx. 15 track days a year.

Gear: Mesh, leather, plastic, etc..

I don't leave the driveway without proper riding gear.

#31 ·
Handle: BIGGByran (Bryan)

Current Bike(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Retired Bike(s): None

Squidly Stuff: Every time I ride. Always in full gear(Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots), riding to work and back, training with my friend trying to encourage her to ride with me so we can practice (safer cause should anything happen, we can help each other out), going 5 mph over the speed limit or trying to keep up with traffic (going 15+mph). If I remember right, one of the qualifications of a squid is one who can't corner but can accelerate fast, therefor I am. I can't practice cornering because its not safe to do it in the streets, so I will forever be a squid until I can find a safe place to practice it.

Licensing/Training/Experience: M Endorsement, Local Motorcycle Safety course by the Motorcycle Police Department, 310miles (total on all bikes) and counting.

My Gear:
Helmet - Scorpion Exo 400 Tsunami
Jacket - Xelement Tri-Tex Fabric Level-3 Armored (All season) and Shift Air Avenger (Summer Jacket, I think thats the correct name, they don't seem to make it anymore or I can't find it)
Pants - Vulcan NF-7009 (Winter) and Tour Master Venture Air (All Season, Just got them and LOVE THEM, so much more comfortable!!)
Gloves - Shift (Summer, Can't find them on a site, guess they don't make them anymore) and Xelement Basic & Waterproof Padded / Insulated Leather Gloves (Winter/Rain)
Boots - Brahma Work boots, leather, steeltoed, slip resistant, water proof.

Future Gear:
Helmet - Scorpion Exo 500
Jacket - Another all weather jacket (researching)
Gloves - Winter/Rain gloves (researching)
Boots - Better motorcycle boots that are comfortable walking on them (researching)

#32 ·
Handle: GizzyZZR6 (A.J.)

Bikes owned: 2007 KAWI ZZR6

Squidly stuff: still have my first bike, have put about 5k miles on it so far.

Licensing/training/experience: MSF basic riders course

Gear: Alpine star leather jacket, Icon CE back protector, BILT leather gloves with carbon fiber knuckles, shift riding shoes, Scorpion EXO-1000 helmet, hoping to purchase leather overpants soon.

#33 · (Edited)
Handle: GoIllini (Mark)

Current Bike(s): 2006 Triumph Daytona

Retired Bike(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2005 CBR 600 F4I (Stolen; insured)

Squidly stuff: Sometimes hit {undisclosed speeds} in light traffic after backtracking to ensure no police or obstacles. Extremely rare wheelies may have been seen. (Hey, it's New Jersey; you can do 100 down the road and people will still be passing you.)

Licensing/Training/Experience: BRC. M endorsement now in three different states. Five years riding experience, including four in Manhattan traffic. ~10k miles, many of them at 10-15 mph. A few track days.

Gear: Dainese Steel 1 pc race suit, Sidi Vortice boots, Shoei X-12 Helmet, Alpinestars GP-Tech race gloves. I will substitute hiking shoes, jeans, and a north face fleece for short trips that require me to show up in civilian clothing (EG: riding to class), but otherwise wear full race gear.

If you ever want to ride to work in full gear and show up in business formal, hit me up; it can be done.

#34 ·
Handle: DemonDuck

Bikes owned: Street bikes... 82 Honda CB750K, 08 ZX14, 12 S1000RR

Licensing/training/experience: MSF Basic, advanced, and sportbike. I have about 30k miles on the CB750k, 60K miles when I sold the ZX14, and 6k miles on the S1000RR. So close to 100k street miles. I have done about 8 track days and still ride level 2 at the track for now. I have been to the dragstrip a dozen or more times. I have had one 0-1 mph laydown.

Track Gear: 2 piece leathers, boots, gloves, X-11.
Street Gear: Jacket (one of 4), overpants (when its cold), boots, gloves, Helmet (one of 6 but usually the X-11).

#35 ·
Handle: gsJack

Bikes owned: In order, 81 CB400T, 82 CB750K, 81 CM400A, 85 CB650SC, 97 GS500E, 02 GS500

Squidly stuff: Nothing much worth mentioning, didn't start riding until 52 yo.

Licensing/training/experience: Got M endorsement when I started riding by taking state test, haven't got around to taking the MSF yet. Been riding for 28 years and have over 400,000 street miles so far. A few drops, only one accident when a kid in a S-10 hit my rear as I turned off highway onto side road about 10 years ago.

Gear: Started with an open face helmet, leather jacket, jeans, and boots for many years but got a RF1000 helmet and some armored riding jackets when we started taking rides to the Smoky Mtns back in 01 to play, still wearing jeans though.

#36 · (Edited)
Handle: MegaManX (Lane)

Bikes owned: '97 Ducati 916 Biposto, '12 Kawi Ninja 250R. Previous: CBR 600 F4i

Squidly stuff: used to run a mid-'80s Ninja 900 down every interstate in the DC area with only a helmet on. Well, a helmet and jeans and a t-shirt. I wasn't naked. Amazing I survived to finish college.

Licensing/training/experience: licensed at 18, MSF basic + sportbike, Superbike School in Las Vegas in 2012. 12 years riding with a few years off in the middle.

Gear: Shoei RF-1100, AGV Rossi "WTF!?" helmets; Dainese jacket, Dainese 2-piece suit, A* SMX-1 and SMX Plus boots, various A* gloves depending on weather.

#37 ·
Name: Ron
Years of riding: 35
Years of riding street: 23 (off and on)
Bikes owned: '94 Katana, '00 Hayabusa, '02 GSXR 1000, '02 R6, '08 1098S, WR250F... etc.
Crashes: 3 (2 major, 1 severe)
Track Exp: Yes
KneeDragger: Yes
Chicken Strips: No
Gear: Arai RX-7, Sidi Vortice, A-Stars GP Pro's, Dianese 1pc, Joe Rocket Textile, Icon Textile Pant, etc.
Willing to provide photos/x-rays/advice: Yes

Lives by: I paid the price of admission... I'm going to stay and watch the fucking movie!!!

#38 · (Edited)
Newbie Rider Resume

*NEW RIDER, NEW MEMBER*

Occupation: U.S. Navy active duty stationed in Jacksonville, FL - soon to be Norfolk, VA

Motorcycle owned: 2009 Yamaha FZ6 (first bike). I chose this particular model because it is so well-rounded (other models considered: Suzuki SV650, Ducati Monster 696, Kawasaki Versys, Kawasaki KLR650). It does many things well. I'm hoping to have a nice collection of bikes someday. Being from Milwaukee, WI originally, it was hard to overcome the "have to have a Harley" mentality.

Riding experience: Limited riding on friends' dirtbikes/4-wheelers/snowmobiles in years past. I just bought my first bike recently and have been riding it every moment of my spare time. I put about 600 miles on the bike the first week I had it.

Safety accreditation: MSF Basic Rider Course; taking MSF sport bike course on 17Apr2013; Florida D/L motorcycle endorsement.

Safety gear: Joe Rocket textile jacket; A-Star gloves; Icon full-face helmet, Red Wing Iron Ranger boots. Currently saving up to get a Shoei (or other Snell-approved) helmet, second riding jacket, motorcycle-specific boots, and pants. I don't get on the road without my gear.

Squidly stuff: none so far. I'm fortunate in that I waited to buy a motorcycle until I was old enough to be mature about it and respect the bike. It's a blessing in disguise that my parent's forbade me from having a motorcycle in my younger years.

Miscellaneous: I absolutely love riding. I can't get enough of it. I try to adopt a "ride defensively always, aggresively when you have to" attitude; know your limits. I drill myself on the BRC skills often to try and make them muscle memory. Somebody else in the thread said it best - ride as if every other car on the rode was trying to kill you. Great advice.

#39 ·
Handle: Katrider29 (Jeff)

Motorcycle(s) owned: 2002 Suzuki Katana 600

Experience: Two years street riding- 20,000 miles. Completed basic MSF course.

Squidly stuff: Began riding with only a helmet as protection. After a few hundred miles and a lot of reading on this site, I purchased full gear. Got a ticket for "failure to maintain proper lane position while on a highway with clearly designated lanes." (lane splitting) Received several well deserved verbal lashings from home-owners for tripling the speed limit in residential neighborhoods. Embarrassed some kid in a GT 500 Mustang on the highway.

