This might be my last post.. should i quit riding? - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unhappy This might be my last post.. should i quit riding?

I love my bike, but the pressure ive been getting from everyone to get rid of my bike has gotten to me.

A little bit of background about me. Im 24, been riding for 3 years. I ride my bike virtually every single day as a commuter year round in all weather conditions (except ice and snow). I love my bike and use it like crazy to split traffic and go into the city on occasion. The conditions in which I ride are by no means safe, but I do everything I can to be safe. Bright High Vis Jacket, full gear, heavy boots, full face helmet, etc etc.. and I ride fairly conservatively compared to most bikers I see...

I love my bike to death. Ive done a track day and want to do more, I just got all my gear to go motorcycle camping.. and I recently upgraded my bike to help me commute...

but I love one thing more...

Dancing... I am a professional dancer, meaning I use my legs alot. If I had a spill that went slightly wrong i could loose the ability to dance... Hell... I dont ever care about dying... I know I would feel horrible if this happened and I lost my job...

Everyone around me is telling me to get rid of it... ALL THE TIME.
My friend finally got to me when he said, "you had your fun, its time to move on" I want to keep having fun... but what is the sense in it? Is it worth it? Now he's got me watching crash vids on liveLeeks.com ....

In my mind im safe, because nothing has happened yet... but when it does happen, it might be too late to say... well, guess its a good time to quit riding... Is it better to quit while your ahead?

I dont see much of a point in cutting down in the amount of riding ill do.. because then I wont be sharp or as good a rider. Its probobly better to do all or nothing. I cant see it being safe to ride only when its nice enough out or its the perfect moment because those people aren't mentally prepared in my opinion.

I have invested so much time, money, and gear, in this passion of mine... But in my situation, where my dancing matters more, should I sacrifice this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Superbike Racer

If it makes you happy, why stop? The reality is if you ride smart..and anticipate....not look for the next asshat that will pull out in front of you you will be ok...even more so if you wear all of the gear...to include proper full length sport boots and gloves etc....

I think you need to go strafe an apex..go do a wheelie and run it through a few gears.... Or maybe go on a trip alone. Reflect on it.

If you want a compromise?
Do things like drive the cage in the rain, avoid the city if you can, avoid dusk and dawn hours..etc... Lots of reading out there to help you stay safe.

Read this:

( Source: An open letter to every person I meet who finds out I ride a motorcycle | Hell for Leather Hell for Leather )

