Sport Bikes banner

Nicky Haden dies in bicycle crash

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BlueZ6 
#1 ·
#4 ·
So damn sad. Godspeed.

#9 · (Edited)
I saw Nicky race at Pacific Raceways in an endurance race in the early 1990s. He couldn't have been much more than 12 years old at the time. This isn't from that race, but you get the idea. He was riding a 250 two stroke bike. Or maybe even a 125. He was fast in the straights and a little nervous in the corners. The Haydens came to the track with a huge support semi, and Nicky and Roger Lee both rode. That's about all I remember of it, since it was so long ago.

#10 ·
I met him @ the Mid Ohio round of AMA in '06, which happened to be during the summer break of the GP season. It must have been lunch break. Right afterwards, he was sitting in the Attack Kawasaki pit box talking with Roger Lee, Tommy, Jamie Hacking and IIRC, Ben Spies. At one point, one of the guys says: Hey Nicky, and nods towards the gate to the paddock. There's a woman standing there with her young (maybe 6 or 7 years old) son, you could tell he was hoping to get Nicky's autograph.

Well, Nicky didn't hesitate. He jumped up and quickly walked over to the two and started talking to them, signed the boy's program and posed for a picture. Then he takes the camera from mom, grabs a race team member who was walking past to take a picture of the three of them. When they were done, he gave the kid his hat before walking back to the pit box. You could tell the kid was over the moon excited.

That's the kind of guy he was. Godspeed, Nicky.

Attachments

Reactions: Max Deutch
#11 ·
In a time when primadonna athletes seem to be the norm, Nicky was a world class role model and one of the best America had to offer. Such a tragedy. So sad.
RIP Kentucky Kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.