2010 r1 vs 2012 zx14r - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
500 G.P. Champion
 
mfromphilly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Millington, TN
Posts: 1,913
Thanks: 1,921
Thanked 648 Times in 413 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazairl View Post
Right. My bad.



That wasn't my intention. I was just giving an example I know to be true from personal experience. I know that Wyoming and Colorado charge sales tax as well.. I bet if you researched it you would find more states will charge you sales tax than those that don't.


And since I never really address the Op's question, I think you'll be happiest on the R1. Reason's being, first and foremost, $4k is a good chunk of change, you think 200 miles is a long ride, and everybody knows a 14 is too fat to turn well. It ranks somewhere between a Harley Ultra glide and the USS Gerald R. Ford.
I don't know, I've been on a couple of carriers doing rudder tests and they will heel over better than a 14!! and OP, I'm a Kawasaki guy and I would take the R1 myself. I would only take a 14/Busa if I was doing really long rides.

I've never enjoyed killing, but sometimes it has to be done. Do the job and move on.

Last edited by mfromphilly1; 01-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.
mfromphilly1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mfromphilly1 For This Useful Post:
Kazairl (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazairl View Post
And since I never really address the Op's question, I think you'll be happiest on the R1. Reason's being, first and foremost, $4k is a good chunk of change, you think 200 miles is a long ride, and everybody knows a 14 is too fat to turn well. It ranks somewhere between a Harley Ultra glide and the USS Gerald R. Ford.
Uh-huh. And what is your particular level of experience with a ZX-14(R)? Ever ridden one on a racetrack?

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Kazairl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Nebraska
Age: 27
Posts: 673
Thanks: 23
Thanked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Uh-huh. And what is your particular level of experience with a ZX-14(R)? Ever ridden one on a racetrack?

KeS
Why yes actually. And I got passed by a grandma on a Zuma. I couldn't decide if it was because I was on a land barge or because I was a virgin.

Must have been the bike.

I have about 15k street miles on it though. Let me tell you, I know both Starbucks within a 100 mile radius!
Kazairl is offline  
post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Mediocre Strafer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,148
Thanks: 677
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazairl View Post
Why yes actually. And I got passed by a grandma on a Zuma. I couldn't decide if it was because I was on a land barge or because I was a virgin.

Must have been the bike.

I have about 15k street miles on it though. Let me tell you, I know both Starbucks within a 100 mile radius!
Oh, sorry, didn't see your avatar listing. Our experiences differ.

KeS
kevin_stevens is offline  
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Paradise
Age: 34
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Zx14 sold. Checking bike out tonight. Anything i should look for. Picking up r1
Kcklub is offline  
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
World Superbike Champion
 
Kazairl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Western Nebraska
Age: 27
Posts: 673
Thanks: 23
Thanked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
Oh, sorry, didn't see your avatar listing. Our experiences differ.

KeS
Well there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in there. It's kind of like how fat people make fat jokes before all the skinny people can make them.

I love my 14. It is probably one of the best all around street bikes ever built In my biased opinion. It's big and comfy,power is huge and yet easily controlled, it makes lots of torque at any RPM, incredibly smooth and eats miles like there is no tomorrow.

It's only real downside(2nd only to those hideous mufflers on the 12) is it's weight which is not near as much of a handicap as the 1k/600 snobs make it out to be. The handling will never be as good as it's more svelte cousins but it can be improved quite dramatically with a few quick and relatively cheap mods. The exception being the relatively mushy front end. Which is easily fixed if you weigh about 90 lbs.

There. That is enough being serious for one post.

I also lied before. There is only one Starbucks within 100 miles. I just didn't want people to think I grew up way out in the sticks or something.

