Broken helmet after crash - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Mess with the Bull.....

Thanked 1,754 Times in 962 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

Exclamation Broken helmet after crash

This belongs to a young man who lost control of his motorcycle and his head hit a tree, or post. He doesn't remember. He said he does remember seeing 39mph right before he went down.

I looked inside for any identifying tags and found nothing.

SBN Moderator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to PM me with any questions or concerns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

And this is why you spend the extra $300 and buy yourself some quality protection. A funeral / brain surgery / brain damage is a lot more expensive.

Hope the guy didn't suffer life-altering consequences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
google_ad_section_end -->
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Mess with the Bull.....

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLive View Post
And this is why you spend the extra $300 and buy yourself some quality protection. A funeral / brain surgery / brain damage is a lot more expensive.

Hope the guy didn't suffer life-altering consequences.
Here is where a great argument can be formed about cheap helmets vs expensive ones.

The obvious question would be, why would we assume this helmet didn't provide quality protection? After all, It did exactly what it was supposed to do: protect his head during a crash. Other than some minor road rash, he didn't even have a concussion.

And the cracks in the helmet should be irrelevant if his head remained safe. I mean, were supposed to throw away every helmet after a crash anyway, regardless of damage. Right?

And knowing these facts, what more would a high dollar Arai, Shoei or any other brand have been able to do that this helmet didn't?

SBN Moderator

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L8 Braker For This Useful Post:
Gaolee (04-17-2017)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

My first thought was that the shell split, but you're right. That helmet did exactly what we'd expect of a DOT approved helmet and saved the rider.

The difference between a $200 helmet and a $1k helmet is mostly comfort as far as I have ever been able to find.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM
what R you lookin' at?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

And if there had been another impact what would have happened?

Imo, a helmet shouldn't crack, it tells me the shell is to brittle

Arai has a pic on their site w s helmet caved In from hitting a pole, all still intact.

'14 GROM 125cc's of FURY!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory- Sold
'09 Suzuki SFV-Sold
'08 Busa- Sold
'00 VFR - Sold
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Mess with the Bull.....

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
And if there had been another impact what would have happened?
Who says there wasn't? I doubt he hit whatever it was and then hit nothing else after that. If nothing else, he had to have hit the ground at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
Imo, a helmet shouldn't crack, it tells me the shell is to brittle.
I'll admit that I've done little to no research on whether or not a helmet that cracks is considered sub standard, but just a few minutes of looking into it has me wanting to read more. I'll do that after the Easter egg hunt, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
has a pic on their site w s helmet caved In from hitting a pole, all still intact.
With just a quick google search I found many examples of Arai helmets that have cracked in a crash.

SBN Moderator

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Mess with the Bull.....

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchlPunk View Post
My first thought was that the shell split, but you're right. That helmet did exactly what we'd expect of a DOT approved helmet and saved the rider.
What more would a Snell rated (or any other safety rating agency) helmet have done, in terms of protecting the rider? Again, he didn't even have a concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolPunk
The difference between a $200 helmet and a $1k helmet is mostly comfort as far as I have ever been able to find.
Couldn't agree more

SBN Moderator

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I used to be a big believer in the Snell Foundation rating. The research a few years back tempered my support a bit. I believe they have started to adapt their philosophy but have to admit I haven't read up on it recently.

DOT ratings are the minimum. My biggest problem with the DOT rating is that once a manufacturer receives the rating, there is ZERO follow-up to verify that the specification is being maintained. At least once a manufacturer (HJC?) was caught cheating by independent testing. This was after a fatal crash showed a problem.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:51 PM
World 500 GP Racer

Any helmet will crack or even shatter if subjected to the right conditions. Don't forget this was a 39mph crash so we are talking about an even slower impact. I realize your neck could get severely injured from high speed helmet impacts but seeing what a ~35mph crash did to this helmet makes we wonder what would happen if he was doing 75-80 on the highway when a ~35mph impact nearly split this helmet in 2...

Also, there's a difference between a crack and ... this. As I said, given the right speed even an Arai would shatter into pieces but that would probably be 150mph for the Arai and judging by the pics 50mph for this one. I'm obviously not saying you're supposed to reuse a helmet after a crash but this amount of damage to the shell integrity is plain scary to me.

And third, just because a helmet is DOT rated or SNELL rated doesn't mean it cannot exceed the limits of protection expected by these standards. A Hyundai and a Mercedes are both in accordance with the road-safety standards and will both take me from A to B. The Hyundai would be the cheaper and more efficient option but when it comes to crashing I'd much rather crash in a Mercedes. All I'm saying is that just because a standard is met it doesn't mean it is not exceeded and as is the case with every single quality product out there, extra protection/quality/features cost extra money.

As you said I have no point in this specific case because the helmet did its job in this 35mph impact. All I'm saying is I wouldn't want to be the test dummy for the 80mph crash test. For that reason I'd choose the brands that the people going 200+mph entrust their lives with.

Last edited by aLive; 04-16-2017 at 04:58 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM
what R you lookin' at?

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

So the orig helmet crack was only 35 mph?

'14 GROM 125cc's of FURY!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory- Sold
'09 Suzuki SFV-Sold
'08 Busa- Sold
'00 VFR - Sold
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 PM
After Me Lucky Charms

Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I would like the standard ECE 22.05. It also covers abrasion of snaps, rivets, and shields.

I have Cystic Fibrosis, and yes I ride a Triumph Daytona 675.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 AM
World 500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
So the orig helmet crack was only 35 mph?
In the original post L8 Braker said the guy saw 39mph on his speedo right before he went down so unless his head impacted while his body was still in the air he did some sliding/tumbling before hitting his head which in turn means his speed was less than 39mph hence my IMO reasonable assumption of 35mph (or less) impact speed.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM
You are here

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I honestly think there are valid reservations about the Snell rating. As far as I know, a helmet gets that rating by surviving being bashed by a metal post. I have to admit, the one thing I don't worry about while riding is being bashed in the head by a metal post. As far as the helmet in the OPs photo, it did its job if the rider's head is in one piece. I'll always buy the Snell (or better yet, ECE) rated helmet, as more crash absorbing material is always better. But I won't dis any for getting the DOT helmet, I am far from convinced that the Snell rating actually reflects crashworthiness.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Mess with the Bull.....

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
I honestly think there are valid reservations about the Snell rating. As far as I know, a helmet gets that rating by surviving being bashed by a metal post. I have to admit, the one thing I don't worry about while riding is being bashed in the head by a metal post. As far as the helmet in the OPs photo, it did its job if the rider's head is in one piece. I'll always buy the Snell (or better yet, ECE) rated helmet, as more crash absorbing material is always better. But I won't dis any for getting the DOT helmet, I am far from convinced that the Snell rating actually reflects crashworthiness.
THIS ARTICLE is the best one I've found so far, in terms of easily explaining the different rating systems. It also has a great note about how hard it is to replicate a real world crash. Definitely worth the read

SBN Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.