Sport Bikes banner

bad news for R1 owners

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  serpentracer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Heard about this and while it's inconvenient for sure I'd still be happy that it happened during winter (for us northern hemisphere folk at least). I'd imagine very few people would be pushing their R1s enough to actually be at any significant risk of shit hitting the fan. Not trying to say you're lucky - just trying to throw a pinch of optimism in the whole life-gives-lemons situation for ya. Hope your VIN doesn't make the recall list :beer

#3 · (Edited)
it effects all 2015's and some 2016's. on top of it, the only master tech certified shop in my city are a bunch of hacks from what I hear. they would be the only place yamaha will allow to work on it.

I'm about 90% sure I will be utilizing my state's lemon law to get a new one or my money refunded if I can't find a reputable shop.
still waiting for the official letter to determine what I want to do. my state's lemon laws are pretty generous. I would be getting my taxes and dealers fees returned also. and they have to give me a 12 month 12k mile warranty for the work. but if it doesn't cover the engine (since it has to be split) then i will definitely be using the lemon law. it's nothing personal to yamaha but unless it's graves yamaha tearing my engine apart I just don't trust dealerships to properly perform this work. because murphy's law always bites me in the ass. I just have a bad feeling that the motor will blow up 2 months into riding season and I will have to eat it if they won't warranty the whole engine not just the trans parts they replace.

#5 · (Edited)
well I am wrong about the warranty part. that would apply to a returned lemon they resell.

right now my only 2 real options look like.
1. dealer may have it more than 30 days. and I can file for lemon law
2. I buy the Y.E.S extended warranty for a few hundred $. (probably should anyway)

thankfully a few locals have recommended a guy that has experience building race engines etc and works for a close dealership. now I'm starting to feel a lot better about this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.