Last edited by Kazairl; 01-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Kazairl is offline  
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM
World 500 GP Champion
 
F4sSprintST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 15,254
Thanks: 2,855
Thanked 4,459 Times in 2,431 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
 
Get good uninsured/underinsured coverage


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
F4sSprintST is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to F4sSprintST For This Useful Post:
Dem0nDuck (01-02-2013)
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Dem0nDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DFW Texas
Age: 38
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 2,741
Thanked 936 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
 
Take your time and look around more. If you at patient you will find a really great deal. A dealer near me had an 08 zx14 with 5k miles for 5k


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."-Albert Einstein
Dem0nDuck is offline  
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
World 500 GP Racer
 
Akumu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,880
Thanks: 85
Thanked 779 Times in 429 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazairl View Post
Well there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in there. It's kind of like how fat people make fat jokes before all the skinny people can make them.

I love my 14. It is probably one of the best all around street bikes ever built In my biased opinion. It's big and comfy,power is huge and yet easily controlled, it makes lots of torque at any RPM, incredibly smooth and eats miles like there is no tomorrow.

It's only real downside(2nd only to those hideous mufflers on the 12) is it's weight which is not near as much of a handicap as the 1k/600 snobs make it out to be. The handling will never be as good as it's more svelte cousins but it can be improved quite dramatically with a few quick and relatively cheap mods. The exception being the relatively mushy front end. Which is easily fixed if you weigh about 90 lbs.

There. That is enough being serious for one post.

I also lied before. There is only one Starbucks within 100 miles. I just didn't want people to think I grew up way out in the sticks or something.
Don't know if you know or not, but KeS owned and tracked a 14. I'm sure he can relate. I know I can. I've test ridden the 14R and adore that bike, maybe in 10 years. My ZZR1200 was even heavier than both, and short of the rough ride that the engine pushed on that bike I didn't mind the weight a hell of a lot. My current bike does feel like a fucking toy compared to it, though.
Akumu is offline  
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Dem0nDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DFW Texas
Age: 38
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 2,741
Thanked 936 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
 
I had 60k miles on my 08 zx14, about 12 track days and 15 or so dragstrip days. It really is an impressive do it all machine which is why I will own another to sit next to the BMW.


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."-Albert Einstein
Dem0nDuck is offline  
post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Paradise
Age: 34
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem0nDuck View Post
Take your time and look around more. If you at patient you will find a really great deal. A dealer near me had an 08 zx14 with 5k miles for 5k


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Not in fl. Dealer
Kcklub is offline  
post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Paradise
Age: 34
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
7500 for r1. 2010 under 2500 mile not bad. Either. Am i right guys.
Kcklub is offline  
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Dem0nDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DFW Texas
Age: 38
Posts: 2,335
Thanks: 2,741
Thanked 936 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
 
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3480147127.html


Little over 5k miles on a 09 special Ed 14 for 8k

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."-Albert Einstein
Dem0nDuck is offline  
post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
rgbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Age: 48
Posts: 489
Thanks: 203
Thanked 192 Times in 105 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
I'm sorry to put on my "Grammar Nazi" hat, but after reading your posts, and trying to be helpful to you, I must ask the questions:

Are you capable of writing a sentence in English? Is English your native language?
rgbeard is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rgbeard For This Useful Post:
Ghoti (01-06-2013)
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
World Superbike Racer
 
rgbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ and Ensenada, Mexico
Age: 48
Posts: 489
Thanks: 203
Thanked 192 Times in 105 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Since you're going liability only, I presume that means you're paying cash for the bike? Just a reminder that if you finance the bike, the finance company will most assuredly want you to have full coverage to protect their asset.
rgbeard is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rgbeard For This Useful Post:
Dem0nDuck (01-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MV Agusta F4 2010-2012: Bodis Quattro FSR Titanium Slip On: 2010-2012 MV Agusta F4 motowheels MotoWheels 0 06-11-2012 03:17 PM
2012 ZX14R or BMW S1000RR - which one would you buy? TheGunCollector General Sportbikes 128 05-15-2012 08:50 AM
2012 Houston Ride for Kids - Apirl 29, 2012 G-Man Texas 0 04-25-2012 01:47 PM
SOLD - Used Akrapovic Exhaust 2008-2010 and Used Power Commander V 2009-2010 rocketmandean Parts For Sale 1 01-23-2011 11:18 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome