Is an sv650 too much? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is an sv650 too much?

"Just get the ZX-6R!" they said.... "You'll be fine!" they said...

Then I got to SBN, where it seems that pretty much everyone agrees that is an extremely bad idea. I now realize that I need to follow THAT advice- the advice coming from highly experienced, knowledgable riders. I'm grateful I found these forums to lead me away from that bad idea, because I was about to get a 600. So thank you all for sharing your experiences with newbs like me; a 600 is totally out of the question for me now.

Which leaves me with several choices I'm considering... Ninja250, R3 (but it seems too pricey,) GS500F, sv650(?)... and are there others to consider? A few factors I'm keeping in mind:

I'm 28, 6'1 and my height is in my legs, not in my torso.

I will be using the bike as my primary mode of transportation (I have a car, but I plan on using the bike more)

I have a short commute, only 15 miles (all highway,) but always in heavy rush-hour traffic in a legal-lanesplitting state.

Very high-wind area throughout much of commute

I don't want the bike only for transportation purposes, but also to really joyride it around town, through the twisties and put in a lot of highway time just cruising around exploring the Bay Area. I know I said "cruising" but I'm pretty sure I don't want a cruiser.

I've seen a few people say they think that the sv650 may be too much for new riders... is that the general consensus, or do more of you think it would be fine? If so, how about a GS500F or Ninja250 or something else for my needs?

I've lurked around here long enough to have some ideas based on what I've read, but there's always a lot of back and fourth about which is best in different situations, so I figured I'd ask here about mine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:23 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 1,073 Times in 738 Posts
Quoted: 774 Post(s)

How much control do you have over your right hand? That's going to be the biggest factor here. An SV650 is a reasonably docile bike if you have good self control. It's got decent torque, which makes it easier to ride than a high strung 600. It's got more power than a 250 or 300. Those have plenty of power for nearly all situations, and can out accelerate most four wheeled vehicles up to a point.

A big issue is how the bike fits your body. If it is too big or too small, then you will find it harder to ride. With long legs, you might be perfectly comfortable on something like a DRZ400 dual sport as well. It would be a bit lighter, and as a thumper, its power is mostly low end grunt, relative to other bikes.

Whatever you do, assume there's a learning curve. Ride on weekends for a while before commuting. Then commute for a while before lane splitting much. Lane splitting is a real time saver, and can be a whole lot of fun. Best to learn to read traffic as a rider before trying it, though.

As a point of comparison, I have been riding a long time and have spent a fair amount of time on the racetrack. My race bike was an SV650, because it was a blast to ride. I don't have it any more, because I don't race or do track days these days. I ride a DRZ400 almost every day during the winter and a Daytona 675 almost every day during the summer. The DRZ is actually more fun at times than the Daytona, and it keeps up just fine under nearly all circumstances. I'm not as tall as you are, but I have fairly long legs, which means the DRZ is no problem, even on the kinds of steep hills that Seattle and the Bay Area both have. Whatever bike you end up with, ride it for a couple years and enjoy it. You will be surprised at how much fun it is to wring every ounce out of a small bike. A more powerful bike has its place, too, but not to start with.

Member in good standing of the global elitist agenda
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaolee For This Useful Post:
Jaksenko (04-07-2017)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Thanks for the great insight, Gaolee!

Gah, to be honest, when it comes to my right hand? I know I'll just be tempted to go fast if fast is available. So given what you said about the sv650, perhaps you're right- it's too much bike for right now. I wish I could borrow some of these bikes to ride so I could see for myself.

I'm definitely expecting a pretty big learning curve in any case. I'm glad you mentioned dual sports, I had never even thought about that before. I don't know much about them, but it may definitely be something to look into. (Edit: Just checked out the DR-Z400... that is a badass looking bike! And off-road? Never even thought about doing that, but seems like a blast!)

In autos I have spent a long time on the racetrack, and eventually want to hone my skills on a bike there too... when I can afford it, haha. I want to follow a similar process to bikes as I did with learning advanced driving concepts- classroom/track/practicing alone somewhere without nearby traffic haha.

