Sport Bikes banner

Help?! Bike stalling everytime i release choke

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  riverszzr 
#1 ·
So, I just purchased a 07 kawasaki ninja 250r and had it tuned up today (it was sitting for about a year) and it only has 500km on it. Anyway!

Its rather cold here. Sitting around 2 degrees.
My bike starts like a beauty! No problem whatsoever.. HOWEVER, as soon as I release the choke it shuts off.

I've tried riding it for a bit so it warms up and then closing the choke and it STILL shuts off. I've tried adjusting my idle as well. This bike is mint... and it just got tuned up (today) and was running great when it left the shop.

It runs amazingly! as long as the choke is fully applied. and I know it's not good to ride with the choke applied.

Any tips boys?! Help please!!

#3 ·
They cleaned the carbs and basically checked the bike over. Air, fluids, mechanical, electrical. They also safetied it. I figured it out. This bike has a super low idle and doesn't like the cold. I had to let it warm up for about 8-10 minutes before releasing the choke. I also had to adjust my idle. Its new and I'm used to fuel injected. Darn Manitoba weather. Thank you though!

#6 ·
I know you already figured it out, but I chime in with a couple of tips.

1 Idle should be set somewhere between 1300-1500 rpm.

2 The bikes are tuned lean from the factory so drill out the idle adjustment plugs and set the needles to 2 turns as a base tune.

3 It is perfectly fine to ride with the choke on. It is best to not let it sit to fully warm up. Let it sit long enough that it will accept throttle and not die (usually less than 30s). Then ride it, incrementally reducing the choke until the bike is fully warmed up.

#8 ·
I have an 07 and had the same thing happen when I first purchased the bike. It sat for at least 6 months before I picked it up.

Seafoam will be your best friend. I poured a few ounces of it in my tank and topped it off with fuel, rode 20-30 minutes (where it would have to be fully choked to run) and it magically came back to life. Runs fine now. It does wonders, but doesn't do what a brush and elbow grease will do.

Try to start your bike choked, (I typically start it, and while it's warming up is when I put my helmet and gloves on, giving it a minute or so to warm). Leave the choke on and take off. Don't ride it hard, just ride it. When the needle gets above the first line on the temp gauge, kill the choke.

If it still stalls, you need carb work.

If you haven't been referred to this page, it's your lifeline. Everything you'd possibly need to know about the 250 you'll learn here.

Ninja250 Howto - Ninja250Wiki

Good luck man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.