What have you done/are you going to do to your bike... - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 AM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Zumina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UT
Posts: 1,997
Thanks: 36
Thanked 123 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Xr650r
Zumina is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 AM
500 G.P. Champion
 
bluspyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Age: 28
Posts: 1,871
Thanks: 284
Thanked 322 Times in 237 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Chain and sprockets, changing the flame paint scheme back to the original orange, paint wheels black, brake lights/turn signals for the givi case and full fluid flush.

No clue when im gona do this tho... Weather has been really nice down here. Lol

Remember......Keep the rubber side down!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bluspyder is offline  
post #33 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Age: 44
Posts: 14,314
Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,259 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumina View Post
Xr650r
Some states won't plate the XR650R, so you have to get the heavier XR650L. Which is no better or worse then a DR650 or the slightly heavier, but water cooled KLR650.

The new KTM 500EXC runs circles around the Japanese 650's. As does the BMW G650X, Husqvarna TE630, Husaberg FE570 and the older KTM LC4 based 625. If you really want an insane dual sport the aprilia RXV 5.5 makes 70hp at the rear wheel and weighs around 320lbs wet.

For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

If he wants lighter, then back to what I posted about the 250's.


Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B Konigstiger {King Tiger}. Known as the "Royal Tiger" to the Allies.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Royal Tiger is offline  
post #34 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Tony216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: I live in PA, and the voices live in my head.
Age: 42
Posts: 1,813
Thanks: 210
Thanked 428 Times in 307 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
...For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

If he wants lighter, then back to what I posted about the 250's.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I have no need for a bad ass off road bike because I'm not going to be jumping triples with it. Having a barely legal offroad bike for what I want to do, makes as much sense as buying a Hayabusa to go to Starbucks. Sure, a lot of people do it, but it's not for me.

Kissing the mirror is CENSORED
Tony216 is offline  
post #35 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Zumina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UT
Posts: 1,997
Thanks: 36
Thanked 123 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Some states won't plate the XR650R, so you have to get the heavier XR650L. Which is no better or worse then a DR650 or the slightly heavier, but water cooled KLR650.

The new KTM 500EXC runs circles around the Japanese 650's. As does the BMW G650X, Husqvarna TE630, Husaberg FE570 and the older KTM LC4 based 625. If you really want an insane dual sport the aprilia RXV 5.5 makes 70hp at the rear wheel and weighs around 320lbs wet.

For Tony who wants simple and basic, I'd say KLR650 or DR650. The XR650L is two generations behind. The aftermarket is the same for all 3 just about.

If he wants lighter, then back to what I posted about the 250's.
Several generations behind in what, bold new graphics? They're all low-tech and ungainly. The other models you've mentioned have their own problems with price, availability, parts, and reliability (check out all the SXV recalls, service bulletins, and horror stories).
I'd check into plating an R in your state. You can now find very clean examples for $2500 or less and with the savings over purchasing a DRZ, KTM, etc, you have quite the budget for improvements. It's only drawbacks are they're kick-only (unless you opt for an e-start kick) and require a man to ride them.
Zumina is offline  
post #36 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
singram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 56
Thanked 457 Times in 282 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
The new F4i, simple. That ridiculous fender will be replaced with a Hot Bodies undertail. WTF was Honda thinking??




The E, not so simple. Though I've put a ton of time and $$ restoring and updating it, it is a 20yr old bike with just over 40k on the clock. Selling it, I'd lose my ass. Plus, to be honest, I'd really hate to see it go. Sooo, I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a dedicated trackbike.



At a hair under 500lbs, it'll be considerably slower than pretty much everything else out there, but having never done a trackday, I dont think the bike with will the limiting factor.

Warm bodies, I sense, are not machines that can only make money…
excerpt from Pillar of Davidson
singram is offline  
post #37 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Age: 44
Posts: 14,314
Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,259 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumina View Post
Several generations behind in what, bold new graphics? They're all low-tech and ungainly. The other models you've mentioned have their own problems with price, availability, parts, and reliability (check out all the SXV recalls, service bulletins, and horror stories).
I'd check into plating an R in your state. You can now find very clean examples for $2500 or less and with the savings over purchasing a DRZ, KTM, etc, you have quite the budget for improvements. It's only drawbacks are they're kick-only (unless you opt for an e-start kick) and require a man to ride them.
I've ridden a XR and it was no better then my KLR. It was a tad lighter. As far as the other drawbacks I have dealers close by for all brands except Husaberg. And since I'm more then enough of a man, working on a bike doesn't scare me. I don't need to run to a dealer for an oil change.


Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B Konigstiger {King Tiger}. Known as the "Royal Tiger" to the Allies.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Royal Tiger is offline  
post #38 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
Zumina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UT
Posts: 1,997
Thanks: 36
Thanked 123 Times in 82 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I've ridden a XR and it was no better then my KLR. It was a tad lighter. As far as the other drawbacks I have dealers close by for all brands except Husaberg. And since I'm more then enough of a man, working on a bike doesn't scare me. I don't need to run to a dealer for an oil change.
if it was an R it should be close to 100lbs lighter with almost twice the power (de-corked). If you're only putting along on dirt roads and to Starbucks then yes, the difference is probably negligible. I'm not talking about dealer service but actual market availability of new and used bikes. Bergs and Vors are pretty rare most places.
Zumina is offline  
post #39 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Age: 44
Posts: 14,314
Thanks: 163
Thanked 1,259 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumina View Post
if it was an R it should be close to 100lbs lighter with almost twice the power (de-corked). If you're only putting along on dirt roads and to Starbucks then yes, the difference is probably negligible. I'm not talking about dealer service but actual market availability of new and used bikes. Bergs and Vors are pretty rare most places.
The 1st gen KLR weighs 430 wet with 34rwhp. The stock XR650R weighs 331 wet with 41rwhp. The best uncorked numbers I found was 59. Still impressive. Of course there are many bikes that would still outrun it. The one I rode I believe was a L, not a R. Some places let you plate 450 MX bikes, but not here.

