Barn Find! - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
 

Home Message Board SBN Chat SBN Articles Bike Specs Register Classifieds Forum Rules Advertise Contact Us

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Go Back   Sportbikes.net > Topic Discussions > General Sportbikes
Register Subscribe Casino Garage FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Insurance Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow


General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

Ľ Insurance


Ľ Site Sponsors
Reply
 
LinkBack (2385) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   816 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #16 (permalink)
Technomancer
World Superbike Racer
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 499
Gameroom cash: $9226
Sportbike: 2014 BMW HP4, 2013 Yamaha Zuma
Thanks: 275
Thanked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Technomancer is on a distinguished road
Default

40 hours sounds like a lot, and a heck of a fun time if you are into working on your own stuff. What all did you need to do?
Technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jim Moore
World 500 GP Racer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 2,557
Gameroom cash: $60035
Sportbike: 2007 CBR600RR
Thanks: 3
Thanked 586 Times in 284 Posts
Jim Moore will become famous soon enoughJim Moore will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomancer View Post
40 hours sounds like a lot, and a heck of a fun time if you are into working on your own stuff. What all did you need to do?
It needed brakes, tires, a battery, the carbs cleaned, levers, turns signals, and a few odds and ends. I had to take the carbs out about six times before I got them right. The first two times there was a lot of sitting and drinking coffee while I figured things out.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL
'99 BMW R1100S
'02 BMW R1150GS
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
ctandc
500 G.P. Champion
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 2,409
Gameroom cash: $31979
Sportbike: 05 YZF600R / 91 Kan-o-Tuna
Thanks: 1
Thanked 158 Times in 81 Posts
ctandc is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
It needed brakes, tires, a battery, the carbs cleaned, levers, turns signals, and a few odds and ends. I had to take the carbs out about six times before I got them right. The first two times there was a lot of sitting and drinking coffee while I figured things out.
Then you get the "Aha" moment, and that's when you tell people that the carb job is only a few hours...you just don't share the part about taking them out and putting them back in 100 times because well....that would deny them the rite of passage of doing the same. LMAO
__________________
_________________
Ranting in an "organized" form
http://CIBJM.blogspot.com/
ctandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
I-Jo
Moderator
 
I-Jo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,523
Gameroom cash: $122269
Sportbike: 2004 Honda CBR F4i
Thanks: 3,138
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,231 Posts
I-Jo will become famous soon enoughI-Jo will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Well, not really a barn. It sat untouched in my neighbor's garage for five years. It belonged to his son, who isn't interested in motorcycles any more. Several times I have offered to help him get it running, but he wasn't interested. I have quietly lusted after it. Three weeks ago my neighbor casually mentioned that he was making his kids get all their crap out of his garage. I offered him a grand. He accepted immediately.

A new battery, a few bucks for tools and parts, and 40 hours or so in the garage was all it took. Behold, the epitome of mid-90s superbike awesomeness! It's big, it's loud, it's rude, it's obnoxious, it's fast. It's the I-Jo of motorcycles. It's the 1995 ZX-9R. And it's mine.
completely flattered you thought of me first but you forgot something on your list> thuper thexy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Looks like my old ZX-9

...and if can't be the I-Jo of bikes (its ass isn't big enough)
it's ass is bungee-ed together- that's gotta count for something!!!
__________________
I work hard and I play hard.

I'm just like everyone else... only different... and if you don't like it- you can suck it.
I-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Jo For This Useful Post:
PhilB (11-10-2012), Shamrock627 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
singram
500 G.P. Champion
 
singram's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,234
Gameroom cash: $20735
Sportbike: CBR F4i / Kawi ZX6E
Thanks: 56
Thanked 457 Times in 282 Posts
singram is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
Then you get the "Aha" moment, and that's when you tell people that the carb job is only a few hours...you just don't share the part about taking them out and putting them back in 100 times because well....that would deny them the rite of passage of doing the same. LMAO
There's no reason to pull carbs multiple times. With a slave tank(lawnmower tank idealy, but a Gatorade bottle will suffice), keihen carbs can be easily bench tested. At 40hrs labor I suspected he dropped the engine to rebuild the trans.

