Sport Bikes banner

06 Ninja 250 won't stay running unless choke is open

16K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  itch808 
#1 ·
I have an 2006 Ninja 250 that I gotta admit, did not winterize properly. just charged the battery up and finally got it started..I can ride it with the choke partially open but it I close the choke the bike dies.....Gas in the tank maybe a year old..I did put some Stabil in a few months ago...put some Seafoam in today...
Carbs probably all gummed up? Seafoam help at all?

ideas? advice?

Can ride the piss out of the bike but once I turn the choke off.....dies..can idle all day with choke open a bit abut will not stay running with it off

Goose

#2 ·
Is this after the bike has warmed up or before?

#4 ·
Did some research and appears the pilot or idle jet may be gummed up

Hoping the Seafoam may break it up a bit...hoping but not counting

Not to good with carbs so not looking at the prospect of shelling out 3 bills to have them broken down and cleaned..oh well my bad ....doh!

Anyone ever have any luck with the Seafoam?

Goose

#5 ·
You should drain the tank first.. I'd try some fresh gas... But it may already be too late..

#8 ·
fwiw I was able to get the bike to idle on it's own without having to use the choke today. Wasn't able to ride(pouring out) except for some 10 foot rolls in 1st gear but the important part was it didn't stall without the having the choke open. Looks like the Seafoam did it's job to a point! I'm thinking a fresh tank of gas and taking it for a decent couple of spins and I might be back in business...

I mean yesterday this thing sounded like it was on death's doorstep...today after sitting with the Seafoam in it overnight it had a miraculous recovery! Did all the things peeps said Seafoam would make it do(pour smoke out of the exhaust for a bit) but then it cleared up.

2 thumbs up for this stuff!

What is the idle of a Ninja 250? 1000-1500?

Goose

#10 ·
definitely clogged pilot jets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.