06 zx6r oil pressure light - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

06 zx6r oil pressure light

bike has 6k miles. The last oil change was 5-6 months and 1200-1500 miles ago. Oil level is within spec. I noticed the light on for the first time this morning and immediately came home, luckily I was only about a quarter mile away. The light comes on intermittently. Pretty pissed about this, need to ride it to work tomorrow. The only solution I've found on this forum and elsewhere is "burping" the oil filter, but that does not seem logical considering the bike has been running over 1,000 miles since the last oil change with no issues up to this point.

Also, what are the odds of this actually being a dangerous low oil pressure situation and not a bad ground or oil sender unit etc.?

"Blind is the world
Few are those who clearly see"

Dhammapada v. 174
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

went ahead and 'burped' it through the oil filter and oil filler cap. Going on a short ride to see if it still happens. Otherwise I guess I'll just do an oil change and hope for the best.

"Blind is the world

Dhammapada v. 174
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM
World 500 GP Racer

The oil pressure switch becomes a ground when the oil pressure is low. Your best bet is to replace the oil switch as they are cheap. You may want to replace the oil filter. I had a FRAM that would limit the flow of oil and there was a true low pressure. My Ford pickup had a clogged oil screen, a known Ford screwup, and I had a low oil pressure.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Duct Tape Engineer

/\ What he said... I'd find out if there's a way to test the oil press. switch with a multimeter though before you go and buy another one, because once that switch is out of the box, much less installed, you're not going to be able to get your money back for it if you find out it isnt the problem.

Definitely try another oil filter and check the old one for damage/obstructions. If it doesnt fix the problem, use a band-style tool if you can to remove it, so it wont damage the filter and you can re-use it later.

I do *HAVE* to ask...you didnt use filter plyers to tighten the new one down did you?? Only asking cause Ive seen people do it before and damage the new filter.

What's your idle speed? If you bring the rpms up just a little, like 200 rpms, does the light go out?

"I smell blood and an era of prominent madmen"- W.H. Auden

The dead list: 04 EX500(sold), 98 VTR1000F(traded in)
07 Kawasaki ZX6R-Opened exhaust valve, Jumper mod, de-screened stock air filter, -1/+1 sprockets, green EK chain, ZG smoked double-bubble , solo cowl, Scorpio alarm.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

My multi-meter is in houston and I don't have access to one here in austin. So far I made it to work without the light coming on. It happens again I'll test the sensor. The oil filter is a quality unit, no FRAM. It has the 17mm(?) end so you can tighten it with a stocket wrench. I haven't had an oil sensor light go out or give me problems on any of my previous 4 motorcycles, all of which were several years older and had many more miles then this one.

"Blind is the world

Dhammapada v. 174
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.