Sport Bikes banner

fairings or no fairings, thats the question

12K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  User Name 
#1 ·
So I have been riding to work as much as I could early this riding season (its still damn cold) which got me thinking. My legs freeze, more so my knees, and they are constantly blasted with wind at highway speeds. Every time I get caught in rain, even if light rain or drizzle, the front wheel seems to splash all water on my shoes. So I am starting to see some benefits to having fairings on the SV650 that I ride quite often.

At the same time, I love the naked look, and the fact that there are fairings to remove to do maintenance or to replace in case of an accident.

I am not worried about aesthetics but more so functionality.I actually love the look of naked bikes but I am slowly starting to think that a faired bike has more advantages than drawbacks...

#2 ·
For me the semi-faired look of the SV S models is the way to go. I hate the headlights on most naked bikes, but being able to get to shit without taking off the fairings is a win. The front cowling provides a little more protection than nothing at all, so its the best of both worlds.

#10 ·
good advice. if you did have a half-faired bike then that would help some.not as much body work to take off and some wind protection to boot. also u may want a aftermarket windscreen cause that can help too. sounds like you dont like getting hit to much with wind on the highway so look into a bike that has half fairing or full fairing. it will help with some of the wind drag you get when riding

#3 ·
Well.... yes and no. Fairings are nice at deflecting wind.. but at anything over 55 degrees you won't notice a difference.

They don't really help at all with not getting splashed going through puddles, though. My feet always get soaked either way.

I recommend waterproof, windproof textile overpants and a waterproof goretex riding boot. It'll VASTLY improve your situation.

#5 ·
Even if you DID have Goldwing fairing it wouldnt make a significant difference however I DO prefer the smoked/clear stock windshield-it actually works when needed. Painting it solid is ones choice, but I prefer to actually SEE out the little windshield (works great on longer trips/straight aways)

I would look more into getting the appropriate gear. It works!

Motorcycle Heated Clothing, Rain Wear & Cold Weather Gear | Motosport

#6 ·
...however I DO prefer the smoked/clear stock windshield-it actually works when needed. Painting it solid is ones choice, but I prefer to actually SEE out the little windshield (works great on longer trips/straight aways)
You sure you're in the right thread? :hmm

#7 ·
Comparing my 07 FZ6 to my 97 CBR F3 the lower fairing directed a ton of heat at my legs but I only rode the CBR when it was warm out. On the FZ in the cold out on the interstate I will put my feet on the back pegs and there is an area of still air there to get my legs out of the windblast.

#11 ·
Having both, you can't beat a full fairing for cold weather or highway riding, but it's not really going to keep water off your shoes. You should be wearing waterproof boots. I wear a pair of Icon accelerant boots that look like hiking boots.

I have a fleece lined pair of dickies that I wear over my work pants, when it's in the low 30's. Buy one size to large and they make great over pants.

#12 ·
pretty happy with the semi faired SV as mentioned.

I had the F4i. not sure it was worth the hassle of the plastics. I have a heated jacket and by next year probably upgrade to waterproof boots- and that will make me much happier- and maybe heated gloves then it won't matter what you have- you'll always be warm!

#13 ·
I have actually been on rides with other people who were riding hayabusas and zx14s when it started raining. After less than 10 miles we stopped and from my knees down I was soaked while they were relatively dry. Something did make a big difference, I assumed it was the fairings. Of course, after hours of rain nothing but waterproof gear will help.

#14 ·
Well it is the fairing to an extent.

But you need a touring platform (believe or not Busas and X-14s are sport tourers) to get enough fairing to matter.

Pretty much anything smaller you aren't going to get enough fairing to matter. For instance there is very little difference in the wind blast between my full faired 675 and bare booty nekkid Speed Triple.

No my Ex's Ultra Classis THAT was a fairing, but sportbikes aren't Ultras thankfully.

Therefore I prefer naked, except for track machines, because on the street I'm not concerned with 145mph straightaways and rarely tuck.

So a fairing just adds 45 minutes to any tinkering I'm doing (and I'm usually messing with something) getting all of the delicate VERY expensive plastic dafuc out of the way.

