Can't "lock" the handlebars - Sportbikes.net
Help Me Fix It A great place to post any problems you may be having while working on your motorcycle. Most of us are do-it-yourselfers so this is a great way to share any information pertaining to fixing something or adding something on.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can't "lock" the handlebars

Hey guys, came across a problem with my bike, an 04 GSX-R600. I've noticed that when I turn the handlebars all the way to the left, and try to turn the key to "lock", it won't let me turn the key that far, and therefore, I can't lock the handlebars in place. The one thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the original key...it's a copy that says "For Suzuki" on it. Do you think I need to have an OEM key cut to it, or am I gonna need an entirely new ignition barrel, or is it something else?

Last edited by csxfbird; 03-24-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts

It don't have nothing to do with the key. If the key turns the ignition, it should turn the lock.

Check if the peg is lining up with the hole. If the bolts loosened a little bit, it'll be hitting below the hole.

Seems like the peg is hitting on somehting. OR- the lock could be busted somehow, from someone trying to steal it or somehting. May need a new ignition. Who knows?

Definately not a key issue, though.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 AM
old member

Try locking it with the bars a little off the full left rotation. If things are a little loose, the pin may not quite line up with the hole.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:29 AM
SBN Rookie

I had that problem when I took my triple clamp off when I changed my clipons. The upper triple is off from where it needs to be. Loosen the center bolt for the triple clamp (26 or 28 MM I think)and the two smaller bolts near the clipons (10 or 12 MM) and turn the bars to full lock. As you're adjusting the triple up and down the ignition moves with it and try turning the key to the lock position. When you get it too lock, tighten all the bolts and you're set.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Superbike Champion

Good description
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat-x
I had that problem when I took my triple clamp off when I changed my clipons. The upper triple is off from where it needs to be. Loosen the center bolt for the triple clamp (26 or 28 MM I think)and the two smaller bolts near the clipons (10 or 12 MM) and turn the bars to full lock. As you're adjusting the triple up and down the ignition moves with it and try turning the key to the lock position. When you get it too lock, tighten all the bolts and you're set.
That sounds like it might be the culprit, since I think the original owner might've lowered the bike a tad bit in front...I'm pretty positive the triple clamp has been off before. Thanks for the description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.