Let me stop you right there, mmmm-kay? I can tell by that little intake of breath what’s coming next. Thank you in advance, but I already know that motorcycles are “dangerous.” After nearly twenty years of riding on the streets, I am aware; telling me now will not be a revelation. It is not an insight into my lifestyle that has remained hidden from me until this, the moment of epiphany when you shine the light of outsider wisdom on my foolhardy choices.
Photo: Grant Ray
There are ways I can minimize the risk — by riding defensively, riding sober, knowing my own and my machine’s capabilities, etc. — but I also know there are some risks that are simply beyond my control. But you know what? There a lots of risks that are within my control. We’ve become so pathologically risk-averse that for most people it is inconceivable to assume any additional risk no matter how much joy you might get back in return.
You want to know what’s truly dangerous? Not taking any risks. Hanging out with like-minded middle-of-the-roaders. Absorbing the same brain-ossifying shit from media factories every day. Jogging. Putting helmets, flotation devices, and auto-deploy epi-pens on your kids every time they leave the house. Passivity. Not paying attention to where your car, or your life, or you country is going.
If you don’t get that, that’s OK. I’m not trying to convert anybody, but here are a few tips to save us both a little aggravation:
You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool.
Do not — do NOT — tell me about the time you almost Sausage Creatured a biker because you “couldn’t see him” or he “came out of nowhere.” I have never known a bike to come out of nowhere, but I have seen plenty of cars pull a Crazy Ivan and turn into a lane occupied by a biker or make an impromptu unsignalled left turn in front of an oncoming me. If you’re expecting me to share your outrage at the temerity of bikers to be in the lane you want, you’re more deluded than a goldfish with a passport. I can’t make you see bikes. I can’t make you hang up your phone. They won’t let me mount a .50-caliber machine gun to my bike. So really, there’s not much I can do to change the outcome of your anecdote, so save it for your coreligionists who also have stick-figure families and giant softball stickers with the name “Tailyr” or “Flynn” or “Shyly” on their rear windows.
I do wear a helmet, as a matter of fact, along with other protective gear. But, the fact that you “certainly hope” I wear a helmet is so condescending it makes me want to ride a tricycle completely naked doing doughnuts in your front yard screaming Beastie Boys lyrics at midnight. Trust me, you do not want that. My buttocks are extremely pale and unsightly, especially in moonlight.
Please, do not complain about bikes parking in car parking spaces. Where are we supposed to park? If they let us park up on the curb like in Europe, we would totally do that, and precious few parking lots have motorcycle parking areas. Most cops already have a hard-on for bikes, so parking anywhere but in a designated spot is asking to be impounded.
Yes, I know, some bikes have very loud exhaust. Maybe it’s obnoxious, but at least you knew they were there, didn’t you? They say loud pipes save lives. I don’t know if that’s true, because there hasn’t been a serious comprehensive study of motorcycle safety since 1981, the poetically named Hurt Report. And yes, I know, at one point you probably saw some kid riding his 600cc sport bike at 100mph doing a wheelie down the freeway. He’s a squid, and he’ll either grow up or just take care of himself. Some bikers do crazy things. Anti-social things. Unsanctioned things. I don’t represent him and he doesn’t represent me — that’s the great part of being a biker. I could be a Lowbrow Weirdo or Antoine Predock or Lyle Lovett or just whatever I want to be.
If you’re really so all-fire concerned about my safety, don’t preach at me. Just do me this one favor: pay attention when you’re driving. Keep your greasy fingers off your touch-screen, put down your phone, use your turn signals and lay off the booze before you get on the road with me. You take care of your part and I’ll take care of mine.
But hang-gliding, man, that shit is crazy.
Carter Edman is an architect, writer, and rider in Cleveland, Ohio. He teaches “Motorcycles and American Culture” and other courses at Case Western Reserve University.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 AM
Mediocre Strafer

Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,004 Posts

"The fear of death will not prevent dying - but it may prevent living."

Take out a big accident policy if it makes you feel better; turn it into a win/win situation.

KeS
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kevin_stevens For This Useful Post:
aLive (12-31-2012), max384 (12-31-2012), rgbeard (12-31-2012), serpentracer (12-31-2012), Technomancer (12-31-2012), The Predator (01-01-2013), ZorroX (12-31-2012)
post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

feeling a little better... but not completely. Answer this:

If you had something that you loved more then motorcycles, as much as your own life, and riding your bike meant that you might not be able to do this thing anymore... would you continue to ride?

Is it worth sacrificing in this case
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 04:17 AM
I knocked up Snookie

Brother, that's a decision YOU have to make. I love riding. I lost one uncle to it and another lost his leg. I've had good friends and acquaintances killed on their bikes (I've had friends and acquaintances killed in their cars) and I still ride. I have people tell me all the time how dangerous it is to ride and my reply to them is that it's pretty dangerous just to wake up sometimes. I still get the fukc out of bed.

If you aren't enjoying it, quit. You can always come back.

"...I am a motorcycle-Samurai, and I have beat my Demons." -YK

"This will not increase my ability to mate"

Official Associate Member of the G-town Squid Squad

Motorcycles: "It's just really, really cool. You guys, seriously. They make this noise that's like BRAAMM and they go superfast..."
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Id be looking for a new job, dancing seems sketchy, especially as you get older.

Everyone that rides will have crashes, it will happen, so if you believe you'll escape this fate, the odds are not there, in the learning spectrum.

I have seen people go multi years without, and then crash, unfortunately they didnt survive the one crash.

To avoid crashing, requires a High degree of countermeasure skill (bike control), you cant get that unless you enter the realm of a crash and avoid it, or crashed previously and learned how to counter it, later.