#15 ·
I can't say I noticed any difference between my VFR's full fairing and my TL's half. Actually, the TL was a little better, but that's because the more aggressive riding position had you tucked lower behind the windscreen. Maintenance was definitely much easier on the Suzuki, too.

#18 ·
You just made my point sport vs sport tourer

#24 ·
1 inch wider on paper, the pods are what make my buell so wide, but the busa is wide all over.

I've had them both sitting side by side. The busa offers a lot more wind protection for your legs.

I've sat on the busa, have you sat on the buell?
No, I've never even seen a Buell other than the Blast.

I get your point, though. 'Big bore' = wind protection only fairings. SS/RR = sleek, cut through the air 'not used for protection' fairings.

Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive. The race bike fairings are meant to help in a race. The GT/Hyperbikes/whatever are not.

/soap box

I just wish I didn't hear so many 600RR/750R/1000RR, nakeds (SV/FZ/etc) and 'beginner' bikes (250-650 barring I4s) owners knocking on the big bore bikes.

Honestly, you go to a specified sport bike forum or a generalized sport bike forum (like this one) or bike night or regular old meet up with the bikes mentioned above and I've heard nothing but bad things, barring wind protection of course, :rolleyes about the Busa/ZX14 and their predecessors (Blackbird, my bike, ZX11, K1200 etc) from MANY 'light' bike riders.

Apparently they're all drag strip only big fat, shitty handling, fast plastic Harleys that are wider than all outside and that they'd dislocate their shoulders after 45 seconds of twisties on the 525lb+ abominations. Add in some fat women jokes and these bikes get very little near their due from the lighter weighing bike crowd, in my experience. Further proof is in the comment section of that video below. I find myself having to throw up some "Come on now... It's not THAT bad..." from time to time with all of the joking exaggerations.

Sorry, I'll look into tougher skin. I guess its things like this that really blow people's minds. Like "HOLY FUCK! That bike and bikes like it are capable of a lean angle greater than 5 percent???" :hide I doubt that's how your 'wider than a house' comment was meant...but I hear it and see it A LOT. (God knows what light bike people think of the FJR/C14/ST1300 or EGADS the Goldwing. Perhaps they open up the helmet and spit on them as they ride by while shouting "Keep that boat at the marina, you fucker!" :))

/soapbox

#26 ·
I just wish I didn't hear so many 600RR/750R/1000RR, nakeds (SV/FZ/etc) and 'beginner' bikes (250-650 barring I4s) owners knocking on the big bore bikes.
Yea, the same complaint of pointlessness-on-the-street when it comes to the big bike's power and speed can be made about the Super Sport's handling - it's just as irresponsible to be dragging knee around every blind corner as it is to hit 180 down every straight.

But what you do get with the b***** bikes is more creature comforts - big fairings, super stable and more relaxed ergonomics, all of which make for a better street bike, which is exactly where the vast majority of us spend the vast majority of our time.

But we're probably getting a bit off topic. So to answer the OP's question, on a smaller bike, fairings probably won't do all that much, but on a b***** bike they most certainly help with the wind and rain. If changing bikes isn't an option, you might want to look into some dedicated all-weather riding gear.

If you wanted an inexpensive option, you can find these at Wallmart/KMart. I picked one up for about $60 while on a weekend ride, just happened to walk into a Wallmart and couldn't pass it up. It's not rain proof, but it'll keep you much warmer when it's just cold out. Another tip is to cover up all your skin - tuck your pants into your socks (helps to wear heavy-weight hiking socks) and wear a balaclava under your helmet to cover up your chin and neck. I can bundle up with all this stuff and be relatively comfortable all day at about 40 to 45, and for limited periods down to about 30.

#25 ·
Nope

A busa handles at least as well as a stock speed triple....and for the street where you aren't hanging off, as well as most of the b***** super sports.

Can't say I've ridden a ZX-14....but they are pretty light....I'm sure they damn missiles when you get them going.

I was simply noting that weather protection isn't something you get on a sportbike...there is almost ALWAYS a touring attached with an sort of wind/weater protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.