Sport Bikes banner

Car for a bike? Mixing it up

5K views 71 replies 24 participants last post by  arcticamt6 
#1 ·
Been lurkin' for a couple of days now and I've really enjoyed this forum thus far so here I am!

I have an 03 Nissan 350z. Car payment + premium + insurance = PITA

I've been seriously considering selling it to buy a motorcycle as my only mode of transportation. Looking at something like a ninja 250. Something cheaply priced and cheap to maintain with great gas mileage, but at the same time, it should have some fun factor. A 600 would be nice, but they are more expensive and not as fuel efficient, not to mention I don't know what my insurance would look like with a 600. Any other bike suggestions? Will I get bored with a ninja 250? Here is a ninja I found. 250 Ninja (3K miles)

I've had nothing but discouraging comments made by close friends and family("What if it rains? It's dangerous. It's not practical.") I know that many others have done it before.

Thoughts?

#51 ·
Jackets and things are much much cheaper if you can find one being discontinued or an outgoing years model. Just be careful with that on helmets as said before, they sort of expire and an outgoing model or may already be a year old, thats a chunk of its usable life gone.

#52 · (Edited)
I found this Mens Leather Alpinestars Jacket Black, Blue, and Silver , Size 42 He'll take $125. And this Alpinestars Leather Jacket (L) vintage style Said they'd let it go for $180 but I was gonna shoot for $150.

The Black Alpine is perforated so I feel that would be better for those hot days. Thoughts?

EDIT: The helmet I have is an Element Fastrack by O'Neil. The date on the inside tag is 09/2009. Should this be replaced? The sleeveless armor piece I was talking about is a SixSixOne Soft Shell Pad. Has padding on shoulders, chest, hips, back, and also has a plastic back protector. Date on the inside tag is 10/2008. Essentially this is what it is just older model CORE SAVER - Soft Shell Pads - Moto

#54 ·
I've worn perf in sleet b4.... I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. Also bud if your anything like me you'll start collecting gear like women do shoes.... I've started getting rid of mine now but at one point I had 5 jackets, 3 pairs of pants, 3 boots, 5 pairs of gloves, 2 full rain suits, 1 winter over suit, and 5 helmets.

#55 ·
GEEEZUS H CRIPES!!!!!!!!!! wish i had that problem. 1 touring suit (Stich), 1 perf leather top (part of 2pc track suit - pants got cut off - :( ), and 1 HD leather jacket that nobody can tell it's an HD :eek:nfloor

worst weather was golf ball sized hail. my arms never had so many bruises. still had fun.

#59 ·
You have to learn to ride first before you go gung hoe into the fray. I know people who have been riding for two years who still haven't hit the rain yet. Granted bike only makes you think twice about running out for something you don't NEED but the reality is awful stressful to be forced to do something dangerous when you are under the gun (late for work) or its pissing rain or golf ball sized hail, super tired or go out and forget and drink one to many, any number of situations an experienced rider would be more prepared for, avoid or have the confidence to ride through with out binning it from some easy mistake. It's absolutely do-able but I wouldn't recommend dumping the car till you have gotten more comfortable on the bike.

You want to focus on technical stuff and learning how to be an urban warrior for commuting... Not worrying about the back end washing out in the monsoon.

Again. It's definitely do able... But you are going to complicate your own life unnecessarily for several months by going bike only.right off the bat.

#61 ·
How's public transport in your city? I'm bike 3/4 of the year and subway in the winter. Starting to think I should add a cheap truck or something to the mix. So far I've been OK though.

I ride every day pretty much when I have the bike, but can always catch a bus if I have to.

I will say this- I've been riding like this two seasons & so far have had an accident in both of them (in October coincidentally). My friends that don't commute don't seem to have this problem, lol. First one was my fault- riding to work in the rain, braked improperly, lost the front. Second one I got hit by a guy who was lost & paying more attention to street signs than motorcycles.

You will have a close call ever single time you get on your bike until you develop your spidey sense. Keep the car and ease into it.

And get gear. I don't get the craze with expensive helmets. You can get a DOT/Snell approved HJC for under 100. No frills, but a good spot to save.

#64 ·
Public transportation isn't all that bad. Of course, it's not like in the city. It's a few miles to the nearest dart train and about a mile or so to the nearest bus stop. Not exactly the most convenient way to travel. If I could walk out of my house and walk down the street to the subway, I would do it in a heartbeat. I've always wanted to live in the big city.

#65 ·
The 350Z is a nice car. If you can afford to keep it until its mostly or completely paid off, that's what I recommend instead of trading it for a bike and not having a car.

If you still owe a lot on the car, you are losing out when you re-sell it. Also, remember that being bike-only without a car has its pitfalls along with its perks. The weather can be your enemy as much as it is your friend. When its raining hard or when the weather reaches 100F+, it may prove difficult. Also, you cannot always take passengers, groceries, or large items so take that in consideration.

If you do plan on the 250, that is a great bike to start on.

#66 ·
I owe about a year and 2/3. Factor in premium tank of gas every week and insurance. If I sell it, I can pay the loan off as well as cover the bike and a beater car. No monthly payment. No more premium gas. Not so high insurance. The hardest thing is finding a decent beater. If I decided to keep it, no bike for this guy, as the money from selling the car is how I would be paying for the motorcycle.

#68 ·
Ah if only. You always hear stories like that. It's like when you're at the office working late and the sexy secretary comes in because she forgot something really important at her desk. The dim light from your desk lamp draws her attention. You hear the click of her heels as she walks over. Your eyes travel the impossible length of her legs and, finally, each of your gazes meet. At first it's uncomfortable, but then you find you can't look away. Just as you're about to say something, she sweeps the files off of your desk and reaches for your belt buckle. Suddenly having to stay late doesn't seem so bad...

Yeah... I bet it's a lot like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.