Sport Bikes banner

Ninja rides fine with choke on- dies w/ choke off

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ghostriders999 
#1 ·
The bike was sitting for a while, and the bike would start but when you put it in gear or hit the gas, it'd die...so I drained the gas and put new gas in, and the bike started and now I could give it gas, and even put it in gear and ride it no problem...

The problem now, however, is that when I take the choke off, the bike does...I've tried adjusting the idle both ways- I'm not sure which way does what, and I don't have the service manual because I was away in the military and left the bike at my parents house, and they threw away all my documentation for it -_-

I also added STP Fuel and Carb cleaner...everyone told me to use Sea Foam, but I checked every store that carries any auto stuff within a reasonable distance, and no one carried SeaFoam.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to why the bike would die when I turn the choke off? Is it the idle? Are my carbs dirty/screwed up? Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
dirty carbs.

Another good cleaner is Berryman's. Autozone usually has it. Comes in a 16 oz metal bottle just like seafoam. Don't know about STP.

If you don't see improvement within a day or two, take it to a shop and have them clean the carbs. It won't take them long if they're not too busy. It's an easy job, but it's also easy to mess something up.

When you go away next put some fuel stabilizer in the gas and run it until you smell it out of the exhaust.

#3 · (Edited)
ditto dirty carbs,,

your carb has a bypass when the chokes on it opens up another hole and lets more gas go through,, the brass tube is probroly stopped up,, it has pinhole all the way around it and is easy to get to and get off,, the brass tube is screwed up into the bottom of the carb and will take a flathead screwdriver to get it out

look it up on you tube im sure someones posted a video

but since your already there,, and the tank will be off,, i'd drain the tank as they condensate sitting and the trash came from sum wheres

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.