Sport Bikes banner

What to buy? Impact wrench, impact driver, powered ratchet?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  REast 
#1 ·
Hopefully I posted this in the right section:

I am pretty new to riding and am not super mechanically inclined but can do the basics (oil changes, chain adjustment, air filter). I'd like to get something to make working on my toys a bit faster.

Should I buy a impact wrench, impact driver, powered ratchet, or stick to the socket wrench? I will be doing light work on motorcycles, quads, go karts, etc. Not comfortable working on cars at this point.

Should I buy an air compressor and go that route or purchase something that's battery powered? I want something that's easy to use and under $200 for electric or $100 for air because I'd have to buy a compressor too. I want something that's lightweight, reasonably priced, and easy to use. Power is really my last priority.

I'm very worried that with powered tools, I'd underestimate the torque I was putting down and really mess things up. This makes me wonder if I should just stick to my good ol' socket wrench. Air/electric ratchets seem like a nice option but I'm wondering why they're not very popular.

Any information on whether to buy gas or electric, what type of tool, or specific models would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
There are certain jobs that absolutely require a torque wrench. I don't believe anyone working on their own bike should be without one.

I have all of the other tools you mentioned, air, impact both air and electric powered and standard wrenches and pliers blah blah. I don't know how anyone can do a job correctly and safely without the proper tools.

I suggest either purchasing or downloading the official mechanics service manual for your bike. It will list all tools you will need to completely maintain and service your bike. It will list all proper torque tolerances for every nut or bolt on the bike. Absolutely invaluable if you ask me.

IMHO, as you mentioned I'd stay away from powered tools until tou have some experience. Air and electric powered tools only speed up the process of stripping nuts and tearing up stuff when unexperienced.

Good luck and have fun with it. Be patient and buy the service manual.

#3 ·
There's no need for air tools unless you're a professional mechanic and time is of the essence, as in how much you get paid, and even then it's not a necessity. Save your money.

#5 ·
get good before you worry about getting fast.

If you already have the basic hand tools so you can get things done, i suggest tools that let you check if you have done the job well.

micrometers, feeler gauge, torque wrench, electrical multi meter, compression tester, maybe a set of vacuum gauges.

#6 ·
Sunex tools: adjustable t-handle speed wrenches. 1/4", 3/8" drives can be had for about 40 bucks for the pair. These are great for working on motorcycles. Faster than standard ratchet/wrench. Works with sockets and gives you the control of manual tools. Not so good for tight spaces but is great everywhere else. I use them all the time on tears down of my bike. I think they make a 1/2" drive as well.

Buy them, you won't regret it.

Also, torque wrenches are a really good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.