It all comes down to personal preference and for Tony he would be better served with a KLR or DR for what he's looking to do. I was looking at picking up a 2013 Husqvarna TR650 when I stumbled upon the G650X XC. For $3500 there was no reason not to scoop it up.

I will absolutely admit I'm blessed with good dealers of just about every brand close by. I have talked to people on ADV that are literally 3 hours or more away from dealers, especially Euro brands.

Edit - And for the record I've never been to a Starbucks.


Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. B Konigstiger {King Tiger}. Known as the "Royal Tiger" to the Allies.

2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 12-09-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Royal Tiger is offline  
post #40 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Moderator
 
I-Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,523
Thanks: 3,138
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
  
Get it running.

And at some point I need new chain and sprocket and probably tires. No rush.

I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
I-Jo is offline  
post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tx
Age: 28
Posts: 352
Thanks: 75
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by singram View Post
The new F4i, simple. That ridiculous fender will be replaced with a Hot Bodies undertail. WTF was Honda thinking??




The E, not so simple. Though I've put a ton of time and $$ restoring and updating it, it is a 20yr old bike with just over 40k on the clock. Selling it, I'd lose my ass. Plus, to be honest, I'd really hate to see it go. Sooo, I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a dedicated trackbike.




At a hair under 500lbs, it'll be considerably slower than pretty much everything else out there, but having never done a trackday, I dont think the bike with will the limiting factor.
Man I love those. Is that a zx-6e?
Especially the green and white ones!
Brock is offline  
post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
 
Süsser Tod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mexico, Mexico City
Age: 36
Posts: 5,835
Thanks: 167
Thanked 1,013 Times in 607 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
  
1. SV1000S "a" - GSX-R fork swap, modified clutch basket and maybe a new rear shock.
2. SV1000S "b" - re-build it as a SV1000 "naked", almost got all the parts.
3. XT660R - Gotta sort the suspension, I'll probably try emulators in the forks and an Öhlins shock. There is a set of WP forks, with triple trees and everything, but they are WAY too expensive.
4. XT660X - Just get her in running condition, she just needs a bit of love.
5. XJR1300 - In a wild dream I want Öhlins forks, upgraded rear shocks and FJ1200 carb boots.

I'd obviously need a buttload of money to do all that, the XJR1300 mods (save for the carb boots) are just a wild dream and I'd be happy just to be done with both SVs and XTs.

Go soothingly on the greasy mud, for therein lies the skid demon.

Last edited by Süsser Tod; 12-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Süsser Tod is offline  
post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Supersport Racer
 
CBROldMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aliso Viejo, Cailifornia
Age: 56
Posts: 131
Thanks: 68
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Man That's a pretty good deal for a little over 5 and a half thousand. You get a brand new bike that looks really nice! And a warranty !
Yeah, if it were an option last June, would have easily chose this bike to save the dinero...this coming April, hoping with the CBR600 trade in I can get A CBR500 and refi the CBR600 loan through the same dealer ending up with a lower monthly.

Might not be worth it as I know I'm gonna lose some on the trade in I'll still check what will happen in April.
CBROldMan is offline  
post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM
500 G.P. Champion
 
singram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 56
Thanked 457 Times in 282 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Man I love those. Is that a zx-6e?
Especially the green and white ones!
Yes sir, a 93 ZX6e(the first and fastest year for the mighty mighty 6es due to the "magic carbs") The 94 green/white/blue model was my inspiration when choosing a 90s sportbike restore project, hence my color choice when painting.

Next up, a late 90s ZX7r.

Warm bodies, I sense, are not machines that can only make money…
excerpt from Pillar of Davidson
singram is offline  
post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Superbike Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tx
Age: 28
Posts: 352
Thanks: 75
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBROldMan View Post
Yeah, if it were an option last June, would have easily chose this bike to save the dinero...this coming April, hoping with the CBR600 trade in I can get A CBR500 and refi the CBR600 loan through the same dealer ending up with a lower monthly.

Might not be worth it as I know I'm gonna lose some on the trade in I'll still check what will happen in April.
This is just a thought, but you might be able to recomp some of your money if you sell the cbr privately.

But, nothing wrong with having two bikes!
Brock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NYC: Need an European(preferred) bike to rent for July 14th for a bike event f16falcon General Sportbikes 12 07-01-2012 08:41 PM
2005 GSXR 600 SuperStock Race Bike/Track Bike - Loaded 4.5K Qwikk Bikes For Sale 1 12-27-2007 08:25 PM
Dirt Bike and Street Bike or One Dual Purpose Bike... Gimpdiggity General Sportbikes 13 10-18-2006 03:53 PM
Bike stalled, bike fell now rear brake lever is bent MT Wallet Help Me Fix It 6 07-21-2005 02:31 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome