• Helmets should be the riders choice, I never wear one

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I'm not sure, I have mixed feeligns

Votes: 3 2.8%

Helmet - mandatory? Up to the rider?

2K views 79 replies 44 participants last post by  PhilB 
#1 ·
just curious on the percentages.

I saw we had a rally to support no helmet laws in NC, I would have liked to have gone to show my support, despite the fact I will always wear a helmet

#2 ·
I dont really know where i stand. I feel that if a rider chooses not to wear a lid, he must deal with the consequences. The only problem with that, is he is not the only one who suffers. What if he/she is a mom or dad, someones child, husband/wife, you get the idea, other people suffer too if something terrible were to happen. What if the rider hits a car? Doesnt matter who is at fault, the driver of the car could be traumatized for the rest of their lives knowing that they killed a motorcyclist who chose not to wear a lid.

I always wear mine, its saved me twice now. Who knows if i would be here today if i wasnt wearing one, or i may be here but be a veggie for the rest of my life. I guess after all this rambling i still havent answered the question though :dunno

#20 ·
But this is exactly true of any decision people make. To eat badly, to smoke tobacco, to SCUBA dive, to ride a motorcycle in the first place. To claim the right to dictate people's lives because what they do affects their friends and family is to open the door to complete governmental control of every aspect of your life. Which is a poor idea.

mandatory. It will be amazing how low the fatality rate would be if it was mandatory.
No it won't. This experiment has already been done, since there are places now where it is mandatory, and places where it isn't. Fatality rates do go down where it is mandatory, but do not become "amazingly low".

But also note that outlawing motorcycles would also reduce the fatality rate. As would outlawing french fries and candy bars. Or mandating a timer on televisions that shuts it off after an hour, and you can't turn it back on until you come back with a significantly elevated heart rate and sweat level.

People have the right to make their own decisions about their own lives, and even fatality rates do not give the government just authority to interfere. Only if their actions are causing damage or excessive risk to people who have not consented to be involved, is there justification for using force on people.

I'm a selfish bastard.

If you want to ride without a lid I think you should have to sign something that says society does not have to pay your medical bills when you cant.

As long as you sign, ride however you want.
That's the key. You make your own decisions, you live (or die) with your own consequences. That's fair, and respects everyone's rights.

I feel that people should have a choice, however when people consistantly make the "wrong" choices we need to help them out. How many teens just starting out riding would pick up a bike without a helmet if there was no helmet law in california? Im guessing quite a few. Helmet laws lower fatalities, and everytime I hear about some motorcyclist that died somewhere my mother always feels the need to tell me. I understand it makes her worry even more about me, more than she really should. And we cant forget that "squids make our insurance go up!" quote. All in all I believe people should have the right to decide things they want and dont want to do to themselves but I think helmet laws are in place for the better of society. If your state doesnt want helmet laws, fine. If mine does then I wont fight against it. So im voting for helmet laws.

And besides...If you want to ride wothout a helmet nothing is "physically" stopping you. You will just get a ticket.
When people consistently make the "wrong" choices we need to try to educate or persuade them. We don't have the right to force them.

A problem here is that EVERY argument you make for a law requiring helmets would be EQUALLY valid for a law prohibiting motorcycles entirely. Which I'm sure we ALL would agree would not be right. And conversely every argument you can make for retaining the freedom to ride at all applies equally well to the freedom to ride without a helmet. At the bottom line, you cannot logically support both motorcycling and helmet laws -- both hinge on the right of the person to choose his own activities and set what risk level he is comfortable with in his own life.

As long as seat belts are mandatory, then yes, I believe helmets
should be.

With that said, I really don't care if a rider chooses not to wear a helmet. I'd say 75% of the riders here (read: cruisers) don't wear a helmet. It doesn't bother me.
So two bad laws are better than one? Seatbelts shouldn't be mandatory either, for the same reason.

