Tool kit rant. - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Tool kit rant.

Why is it that all the nicely packaged mechanic's sets with the form fitted cases are dual SAE/metric?? I guess there's still SAE stuff around, but I haven't put a wrench to one in decades, literally. I like the cased sets for carrying in my car and maybe even for garage use, but damned if I'm going to buy and lug around twice the number of sockets and wrenches I need.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM
World 500 GP Champion
 
arcticamt6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Age: 27
Posts: 21,249
Thanks: 1,169
Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,351 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
 
Yeah, the only time I've used SAE stuff is when building my own stuff with SAE hardware I purchased. And that's just because there's a bigger selection at the hardware store.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
arcticamt6 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
I could see it for general tool sets, I guess - but mechanic's sets? I literally can't remember the last car I bought that didn't use metric fasteners. I know it was before my 1986 300ZX Turbo. And no, I'm not excepting domestic vehicles.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Habitual line-stepper
 
kevinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 31
Posts: 11,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
You'd be surprised at how often I use standard stuff. Even on my pickup (ford) which isn't even ten years old, half the stuff is standard. And my 06 mustang- same way.

I don't know why it's mix and match. But american cars have been that way for quite some time. It's like 90-95% metric..... but then some random nut or bolt on something like the alternator will be standard.

I'll agree that I don't need to carry around SAE stuff with me most of the time, though.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
kevinwilly is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:14 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Sequentialshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 74
Thanked 499 Times in 313 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Its only the caterpillar stuff at work that throws up the weird stuff . Everyone else is on the metric and available from stock ,but CAT like to throw in sizes and threads I dont have a spare bolt or tap or die for . We need to order in those special as required .
Sequentialshift is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Habitual line-stepper
 
kevinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 31
Posts: 11,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentialshift View Post
Its only the caterpillar stuff at work that throws up the weird stuff . Everyone else is on the metric and available from stock ,but CAT like to throw in sizes and threads I dont have a spare bolt or tap or die for . We need to order in those special as required .
Well, yeah. You're in England. Deal with it.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
kevinwilly is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Sequentialshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 74
Thanked 499 Times in 313 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
Well, yeah. You're in England. Deal with it.
Yeah ,but even the crazy Hyong sung science and technologicalsistics or whatever the ferk it is chinese loader we ended up with when the company drove a recycling yard into bankrupcy manages to be all metric . Whats with the US hanging on to the old ways ? Your supposed to be the new world !!!
Sequentialshift is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Habitual line-stepper
 
kevinwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 31
Posts: 11,599
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequentialshift View Post
Yeah ,but even the crazy Hyong sung science and technologicalsistics or whatever the ferk it is chinese loader we ended up with when the company drove a recycling yard into bankrupcy manages to be all metric . Whats with the US hanging on to the old ways ? Your supposed to be the new world !!!
Pardon?

Why did everyone go and change? THAT is the better question. It really depends on the company as to what they use over here.

The real problem is that most vendors stock more shit in SAE than in metric... you can't go to a hardware store here and get as much metric shit as you can SAE shit. Even though like 85%+ of shit is metric.

It makes NO fucking sense. Anything metric that we use here at work I have to order in. If I need an SAE size of ANY type of fastener, though- I can run to our vendor and get it off the shelf in 20 minutes.

It's stupid, I know. But it's not our fault.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
kevinwilly is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
You'd be surprised at how often I use standard stuff. Even on my pickup (ford) which isn't even ten years old, half the stuff is standard. And my 06 mustang- same way.

I don't know why it's mix and match. But american cars have been that way for quite some time. It's like 90-95% metric..... but then some random nut or bolt on something like the alternator will be standard.

I'll agree that I don't need to carry around SAE stuff with me most of the time, though.
I *would* be surprised! The first domestic vehicle I owned since I was a kid was a 1994 Camaro. Everything on that car that I touched was metric (and I touched quite a bit of it). I was surprised *then* because I assumed holdover parts like the rear axle might still be SAE, but they weren't. My 1999 Corvette was all metric, and I *think* my 1989 was as well, and I know my 2001 Tahoe was.

Maybe it's just a Furd thing.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Sequentialshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,286
Thanks: 74
Thanked 499 Times in 313 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
Pardon?

Why did everyone go and change? THAT is the better question. It really depends on the company as to what they use over here.

The real problem is that most vendors stock more shit in SAE than in metric... you can't go to a hardware store here and get as much metric shit as you can SAE shit. Even though like 85%+ of shit is metric.

It makes NO fucking sense. Anything metric that we use here at work I have to order in. If I need an SAE size of ANY type of fastener, though- I can run to our vendor and get it off the shelf in 20 minutes.

It's stupid, I know. But it's not our fault.

