Dirt Bike Conversion - Sportbikes.net
Motocross / Super Motard Since Sportbikes and Motocross, Supermotord are so close we now cater to this field and will have information on these items

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Need the Track!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Dirt Bike Conversion

Hey, I was thinking of converting my 2005 Honda CRF250X to a supermoto bike. But see, the thing is, I still want to be able to ride it at the trails sometimes (Goreman, Dry Lake Beds, etc. for those who know). So, what do you guys think? Maybe I should keep the suspension the way it came stock (it is pretty stiff for me already because I only weigh 105 pounds, and no, I am not some short kid, I'm 5'10")? Maybe I should get supermoto tires for the rims I already have? I don't want to put a whole lot of money into this thing, so any cheap solutions would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance, Ben.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@llSpl@t
deat= "a dear, oh shit": what you're able to say when you hit a dear at speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:41 PM
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Ah Ben...I replied in the other thread, but it's good you started your own.

You have a TON of options when it comes to SM conversion. First and cheapest is the use of DOT tires on stock rims. Maxxis, Avon Gripster, Avon Distanzia, Pirelli Scorpion are all options (see my link in other post) for sportsman's tires.

17" wheel conversion...you can have pricey assemblies built (PM me for where NOT to go...). I have found that the easiest route is to get the Excel rims for your bike, Buchannen spoke kit and stock hubs. You can go with talon or what not, but I like using the stock hubs because then you KNOW it will fit your bike. Some of the guys I know had issues with their calipers lining up with talon hubs. But that was the mini's but I would assume it could translate.

Cheap brakes...well, kind of. Get the bracket for the stock caliper and buy a 320 mm rotor for the front...stock rear is plenty....remember this should only go on the 17" wheel...NOT the stock sportsman's wheel.

We convert my SM to dirt in 20 minutes. Swap out wheels, gearing, add a link to the chain, pull the caliper bracket and off we go...no biggie. Same goes for reverse back to SM.

Suspension-stiff is good. Most important is that it is balanced, meaning the forks and the shock move at the same time. My 250F is a stock suspension....no big deal.

Hope all this helps. Just be careful. Once you hit an SM you will never be able to get off it!!!

It's not my fault. I'm a COW-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Hawaiian
hehe dems muh gurlz. Tough as nails and fast as lightning!! w00t

You girls ROCK!!!
~Thanks for everything KH. When I finally clear my first triple, I know it's because you are with me. I miss you, my good friend.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Need the Track!

Thank you so much, I think at first I will just try using DOT tires on my stock rims like you said, just to see if I like it. Maybe then, if I like it enough, I will go and spend money on rims, spokes, a new front rotor, an extra rear stock rotor, and two new stock hubs so I can have two complete wheelsets to make switching back and forth easier.

Do you have two different wheelsets?

Quote:

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 06:04 AM
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Yeah, I have the stock wheels for dirt/trail riding and then the 17" for Supermoto. It makes switching things out so much easier.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
~Thanks for everything KH. When I finally clear my first triple, I know it's because you are with me. I miss you, my good friend.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Need the Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndebmbr
Yeah, I have the stock wheels for dirt/trail riding and then the 17" for Supermoto. It makes switching things out so much easier.
How much did it cost for everything you needed to make two sets of wheels?

Quote:
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Unfortunately I can't answer that one....I "stole" my bike with the SM wheels for less than 4k.....It was the deal of the century. The only piece I had to buy was the rear hub for the stock wheels.

I believe you are looking at around 1k for a set of SM wheels. But that depends on who you know and what you can get piece parts for. My dealership takes VERY good care of me and gives me killer pricing on OEM stuff, so I can get my Yami hubs oober cheap.

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Need the Track!

So you think that I should get all my parts at my dealership correct? I already get great deals on stuff their because we have bought 4 bikes there, and we are great friends with the head mechanic.

Quote:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

I always look online to see what the best pricing is that I can find. I take it in to my dealer and give them the opportunity to keep my business. If they come close, I will order it through them. (I don't have to pay shipping so most times they can easily beat online pricing). In most cases my dealer can beat the pricing. When I have a list I will buy all of the items from them~even the "high" ones. They are usually only $1-$5 high on any given item.

But check this out. Jeff from Procycle is offering "lace your own" kits for $529.95. This price includes the 3.5x17" front rim and spokes and the 4.25x17" rear rim and spokes. Lace it up to your stock hub and you are ready to rock. Of course you can email him and see what it would cost for him to lace them up to stock hubs. He is a SUPER cool guy. Honest and very FAST turn around. His goal is to get people out there. Give him a holler (tell him Tammy from Wisconsin sent you) and see what he can do. There is no one better out there as far as SM wheel assemblies go....he will have you wheels within two weeks.
http://www.procycle.us/main/supermoto.htm

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:50 AM
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!

Hey KH~you think we could sticky this??? Lots of posts asking about SM. I thought maybe this stickied would help?

The Realtor That Rides!

Quote:

You girls ROCK!!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Dam Munky!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndebmbr
Hey KH~you think we could sticky this??? Lots of posts asking about SM. I thought maybe this stickied would help?

Sure

Open Forum and Motocross Forum MODERATOR

The more I Learn about Women, The More I Love my Motorcycles!

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Pronounced "Hose Head"

Good info since I'm working on a WR400 conversion currently!

2002 CBR 600F4i (Red & Black)

* 600RR Swingarm
* Power Commander
* 110% Awesome

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozhead
Good info since I'm working on a WR400 conversion currently!

let us know how it turns out

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Swollen Member

Can i ask you guys a question? Why do you need special wheels for a SM?

****R.I.P. KH****
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Dam Munky!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A normal dirt bike has a 21 inch and 18 or 19 inch wheel set all the roadie tires are 17 inch. They make tires for the dirt bike sizes but just standard road stuff, no good sticky fattys.

I'd like to find a set of decent big knobbies that will fit on the gixx's rims. I got all the stuff to raise and better suspend my gixx or the 750 in the garage and make it into a wikid dualsport! There's a chengseng cheapo but I hate those tires. Cheap tires are a very good way to hurt yourself.... I speak from experience. Always go for good Dunlop, Pirelli or Michlins... what you save buying cheapies will not even come close to repairing you.

Open Forum and Motocross Forum MODERATOR

The more I Learn about Women, The More I Love my Motorcycles!

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Swollen Member

Ok i get it now. It just threw me for a loop when the guy said he is gonna get some street tires for his stock wheels. You would think that people would come out with a good street tire for stock rims.

****R.I.P. KH****
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.