Sport Bikes banner

1988 Ninja 750R wont start

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  kman458 
#1 ·
Odd thing....She was running great one day came back to her the next day and she wouldn't start up. When I press in the starter button all I hear is a humming noise and the tach starts to climb...after that I release the starter. The spark plugs were put in 3 weeks ago when I cleaned the carbs out. I honestly don't know where to start with this one. Any help would be awesome.

#3 ·
You have to be more specific, does the motor turn over or do you hear a clicking noise, meaning the battery is to drained to turn the starter motor over. On the old Kawasaki's and maybe the new ones too, you could turn your key to lock and actualy get it in tail light mode. Leaving the tail light on would kill the battery in a hurry.

Try to better describe it

#4 ·
The engine doesn't turn over...I hear nothing to make me think that it is even try to start. I wouldn't describe it is a clicking noise either. I honestly haven't checked the battery because it was running fine just a day before. But it has to die at somepoint I suppose. I plan on checking that later this afternoon when I get the chance

#5 ·
I know what your talking about and I bet you turned the key too far and the battery is dead. Try jump starting it with a car but pay attention to this:

If you jump start with a car make sure the car is NOT running or you may just end up smoking that things harness. Cars put out mega amperage and the harness on your bike cant take it.

the motor not turning is the first clue. The rapid clicking that you call a hum is the starter relay trying to make contact but the battery wont supply enough voltage to do its job

Good luck!!

#6 · (Edited)
Just to support the battery theory:
My '87 ninja 750F (same bike?) broke the alternator belt. When the battery died and I tried to start it, it did what you're saying. Tach jumps up, and there's a humming/clicking sound. It's not the loud clicking from the relay under the seat, it's much quiter. It might still be the relay, but it's almost as if the starter is turning, but not engaging.

Check the battery, and also check the alternator belt (even if you did leave it on accessory overnight). You're supposed to check the tension of the belt every 6000 miles, and it does stretch in that time. You need an $18 tool from kawi and a torque wrench (one that you can keep a steady torque with, like one of the old dial ones, the clicking ones might be hard to use). Better than a new $30 belt and being stuck miles from home...

You don't want your battery to die in the middle of an intersection like mine did...

#7 ·
And if the bike's been sitting for a while, look at the pulleys, too. If they're rough, they eat through belts like no tomorrow. My first belt lasted 200 miles (overtightened, didn't have the tool...), the second 800 (pure bad pulleys, though the dealership's 'best' mechanic thought the belt still looked overtightened. Had to convice him it was bad pulleys). Then I spend over $100 for new ones and a new belt and it's lasted 6k so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.