Sport Bikes banner

My 1993 Yamaha FZR-600 Won't Start

16K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Roadster35 
#1 ·
Guys or gals, I need your assistance. My bike was running great until it got wet by rain on a couple of occasions. The bike cranks, but it won't start. If I open the choke and give it gas the bike backfires and it still doesn't start. I need some ideas of what the problem could be. Thanks...

#2 ·
maybe got water in the gas tank? try draining one of the carbs and make sure what you get looks like gas and nothing but gas. If so, drain all of them, along with the tank, and get some fresh gas.

#3 ·
The bike is in great shape and I can't see any water getting inside the gas tank (but you never know). This bike has usually been garage kept. Do you have any more ideas? I was thinking that the spark plug wires and caps, along with the spark plugs, may have to be replaced? What do you think?

#4 ·
That could be it as well. You can try drying it out by letting it sit outside when it's not humid, or by taking it indoors. Try taking the tank off or lifting it up to spurr circulation, along with taking the plug caps off the plugs. If that does help, then yeah, try new wires/caps.

#6 ·
The bike needs 3 things to start.

1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark

First, figure out which one is missing. I'm guessing spark.
Can you smell gas when are are trying to start it?

Remove a spark plug and see if it's wet or dry after trying to start the bike.
If it isn't sparking, it will likely be wet with gasoline.

#7 ·
detourbeach said:
The bike needs 3 things to start.

1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark

First, figure out which one is missing. I'm guessing spark.
Can you smell gas when are are trying to start it?

Remove a spark plug and see if it's wet or dry after trying to start the bike.
If it isn't sparking, it will likely be wet with gasoline.
This is good advice, but also know that just because it has spark when you take the plug out doesn't mean it has spark when it's in the motor. I've had that happen with bad wires. It just shorts to the valve cover.
Another old trick is to wait until it's pitch dark, then try to start it. If you see arcing around the wires, you know they're bad. I haven't personally done this, so I can't tell you more.

Also, make sure the plug is wet with gas, and not water. It might be hard to tell if this is your first time looking at the plugs.

I'd try sticking it in a dry, warm place for a day or two and see what happens.

#9 ·
mynormaz said:
Thank you guys. Just to let you know detourbeach, it does smell like gas when I try to start the bike. Is this bad news or should I just replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires and caps?
Good news. Carbs probably ok.
At least take the plugs out and have a look at them. Heck, they might just be fouled. And new plugs are the cheapest thing to replace, so start there. Wires/caps cost a pretty penny from the dealer, unless you can find some compatible aftermarket ones.

#12 ·
If you get a back fire during start-up, it's usually a good indication that your plugs just fouled out.

Replace them.

#16 ·
I haven't been able to start my bike either since last fall, just before it stopped turning over I thought I smelled a bit of an electrical fire, which I assume came from the Coils, I checked them with an Ohmmeter and it gave me a reading of 2.8 for both coils, so I put them back in.(I hear a reading of between 0.5 and 3.0 is good)? I also wanted to check if the Digital Ignitor was working so I put my voltmeter on the wires that lead to the coils and saw a jump in Voltage when I attempted to start, good news. I haven't been able to get my hands on a compression tester to see if the valves are opening and closing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.