Sport Bikes banner

fairings or no fairings?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  mercutio80 
#1 ·
so im set on getting an sv650. just dont know if i want the naked one or the full fairing one. i like the looks of the naked one but i know the fairings help a lot with the wind and since im gonna mostly be commuting on this bike on the freeway i dont know which i should get? do fairings really help that much with wind? or would i not notice much of a difference?

#9 · (Edited)
Keep in mind the faired and half faired (SF & S models) have clip-ons, the naked version has handlebars, so the two aren't going to have the same body positioning.

I'd personaly go with the S model paired with a chin fairing. :boink

#12 ·
I prefer the look of an unfaired bike, and the upright position most nakeds have. I had a Ninja 650R (faired) before, and now I have a Street Triple (naked). I really don't notice any real difference in wind until I get up above 75mph which I don't do too much, so its not that big of a deal, also the naked is easier to handle if you get hit with a crosswind.

On the other hand, the fairing is nicer when it's cold out, and its a lot easier to clean.

#14 ·
This bike has NO plastic and standard handlebars, 100 mph all day up the interstate in total comfort. A sportbike with clip-ons and a fairing, after 25 30 mph the fairing directs air against your chest to get weight off your wrists.

#16 ·
I find the airflow on my Speed Triple to be smoother than on my Suzuki, but if it's gusting on top of that, forget it, you just get beat to death. If I could only have one bike, it'd be faired (and big enough for fairings to make a difference), but I do like the breeze on a naked bike in the summer.

#15 ·
I had an '00 sv650 (naked) and quickly added an aftermarket mini-fairing. I found the wind to be a problem above about 50 mph. I suppose you get used to it, but I didn't want to take that chance. I later got a pair of aftermarket bars (Suburban Machinery) that took the riding position much closer to the clip-ons. I also replaced the rear sets with those from the S model to move the pegs up and back. The S model wasn't available in the US in 2000 so I created my own over time.

I find the half fairing on my '05 sv1000s to be just about perfect. The wind goes just to the top of my helmet. An aftermarket wind screen (Double Bubble or equivalent) would push the air higher and above my helmet, but I don't feel the need. The minimal plastics (without lowers) don't catch side winds all that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.