Tool kit rant. - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Mediocre Strafer

Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I haven't priced a tool set in awhile, so I never realized that metric-only sets are hard to find. At this point I'm only buying specialty tools and add-on sets, as I already purchased a good basic set years ago. It shouldn't be hard to buy a metric-only set though IMO, so that is a valid complaint.

However, like I said, if I were buying a starter set, I would only buy a set with both metric and SAE. I'd imagine that the tool manufacturers that sell sets are marketing them toward new tool owners. Those who already have a solid base of tools aren't usually (with exceptions, of course) buying sets. At this point, I guess it makes sense for them to include SAE. If I were buying a starter set, I'd pass on a metric-only set for completeness sake.
I have a cheap metric/SAE set I keep in the trunk of the truck for emergencies, and I have nice metric sockets and ratcheting combos, etc. that I have in the toolbox. What you can't find are ok-to-nice sets in the nice blown plastic cases where everything fits nice. I do have one for metric 1/4", which is cool because I use it so rarely that it helps to keep everything together. But it would be nice to buy those 99-piece sets in just metric.

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

I use SAE all the time, but, Kevin, you know what's in my garage.

From the half-and-half side of life, when doing a cyl head gasket on a Jaguar AJ6 or AJ16 you use nothing but metric until you get to the cam sprockets. Then you have to grab your 1/2" wrench to loosen those bolts. The metricization (?) I guess was only skin-deep.

Hey, I got to use a not-often used wrench on Friday. While changing the brake light switch on my '67 420 the original was 1". Not a wrench I often need to grab. The replacement needed a 7/8" to fit it. (yes, a brake light switch that screws into the brakes lines, activated by hydraulic fluid pressure. Don't get me started! Grrrrr.)
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbeard View Post
I use SAE all the time, but, Kevin, you know what's in my garage.

From the half-and-half side of life, when doing a cyl head gasket on a Jaguar AJ6 or AJ16 you use nothing but metric until you get to the cam sprockets. Then you have to grab your 1/2" wrench to loosen those bolts. The metricization (?) I guess was only skin-deep.

Hey, I got to use a not-often used wrench on Friday. While changing the brake light switch on my '67 420 the original was 1". Not a wrench I often need to grab. The replacement needed a 7/8" to fit it. (yes, a brake light switch that screws into the brakes lines, activated by hydraulic fluid pressure. Don't get me started! Grrrrr.)
I love those fluid pressure brake light switches. I retro fit those to my bikes as I find they last the life of the bike and don't go faulty like them stupid little micro clickers inside levers.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM
World 500 GP Racer

I hate how H-D went to Torx and allen bolts, except for the bolts used fluid changes.

2011 H-D Night Rod Special, 2009 Kaw Versys, 2008 Kaw KLR650 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.