Next is Threat Protocols. Learning how to see threat scenarios develope to exploit them, or avoid. This is a preventative to testing bike control skills on the street.

Riding gear is all secondary to both of these, or a fall back as last resort.

When I was a Kid, I could tell when I was gonna crash, and I couldnt do much about it, I just felt it develope and sure enough it happened. Over a series of crashes , counter measure techniques started evolving= less crashing. Its not a 1,2,3 year type of thing, but 20 or 30 year type of thing.

One of the worst things is for riders not to experience crashes with progression, that keeps them humble, the crashes are normally far worse, if their developement doesnt incorporate some crashing.

I knew this guy who was progressing pretty good, more daring and more daring without incident, till he broke his neck. That kind of ended his progression. A few baby steps of Humblity might have aided.

Having said that, Life is too short and so is Youth. but just be smart, limit your risks and you'll live long and have fun.
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
American Tart

Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,484 Posts

Maybe just change your user name to something more positive?

SBN Soopah-Mod >< COGITO ERGO FEMINA SUM

Message For New Riders -=- Message for Experienced Riders
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to acalliste For This Useful Post:
Alawicious (01-01-2013), iquack08 (12-31-2012), kevin_stevens (12-31-2012), Luvin' Twins (01-02-2013), R1100S-Rider (12-31-2012), rgbeard (12-31-2012), ZorroX (12-31-2012)
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acalliste View Post
Maybe just change your user name to something more positive?
haha
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM
CCS# 616

Just my own observation but if you have to ask an internet forum if you should quite riding, it sounds like your heart isn't really in it. Only you can deem if the risk is worth it. It's a choice we all made when we started riding and must consider every time we throw a leg over.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill0000 View Post
feeling a little better... but not completely. Answer this:

If you had something that you loved more then motorcycles, as much as your own life, and riding your bike meant that you might not be able to do this thing anymore... would you continue to ride?

Is it worth sacrificing in this case
As someone who dances extensively as well. ...I can absolutely understand your internal struggle. I would be crushed if I couldn't dance. Its many center. .. it' an outlet and an inspiration for my life. When people ask my why I dance I ask them why you breathe?

So...its that important to me. But. On the other side- while I wouldn't say riding is as critical as breathing-its damn close!

But ultimately- no one can decide if it's worth the sacrifice is worth it. For me it's not. There will always be dangerous things in life. But I personally won't trade the maybe factor.

No one but you can make that call.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Thanked 4,454 Times in 2,427 Posts

Obviously you could get seriously injured in a car or walking down the street

How much higher are the odds on a bike, realty?

I've been riding on and off for 40+ years. I went 30 years crash free. Broke some ribs this summer. I won't give up riding again. I've gone some stretches not riding, and I miss it and love it too much to give it up again

Tough choice, since dance isn't just a paycheck it's a passion. But you have no conditions they increase your risks my wife does, and she has to have dance to keep physically viable, so riding is too risky for her to do much

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Slowpoke

I remember reading a few statistics out of a book Ride Hard Ride Smart. They basically said: the first 6 months that someone is riding are where somebody has the absolute highest risk of wrecking. After that, for the next 18 months, there is still a significantly high risk of crashing. If you make it past the first 2 years, you've made it past the most dangerous period. After the first two years of riding, the statistics say that you are much less likely to crash. As somebody else has said, riding at night is the most dangerous time to ride....and so since you've made it past your first two years, and if you don't ride at night, the statistics say that you have a very low risk of crashing/getting hurt.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Motorcycles are my first love (besides my family). I made a lot of sacrifices for motorcycles, but if my family needed me to stop riding, I'd sell everything off without thinking twice. I guess my point is, if dancing is your first love, then it might be time to start paying for taxi's. There's always life after dancing.

Kissing the mirror is CENSORED
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM
World Superbike Racer

Every man must die. Not every man truly lives. - Mel Gibson, in Rob Roy
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM
AS LONG AS YOU RIDE

Only you have the answer...

Just remember something, everyone needs their legs no matter what they do for a living...

Al. (2012 FZ1 & 2012 R1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.