Still I'm envious. 90s sportbike rebuilds are my passion, very nice find.
singram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #21 (permalink)
Sequentialshift
500 G.P. Champion
 
Sequentialshift's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,215
Gameroom cash: $13281
Sportbike: KTM 990 SuperDuke / Husqvarna 570 SMR
Thanks: 72
Thanked 466 Times in 299 Posts
Sequentialshift is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Well, not really a barn. It sat untouched in my neighbor's garage for five years. It belonged to his son, who isn't interested in motorcycles any more. Several times I have offered to help him get it running, but he wasn't interested. I have quietly lusted after it. Three weeks ago my neighbor casually mentioned that he was making his kids get all their crap out of his garage. I offered him a grand. He accepted immediately.

A new battery, a few bucks for tools and parts, and 40 hours or so in the garage was all it took. Behold, the epitome of mid-90s superbike awesomeness! It's big, it's loud, it's rude, it's obnoxious, it's fast. It's the I-Jo of motorcycles. It's the 1995 ZX-9R. And it's mine.

Would you take a walk with me to the end of this rainbow , you lucky B'stard .
Sequentialshift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
boner
OO=[][]=OO
 
boner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 34
Posts: 7,256
Gameroom cash: $52652
Sportbike: Ducati s2r1k, old honda cb400t
Thanks: 547
Thanked 2,211 Times in 930 Posts
boner will become famous soon enough
Default

It’s strange to think that that bike is 17 years old, and while modern bikes have advanced far beyond, they are still very similar. When you go back the other way and look at what could be considered a superbike from ’78 you realize how stagnant MC evolution has been since the 90’s.

1978 kz1000 z1r:
boner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Sequentialshift
500 G.P. Champion
 
Sequentialshift's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,215
Gameroom cash: $13281
Sportbike: KTM 990 SuperDuke / Husqvarna 570 SMR
Thanks: 72
Thanked 466 Times in 299 Posts
Sequentialshift is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Itís strange to think that that bike is 17 years old, and while modern bikes have advanced far beyond, they are still very similar. When you go back the other way and look at what could be considered a superbike from í78 you realize how stagnant MC evolution has been since the 90ís.

1978 kz1000 z1r:
The changes are there , but its smaller ,more accurate , and not so visible to the naked eye .
Sequentialshift is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sequentialshift For This Useful Post:
uncalcetindelana (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
singram
500 G.P. Champion
 
singram's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,234
Gameroom cash: $20735
Sportbike: CBR F4i / Kawi ZX6E
Thanks: 56
Thanked 457 Times in 282 Posts
singram is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Itís strange to think that that bike is 17 years old, and while modern bikes have advanced far beyond, they are still very similar. When you go back the other way and look at what could be considered a superbike from í78 you realize how stagnant MC evolution has been since the 90ís.

1978 kz1000 z1r:
Yeah, I love the look on non-rider's faces(and alot of rider's)when I tell them this bike is close to 20yrs old.

singram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
uncalcetindelana
500 GP Racer
 
uncalcetindelana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Punta Arenas, Chile
Age: 27
Posts: 869
Gameroom cash: $13018
Sportbike: 1995 Ducati 916; 2002 Ducati M750Sie
Thanks: 797
Thanked 258 Times in 155 Posts
uncalcetindelana is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Itís strange to think that that bike is 17 years old, and while modern bikes have advanced far beyond, they are still very similar. When you go back the other way and look at what could be considered a superbike from í78 you realize how stagnant MC evolution has been since the 90ís.

1978 kz1000 z1r:
I see your point, and it applies looks-wise specially, but when I jump from my 17 years old bike to my father's S1000RR I get a quick reminder of how bike technology has moved forward (as much as I love and prefer my oldie).

nico
uncalcetindelana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uncalcetindelana For This Useful Post:
Technomancer (11-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fs: Bike Barn Motorcycle Cover jmac r6 Parts For Sale 1 03-28-2010 10:45 AM
Bike Barn? BlackVetteC5 General Sportbikes 16 12-14-2003 09:26 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.0.0
© 1997 - 2007 Sportbikes.net INC. All Rights Reserved.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6
1199 Panigale Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1
Ducati Monster Harley Forums Honda CBR250R ZX10R Forum Star Raider
Suzuki GSXR V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Kawasaki Motorcycles Star Warrior
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Honda Fury Kawasaki Versys Drag Racing
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Triumph 675 MV Agusta Forum Streetfighters