Gear: Ancient Fulmer helmet, Tourmaster textile riding jacket, Suzuki textile riding jacket, Fly textile mesh riding jacket, Fly textile riding pants, mesh dirtbike stlye riding pants, Fly lined heavy gloves, Fly mesh light gloves. Alpinestar SMX-2 short riding boots. I wear a full face helmet, jacket, riding pants, gloves and boots every time I ride, no exceptions.

#40 ·
Name: John

Bike: 2004 Triumph Daytona 600 (awesome bike, but hard to find certain parts)

First Started: approx. 4 weeks ago. No kidding.

Training: Here's the fun stuff... (this is where most people either don't believe me, laugh at me, or tell me i'm an idiot). I get on youtube and search "how to ride a motorcycle." I kid you not. And i found this guy, 13mordeth and this video: This is how I learned to ride. I took my bike out into the street, never got out of first gear and I would just let the clutch out. I'd start moving, and then I'd hit the brakes. I'd do this over & over until I got used to it. Then i worked on U-turns...still in first gear...still in the street in front of my house. I had my neighbors laughing at me and joking that they would call 911 when I crashed, and I'll admit, I felt sorta goofy, but that was just 4 weeks ago and now I've got two neighbors that are wanting to get bikes!

Squidly Stuff: I'm a newb, so i've got lots of problems. I've finally stopped killing my bike at stop lights! Now, i'm working on taking off going uphill. Since I've started riding, i've encountered a bunch of different stuff. I locked up my back tire on the highway because of an accident in the road as I came around a turn. I stayed calm the whole way through and did everything that I could remember from the book you study for your permit (which is a great source of safety info). I almost got hit by an ass who tried to pass me (and several others) on the shoulder of the road. But I paid attention and that's why I didn't get hit. I got caught in the rain. That was a bit scary at first, but I thought, "if racers can do this at 150mph, surely I can do it at 35mph!" I just stuck to everything I learned up to this moment, and it worked out great.

Gear: Icon Alliance Speedmetal helmet. I think this thing is awesome!
Harley Davidson Full Finger mesh gloves (they were a gift)
Some old leather gloves from the military
I'll get more gear as I learn what's best. The guys at the bike shop just seem to be salesmen. They really have no concerns for me, and that's not a bad thing. I'm the one that has to be concerned. I just take in the info & then sort it all out. I think next is better gloves & some shoes. I'm lost in the shoe dept.

Advice: I understand that how i've learned to ride is not the most practical way to do so. But i'm still here and everyday is the best ride I've ever had. I'm still lost on a lot of things: what kind of coolant to use. am i changing my oil right. am i waving to other bikers correctly. where the hell do i get lower fairiings for a 2004 Triumph Daytona? But in all, my advice? ...learn as much as you can and be able to apply it. When any obstacle rears it's ugly head, keep your cool, stay focused & don't crap your pants. There'll be plenty of time to crap later. I've been around the planet twice and that last bit of advice has saved my life more than once.

I can't believe that it's taken 43 years to get on a bike! It's absolutely amazing.

#41 ·
:)

Handle: PCH Breeze

Bikes owned: Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Ninja 650r, Ninja zx14, FZ6, R1, S1000RR (unfortunately, not in that order)

Squidly stuff: Never started riding regularly or owned my own until I moved to Southern California. I was a t-shirt/jeans type for years, until by pure luck, the first two times I needed gear, by pure luck, I had a jacket on.

Licensing/training/experience: MSF (great instructors) and a few track days. Does scuttlebutt around bike events count? :loller I ride to work almost every day and love weekend trips out of town.

Mechanical experience: HVAC/R technician and various forms of technical positions in the HVAC/R trade (adviser, engineer, consultant, ect). A lot of the things I learned are transferable to the motorcycle technical and mechanical work. Because its more scientific and technical, I tend to over think mechanical issues. :cookie

Gear: Yes

As I get older, more track days, less canyons

#42 · (Edited)
Name: Casey

Bikes owned: 95 Ninja 500

Squidly stuff: I went out on streets before doing MSF, sometimes I get the urge to crack the throttle, I used to hate wearing riding boots because my foot wouldn't really fit under the shifter, and if it was stupid hot and I wasn't using highways I'd ride without a jacket. I've come to realize the errors of my ways though. Except the crack the throttle part.

Licensing/training/experience: 6k miles so far. Self taught myself in the neighborhood then on a 5 mile loop around my subdivision (light traffic, not many intersections. Just to practice turning at 35-40 mph) Then did MSF and started riding everywhere.