Last edited by Jaksenko; 04-07-2017 at 01:30 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:18 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Offroad is a blast. And yeah, a DRZ is a blast all around. If you can find a Motard version, that's a hybrid that's a whole lot of fun, too. Riding in the dirt gives you a way to learn two wheeled traction control in a relatively controlled way, too.

For what its worth, my first road bike was a Honda CB650, back when they were air cooled UJMs. I think it was a '79. It wasn't that quick, but it didn't take long for me to discover the fun of whacking open the throttle good and wide. It was far slower than a new 250, but it still had that red mist potential.

What you will find is that riding a motorcycle will make you a better driver.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaolee For This Useful Post:
Jaksenko (04-07-2017)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 PM
After Me Lucky Charms

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

You can also go for a 2013-2016 Honda CBR 500R. It will slot right in between a 300, and an SV650 at 47hp/32tq. The '15-16 model looks WAY better, but looks are subjective. If you don't want a fully faired bike, they have the CBR 500F (non fairing AND cheaper!)

Ride Apart Review: 2013 CBR500R - Experience Powersports - Honda Powersports

I have Cystic Fibrosis, and yes I ride a Triumph Daytona 675.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shamrock627 For This Useful Post:
Jaksenko (04-10-2017)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Thanks for the info, both of you!

I know that eventually after I get a lot of riding experience, my goal (at least as of right now) is to one day end up on a supersport. If I buy the CBR 500R or even the SV650/Ninja 650R now, how much of a jump would it be up to a 600 in-line 4 down the road? I know the biggest factor would be the bakes/handling. With that in mind, would one bike be easier to move up from than the other, or is it all pretty much the same process for all bikes?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 PM
World 500 GP Champion

It's a process no matter what. An inline four will have far more top end, but less low end torque unless you go up to a liter bike or even bigger. Then you have more of everything.

It will urge you to wind it out, and it won't tell you how fast it's really going because it's so smooth and comfortable at high speeds. The brakes are more powerful and the handling is sharper. The best way I can put it is that everything is immediate when you are riding a supersport. It happens right now and in a big way. That's good and bad. Until you understand it and can use it, it can bite pretty hard. Even if you understand it, it can bite if you misuse it. But, once you are proficient, you will have far more in reserve than you would with a less capable bike. It's a trade-off. Most important, the quicker and sharper the bike, the more important it is to pay attention to what you are doing and what's going on.

It seems like you are approaching this with the right attitude, so you will be fine. As soon as you lose respect for what might happen, that's when things go wrong.

Last edited by Gaolee; 04-10-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
SBN Newb

Thanks for all of your knowledge Gaolee!

I definitely have a big respect for the potential that bikes have; I definitely want to go about it the safest way, and ride a bike that is within my ability. After I take the MSF course, I'll have a better idea if I want to start all the way in the 250 territory, or if I'd be comfortable on a slightly bigger machine.

But yeah, everything I've learned about SS bikes screams extreme caution to me, so I'm certainly not going to be getting one of those for quite some time until I've really mastered a good set of skills on less powerful bikes. I guess I can worry about how the transition from small to SS later down the road. One step at a time for now, I guess!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

ninja 300 based on what you said, I put 12K miles on a 250 to learn and now this r6 I have is so balls to the wall its like learning to ride all over again.

Hsssss HSSSSSS!

Last edited by EscapeFate; 04-22-2017 at 08:30 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 45 Post(s)

To give you an idea how immediate an SS bike is, my F4i (which is 14 years old) will do 72mph in 1st gear. It gets more intense from there. My 400 Bandit (I-4/14k redline) does about 28 at redline. I find my 400 to be just buttloads of fun without getting into absolutely stupid speeds. Plus, the little bike gives me a lot more warning that I'm getting close to an edge that I don't want to go over.

The old saying that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow is absolutely true. I wish more new riders would take that to heart.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.