Sport Bikes banner

Considering 04 ZX-6RR for track? Tank slap prone? VS GSX-R

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  serpentracer 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering either a 05 GSX-R 600 or 04 ZX-6RR primarily for the track but also for occasional road use. Similar prices for both. The Ninja is in nice shape with low mileage. There isn't much info on the model though. Can it be prone to tank slaps? It doesn't have a damper. I weight 185 lbs with gear for what it's worth. Would parts/cost be an issue with this bike compared to the Gixxer? From what I'm reading seems like the 04 has a slipper clutch which would be nice.

I'm an experienced rider having ridden liter bikes of various makes. Been riding most of my life and have a lot of experience with the twisties. But not at higher speeds and the track will be new. I've built a good feel and control for these machines.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I have several nice Gixxers to choose from as well as this Ninja which seems in great shape. I've had Ninjas in the past so I do have a bias for them. I don't plan on racing anytime soon, maybe one day.

Thanks in advance!!!

#3 ·
The were two ZX6s that yearm the RR was a homologation special for the AMA and the R otherwise known as the 636, truthfully the 636 was a better bike, fatter mid range, but didn't have the slipper.....the RR was one of the early adopters of the slipper clutch on a production bike, which is hilarious because a 599cc I-4 has very little back torque to start with.

#5 ·
There will be more Gixxer parts at the track if you fall off. That's a plus. It's why I raced Suzukis instead of the Triumph I prefer to ride. A 2004 Gixxer will be a little wider than more recent bikes, but the frame is stouter. I don't know much about those Kawasakis except to say that they were rare when I was racing. The guys who raced them had some kind of contingency deal, otherwise they typically switched back to Suzukis or Yamahas. I can't comment on a slipper clutch because I never had one. Never had a wheel lock, even in the rain, so there was never much reason to want a slipper clutch.

#6 ·
My 05 gsxr600 didn't have one, and my 07 750 does, and I can't really tell the difference, track or street. Maybe I'd notice if the 750 didn't have it, but I never had an issue at all with the 600. It was very forgiving, no matter how bad I screwed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.