Gear:
-Jackets: Castle textile with removable liner (favorite), older Joe Rocket Leather
-Pants: Alpinestars leather pants (favorite), Icon textile pants
-Gloves: Alpinestars with knuckle guards (favorite), leather Castle
-Helmet: Fulmer Maelstrom (same as AGV K4)
-Shoes: I have Alpinestars boots but I don't like them at all. I wear work boots or basketball shoes. I plan to get a pair of actual riding shoes I like better.

Mechanical: The most intensive thing I've done yet is adjust valve clearance. Which wasn't hard, just took a long time. I've read through lots of "How To" guides and have a pretty good idea of how most everything works in an engine.

#43 ·
I am an old man, 38 years old and I have been riding motorcycles since I was five years old. I started riding street bikes around the age of 25. I started on a Shadow 600, followed by a Shadow 1100 and then a Road Star Warrior 1700. Even with this experience when I switched to sport bikes I started on a ZZR600 before upgrading to a ZX6R followed by a Ninja 1400 and then an MV Agusta F4 1000R.

I had some pretty bad knee issues which resulted in me taking a couple of years off the bike. When I started riding again I purchased a used R6S to test my knees out, I decided that I had no need for another liter bike so when I decided my knees could handle it I went for a 2013 ZX6R and I could not be happier.

I have been very, very lucky and have never laid a bike down. This is not because I don't push the bike. I can only thank experience, luck, and God for this.

At this time I have yet to do a track day. Planning on starting that new addiction next year.

Gear, Aeromoto leathers for now, upgrading soon. Sidi boots and Shoei helmet. Also some other odds and ends laying around.

#44 ·
Name : Jeff

Bikes owned
Street : 1st ever bike yamaha fs1e, suzuki ap50, yamaha dt125, vespapx125,lambretta gp150, vespa px250 , honda cb500, honda cx500 custom, honda cbr1000fl,suzuki tl1000r(loved it) yamaha r1 2001, 2x zx7r, honda cbr1000rr 05, gsxr1000 k8, yamaha r1 2010, and the bike i have now is a yamaha r1 2013

race: yamaha r6, yamaha r1 2006(very trick) , gsxr750, honda cbr1000rr05.

squidly stuff: Busted doing over 150 mph(police didnt bring video evidence to court so got off lightly with 6 points a slapped wrist and £800 fine)
Busted wheelying through lewisham high street, was made to sit a correctional course at my expense instead of court.

licensing/training: Advanced rider, national race license, wheelie school , ron haslem race school.

Riding experiance: 8years old to 16 years old school boy moto cross
16 up till now road riding
39y to 45 y club racing
tracks riden/raced:uk: brands hatch, silverstone , cadwell park, mallery,oulton park, snetterton,anglesea,pembury,croft,lidden hill,
:france: folembry, val due vien,paul rickard,magny cours,
:spain: almeria,albecette,guadix,jeref,valencia,catalunia.

Crashes: lucky for me only crashes have been track and race related and not on the road

best biking moment: 3 laps of the tt on a cbr 1000rr.
worst biking moment: having my 2010 r1 stolen from my garage.

miles on 2 wheels, lots and lots and some more.

Dream bike: i think what i have ticks all the boxes.

gear
leathers bks
helmets shark rsf , dutchinni carbon, arie corsa,
boots alpinestar
gloves knox
back protector knox

#45 · (Edited)
Great thread by the way..

User Name:OUTINFRONT

Age 40

Bikes owned:
Z 50 age 6
XLR 250 street trail brand new got license on
NS 400R two stroke
650 Nighthawk
750 Interceptor
1985 Gsxr 750 current
2008 Gsxr 750 bought new current
A bunch of xl 80-185 dirt bikes a few 4 wheeler

Squidy things:Riding in jeans and T shirt for most of my teenage years and biggest squid move wheeling and crashing a xl 185 that i was test riding..Ended up having to buy it when i returned with it trashed and me bloody..

Training: No real training just 25 years of experience under my belt and proud to say never been down on the street..

Gear Icon helmet,alpine star gloves,riding pants,auto mag leather jacket a few other non leather jackets and Icon boots..

Advice: Ride to enjoy not to destroy..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.