Sport Bikes banner

93 FZR 600 wont start

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  not2slow 
#1 ·
I had just bought this bike last summer, and just so you know this is my first bike and i am learning a lot about it. The problem however is that i cant get it to start consistently. When i first got it me and my father-in-law took it apart and cleaned the gas tank, carbs, put new spark plugs in it, new fuel filter. After we did this is when the problems started.

i was riding it on the highway and it all of a sudden started losing speed and the it just went dead. there is gas in the tank still and it has spark. i thought maybe the fuel pump but i had it checked out at it is fine. right now when i try to start it it cranks but wont turn over. i was able to get it fired up once but then after i let it warm up and i tried to just ride to the end of the road and back it stalled out before i hit the end of the driveway and wouldn't start again.

any thoughts of what to check next would be awesome.

#3 ·
today i had taken my gas tank off and i was checking for fuel flow and without the filter and pump attached i got fuel flow, and when i put them back on it seemed to have stopped, so i am going to try replacing the filter tomorrow and see if it will fix the problem, thanks for the info so far any other ideas?

#5 ·
well, today i went back to my bike after work and i was checking the fuel system. i have fuel going through my filter when the system is open, but how do i check to see if it is going through the pump, i have fuel in the carbs cause i opened the drain plugs part way and i had gas coming out.

could this be a spark issue? the day this all started when we had checked the spark it wasnt the strongest of spark....they are cr9e plugs. my bike hasnt been exposed to the rain or weather, so i am getting frustrated. i also noticed that today my batterey is starting to get really strained. when i tried to start it after checking the fuel my batter was starting to really bog down. so im thinking maybe this could be a battery issue or maybe the voltage regulator

#8 ·
i dont think it is a fuel problem, i have fuel coming through my filter and pump, i think i am having a battery/spark problem. my battery at rest is reading under 12v when i put my meter on it. i noticed when i tried to start it over the last 2 days that my battery was really starting to wear down, i dont think the guy i bought from ever replaced the battery so it is more that likely the original stock battery from 1993

#13 ·
i've had my 94 fzr 600 for about 3 months and it did that when i first bought it. Check the voltage regulator it should be right under the seat. If its fried then your battery just isnt keeping its charge and its dead. Ive heard from a couple people that they fry pretty frequently compared to most other bikes in fzr's made around 94. I got mine for 50 bucks new at this motorcycle shop/junkyard and its worked fine since then.

#14 ·
sorry for the delay, had a few things come up and had to put aside my bike for a few days. i did find and purchase a new battery as my other was completely dry, and today i installed it and got my bike to start. but here is the catch....at first it wouldn't fire it would just sit there and crank and then i shook my bike from side to side and that allowed it to fire up so now i am not sure if this goes back to fuel or what. i let it stand at idle for about 20 minutes and it seemed fine.
i didnt get a chance to take it for a ride due to the weather in the area, and that is my mission tomorrow if mother nature decides to give me a break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.