Sport Bikes banner

Hyosung 250r vs Ninja 250r...SPECS = ?

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  LobsterMagnet 
#1 · (Edited)
WARNING: this shit is old.

Summation: I was asking about the difference between the ninja 250 or hyosung 250.
Basically the hyo would be pulling me a bit harder on the low end, whereas the ninja would be pulling in the power band, which is high in the rpms.

I bought a ninja 250, then I bought a sv650. In the end Hyo just has too many problems at the dealership level, I didn't want to buy brand new, aftermarket sucks, it has 5 gears, etc etc.

#3 ·
I'm more partial to the little Ninja. Kawasaki has a better reliability reputation than Hyosung (think Hyundai of several years ago). There is more aftermarket support for the Ninja and it would be easier to sell down the road.

I've never been on a low displacement v-twin, but don't think you'd have any issues transitioning from a parallel twin to either a larger v-twin or an inline 4. Any new bike will take some getting-acquainted time.

I've never checked the specs on either bike, but the oil/air cooling and 5 speed transmission are detractors on the Hyosung. Belt drive is probably neutral with less maintenance and hopefully equal reliability to a chain.

#15 ·
Agree with Ray.

Let me also throw out there that I believe that the Hyosung is a good product, but the dealer network will make it inherently more difficult to work with if you need to get work done on it or parts for it.

At least Kawasaki has a good dealer network in place. Hyosung is getting there, but right now I'd still be leery about buying one of their products.

#4 ·
Do you think that the torque factor will make that much of a difference when it comes to fun and excitability? I'm going under the assumption that while I won't tire of the technicality that goes with riding no matter the bike, I will tire of slow take offs and perhaps a lack of umph from the ninja 250r. Thus even considering the gt250r.

I'm afraid of wanting a b***** bike merely for the torque if I start on a ninjette, whereas with the hyosung it may not be that much of a problem.
Thoughts? Am I going to think that this is a foolish ideation once I'm actually riding?

#6 · (Edited)
They have nearly the same amount of torque. As a new rider, you aren't going to notice the tiny difference. Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Hyosung is belt drive. On their website it says its a 520 chain (chain is spelled wrong), and I've found several pictures that show that it is in fact a chain driven. The Buell is belt driven though.

Honestly I wouldn't base your purchase on 1 or 2 ft lbs. As a new rider, I would buy a bike that I can depend on for several seasons. The resale will be much easier with the Ninja, not to mention if you need parts or service. I only know of 2 Hyosung dealers, and I know of more Kawasaki dealerships than I can count.

In the end, I think you'd be much happier if you went with the Ninja. It's been proven to be a reliable bike and the Hyosung is not going to give you any more of an advantage when it comes time to upgrade.

#7 ·
I know your not asking which one to get but I would take the ninja over that Hyosung anyday. Regardless of specs, there are many many more people who swear by the ninja. Not to mention the extensive amount of litterature on it as well. If you really wanna learn, take the ninja.

#8 ·
Just my $.02.

I have owned a GT250 R for about a year now. I have almost 9000 miles on it. It has been reliable so far. The only hiccup was a carb problem that the dealer couldn't fix, so I got 2 brand new carbs covered under warranty. Other than that issue, it has been 100% reliable. Most of the problems that people have experienced have come from poor dealer prep.

#12 ·
If you get a chance get a test ride on the Hyosung, its actually quite smooth ansd seems to be a good "bang for the buck". Resale value? Being more limited in dealer network and relatively new compared to the established Big 4? Ride which ever one "turn you on' they are both very nice machines.

Don't sweat the specs on these. the engines will feel similar in power.

#20 ·
you are making it like the power generated at higher revs on the Ninja (11,000RPM) is going to prepare you for a 600cc.

were talking ~30 Horsepower, to something ~120 horsepower. Either way, the jump from a 250 to a 600 will be huge, and something only seat time on ANY bike can prepare you for. Neither 250 will make you more suited to a 600cc, learning to ride will.....

and forget a Hyosung - heavy, unproven, HORRIFIC dealer network, KOREAN

get that Kawi and have a blast if you really are sold on a 250

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.