Sport Bikes banner

Where Is Everybody?

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  FirecrackerKTM 
#1 ·
I left the forum for a while because I felt the environment was getting negative. I come back to find this place a ghost town. The other forums I frequent are doing fine. What happened?

#4 ·
Personally, I think youtube killed this place. People were finding about it when looking for general bike advice. What bike should I buy? How do I change my oil? How do I change my tires? How do I fix a stripped oil plug? They come in here, become a member, get a bunch of replies then come again and ask something else. And the forum kept on growing and growing. The only guy who was doing a bike vlog back in the day was Mordeth13 (GoPro wasn't a thing back then or it was just starting up).

Fast forward to today: Everyone has a camera now. Everyone does reviews Everyone makes videos and answers questions. You search for whatever problem you may have - a youtube video pops up on page 1 (if not on top). Of course you're not gonna go read through a gazillion pages of forum advice and explanations - you'll just go watch the video and be done with whatever it is you are fixing/doing. You search for bike reviews - youtube to the rescue. Everything that can possibly be reviewed is already reviewed and don't forget Google owns Youtube so of course it will push videos absolutely everywhere it makes sense to do so. They make jack shit from forum links but Youtube ad clicks on the other hand brings them cash.

So with time less and less new people started creating accounts and the old timers either got banned, or got tired or simply lost interest and eventually SBN turned into the graveyard that it is today :)

#5 ·
Verical scope killed this board like a good number of others....they were only in it for the clicks.

#6 ·
About the only active part of the forums is the religion and politics. The only reason it is still active is .... well its something to argue about I guess. But then its only a hand full of people that are active in it and most of them are on the same side more often than not so its been dieing as well. Soon I will be down to checking in once a month if that.

#9 ·
I also think that more specific boards have cropped up over the years. When I joined, I don't think there really were many other forums for sportbikes, and now there is a cbr600rr and cbr1000rr forum, and I'm sure more like them. If I really needed specific info, I'd probably go there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.