Well being a Brit I am not one to give much love to the French ,we spent over 100 years at near constant war with em haha . But they came up with a reasonable ,easily translatable system of measurment ,that makes pretty good sense . The imperial system of inches ,feet ,yards ,fathoms,pounds etc had a certain mismatch about it . So I guess we changed as looking ahead a world standard system that works on decimal points rather than fractions makes sense ..The difference engine probably gave us a hint of how things would work in the future and metric was going to work better for that .
Sequentialshift is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM
500 GP Racer
 
blackripley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Age: 46
Posts: 819
Thanks: 227
Thanked 309 Times in 149 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Keven this is the worst rant ever who get upset about having to many tool? You can get get all metric tool sets if you look around. Take a look at Cruztools.

My issue is no matter how big the set there is always one or more crucial tools missing. I have 2 sets of t-handles nether set came with a 1/2". Only to find out when elbow deep in a repair!

Ripley is my black dog

Past bikes: 2007 Yaha R6, 2006 Ducati 749s, 2003 Honda CBR600RR, 2000 Triumph Sprint RS, 1985 Honda VF700 Interceptor, Mid 70's Yamaha 250 Enduro

2007 Yamaha vino 125, 1984 Honda Elite 150, 1979 JC Penny pinto moped
blackripley is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackripley For This Useful Post:
kevin_stevens (12-06-2012), max384 (12-06-2012)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Disgruntled Med Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sugar Notch, PA (Northeast PA)
Age: 32
Posts: 8,150
Thanks: 3,583
Thanked 4,388 Times in 2,184 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Why is it that all the nicely packaged mechanic's sets with the form fitted cases are dual SAE/metric?? I guess there's still SAE stuff around, but I haven't put a wrench to one in decades, literally. I like the cased sets for carrying in my car and maybe even for garage use, but damned if I'm going to buy and lug around twice the number of sockets and wrenches I need.

KeS
There is WAY too much SAE stuff to not include it in a standard mechanic's tool set. When I used to work as a mechanic not a day went by that I didn't use something SAE, and I was just a service mechanic; I didn't get into the tough stuff in a car that often has the weird nuts and bolts. Granted, the vast majority of stuff on both foreign (basically all metric) and domestic is metric, there is a bit of mix and match on the domestics. We used to call this hodge podge of metric and standard on American cars 'metridge.'

At this point in time, I would say a mechanic's tool set is incomplete without SAE. Maybe in twenty or more years, an SAE mechanic's tool set will be obsolete.


IBA# 56,419
max384 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
There is WAY too much SAE stuff to not include it in a standard mechanic's tool set. When I used to work as a mechanic not a day went by that I didn't use something SAE, and I was just a service mechanic; I didn't get into the tough stuff in a car that often has the weird nuts and bolts. Granted, the vast majority of stuff on both foreign (basically all metric) and domestic is metric, there is a bit of mix and match on the domestics. We used to call this hodge podge of metric and standard on American cars 'metridge.'

At this point in time, I would say a mechanic's tool set is incomplete without SAE. Maybe in twenty or more years, an SAE mechanic's tool set will be obsolete.
If you say so. My complaint is that they sell nice SAE-only sets, and nice SAE/metric sets, but I rarely if ever seem to find metric-only sets.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mexico, Mexico City
Age: 36
Posts: 5,835
Thanks: 167
Thanked 1,013 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
  
I havent seen any good metric only sets around here, for the most part I avoid tool kits and stick to individual pieces or set of metric tools.

I have lots of "old" (10 year old) SAE tools I've never had a chance to use.

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.
Süsser Tod is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Disgruntled Med Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sugar Notch, PA (Northeast PA)
Age: 32
Posts: 8,150
Thanks: 3,583
Thanked 4,388 Times in 2,184 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
If you say so. My complaint is that they sell nice SAE-only sets, and nice SAE/metric sets, but I rarely if ever seem to find metric-only sets.

KeS
I haven't priced a tool set in awhile, so I never realized that metric-only sets are hard to find. At this point I'm only buying specialty tools and add-on sets, as I already purchased a good basic set years ago. It shouldn't be hard to buy a metric-only set though IMO, so that is a valid complaint.

However, like I said, if I were buying a starter set, I would only buy a set with both metric and SAE. I'd imagine that the tool manufacturers that sell sets are marketing them toward new tool owners. Those who already have a solid base of tools aren't usually (with exceptions, of course) buying sets. At this point, I guess it makes sense for them to include SAE. If I were buying a starter set, I'd pass on a metric-only set for completeness sake.


IBA# 56,419
max384 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The muzzy tool and the motion pro alighnment tool don't agree? why? BLACK Z General Sportbikes 7 09-25-2003 10:16 AM
Rant ! Squid report Rant! in houston... cRaZe General Sportbikes 25 04-22-2002 12:26 PM
[rant]why is it so hard to find a jacket[/rant] Aviator Riders Gear 4 12-16-2001 10:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome