Sport Bikes banner

My 93 Ninja ZX-7R WONT START

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  zedx11 
#1 ·
my zx-7r wont start. when i press the start button i hear one single click on the junction box. then i tried to jump it off the started solenoid it cranks over but does not start cuz there is no spark even the kawasaki dealership here in washington cant figure out whats up. so if you can help that would be awesome... thank you... James(jwbad23@aol.com)

#3 ·
Load test your battery and make sure it's putting out at least 10.5 volts while cranking.

Did you say you jumped the solenoid to get it to crank?

#5 ·
I would be willing to bet your battery is toast. You should at least load test the one you have, or get a new one, and start from there.

#8 ·
You can't really check an ignition box, only determine that is a faulty component by testing everything around it.

The only thing you can check is for physically damaged wires and its ground.

#11 ·
93NinjaZX7R said:
i was looking around and i see that the two wires that come off the alternator look burned and the connector plug is melted and looks black i dont know if that would have anything to do with it not starting though

Well, the bike technically doesnt need the alternator to run. However, this provides maintenance charging for the battery. If it is not working, the battery will not be maintained properly and will drain it.

Load test the battery, and find out what it's condition is. From there, you can start fixing your charging system.

Every electrical troubleshoot should be begin at the battery.

#13 ·
just ran into another problem today this time this one is my fault.... i was taking the upper section of the handle bars off to try and take the ignition out well i undid the bolts for the shocks in the front and now im not sure how to tighten them back in...please help...thank you... 93 ninja zx-7r

#14 ·
93NinjaZX7R said:
just ran into another problem today this time this one is my fault.... i was taking the upper section of the handle bars off to try and take the ignition out well i undid the bolts for the shocks in the front and now im not sure how to tighten them back in...please help...thank you... 93 ninja zx-7r
can you post up a picture of what you are talking about? I think I need to see this.

#15 ·
Bolts for the shocks in front? Are you talking about the pinch bolts for the forks?

Did you actually confirm a no spark condition by pulling a plug off and verifying that it is not sparking?

#16 ·
im not sure exactly what bolts they are but i undid them and the whole front of the bike is way low and theres springs underneath the nuts that are way high in the air and i cant put enough pressure on them to put them back on...... and yes i verified there is no spark at all.... ill try and get a pic on here sometime today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.