Auto racer brand new to bikes - Sportbikes.net
Introduction Forum New to the website? Just register? Stopping by to say HI? This is the place!

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Auto racer brand new to bikes

Hello from SF Bay Area, California.

I got into performance driving about four years ago after taking an introductory racing course at Sonoma speedway. I took a few more and I've been hooked ever since. One day, watching a youtube video about shifting techniques, I saw a related video about a CBR1000. Watched it, then watched about 200 moto-vlogs and I instantly had a new obsession.

I have never been on a (moving) motorcycle. And yet, now it's all I can think about doing! I'm taking the MSF course in a few weeks and then once I'm all geared up, it will be time for my first bike.

My goal is to become the best rider I possibly can and have fun (duh, I guess.) After a lot of research, I've realized that I have to postpone my need for speed in order to do that safely, which is why I'm gonna suck it up and probably get a used Ninja 250, despite knowing that I'll definitely want more power soon after. I learned how to race in a four-banger Audi TT, not in an Aventador. I figure I should start small on sportbikes if I A.) Don't want to die quickly, and B.) if I want to really develop solid fundamentals.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:55 AM
what R you lookin' at?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

There's alot of middle class bikes out there nowadays to choose from

300cc
To 650cc

Look for an sv650, the miata's of motorcycles

'14 GROM 125cc's of FURY!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory- Sold
'09 Suzuki SFV-Sold
'08 Busa- Sold
'00 VFR - Sold
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Thanks , Racer X. See, that's what I've been thinking about- but from what I've read on here, there's still enough power in the sv650 to get me into trouble if I make a mistake, which I'm sure I'll do. I thought it would be a safe starter bike, but I've read about some serious pucker moments that newbs got into because of lack of experience.

I'm definitely not deadset on the Ninja250, but it seems to be the way to go to really be able to max out the bike without worrying about accidentally losing control of it. My only concern is hi-wind highway riding (the bridge out here is always windy.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:50 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 1,073 Times in 738 Posts
Quoted: 802 Post(s)

There's great joy in flogging a slow machine to its limits. There's less joy in hanging onto a much more capable machine and going a whole lot faster effortlessly.

Just be aware that a 250 can also bite back hard. And, for what its worth, the road racing club up here in Washington has a dedicated class for 250s. They are cheap and a whole lot of fun. The craziest guys race vintage Honda 160s. Those are slow as a post, but they go into every corner about five wide, all knees and elbows. The corner workers crap themselves from the chaos, but the racers have a ball.

Member in good standing of the global elitist agenda
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaolee For This Useful Post:
Jaksenko (04-06-2017)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM
SBN Newb

Greetings from Los Angeles! Looks like you have the right mindset about learning the fundamentals. Wish I knew better before I purchased a 1000cc bike as my first choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.