I'm all for choice as a rider but also feel strongly on having to wear a helmet mandatory. My friend just picked up a 82 Suzuki gs450 and he doesn't wear a helmet since its not mandatory in ohio. He makes fun of me for always wearing my helmet and other gear. His excuse is if he goes down he'll die no matter what so he sees no point in wearing a helmet. He also says they are stupid and calls everyone who wears helmets a puss. I've tried to convince him but he doesn't listen.

Even if there was a helmet law I know he wouldn't wear one. He would rather pay the ticket.
That makes no sense.

Your friend is being an idiot, but he has that right. You may try to persuade him, you may decide whether or not to stay friends with him if means you might have to witness his brains being splattered about. You may not point a gun at him and say "wear your helmet or else", or delegate someone else to do so.

I wonder if the helmet laws will change if there's ever Free Health Care? Anyway, I will always wear one but do not think it should be a law to have to.
Another reason not to make that mistake. When all of health is a "public expense", then ANY activity that might affect your health becomes subject to regulation on that basis. A very bad idea.

I hate to say it but I'm for 100% mandatory- after being at Indy this weekend seeing the vast majority of the local sportbike riders riding sans helmets (and after the race hearing about one jackass injuring himself) it just makes sense to do so.

Biker Badly Injured In Crash With Ambulance - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810806.PDF :

“NHTSA estimates that helmets saved 1,658 motorcyclists’ lives in 2006, and that 752 more could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.”

Just my opinion, but if we can reduce fatalities and serious injuries then it's worth making the helmet use mandatory.
It's not your job, your duty, or even your right to save people's lives against their will. You may try to convince people to do things "for their own good", but don't have the right to force them to.

i think the value-add to making helmets mandatory for all riders far exceeds the inconvenience to riders.
That's your opinion. But others may have different opinions, and you don't have the right to force your opinion of that on others.

Check the stats...there are more riders killed wearing helmets than not wearing helmets.

For 2007, the NHTSA and the US DOT says Forty-five percent of fatally injured motorcyclists did not wear helmets.
That statistic is totally meaningless without knowing what percentage of the people who crashed were wearing helmets.

The argument is not whether wearing a helmet is safer than not -- that question is not rationally under dispute. Helmets are proven to be effective safety gear, and I will always wear mine, law or not, and even though I LOVE the feeling of riding without. The argument is whether YOU have the right to make that decision FOR ME, and the correct answer to that is "no, you don't". Regardless of what I decide.

PhilB

#19 ·
Check the stats...there are more riders killed wearing helmets than not wearing helmets.

For 2007, the NHTSA and the US DOT says Forty-five percent of fatally injured motorcyclists did not wear helmets.

#5 ·
I'm a selfish bastard.

If you want to ride without a lid I think you should have to sign something that says society does not have to pay your medical bills when you cant.

As long as you sign, ride however you want.

#6 ·
I feel that people should have a choice, however when people consistantly make the "wrong" choices we need to help them out. How many teens just starting out riding would pick up a bike without a helmet if there was no helmet law in california? Im guessing quite a few. Helmet laws lower fatalities, and everytime I hear about some motorcyclist that died somewhere my mother always feels the need to tell me. I understand it makes her worry even more about me, more than she really should. And we cant forget that "squids make our insurance go up!" quote. All in all I believe people should have the right to decide things they want and dont want to do to themselves but I think helmet laws are in place for the better of society. If your state doesnt want helmet laws, fine. If mine does then I wont fight against it. So im voting for helmet laws.

And besides...If you want to ride wothout a helmet nothing is "physically" stopping you. You will just get a ticket.

#8 ·
I'm all for choice as a rider but also feel strongly on having to wear a helmet mandatory. My friend just picked up a 82 Suzuki gs450 and he doesn't wear a helmet since its not mandatory in ohio. He makes fun of me for always wearing my helmet and other gear. His excuse is if he goes down he'll die no matter what so he sees no point in wearing a helmet. He also says they are stupid and calls everyone who wears helmets a puss. I've tried to convince him but he doesn't listen.

Even if there was a helmet law I know he wouldn't wear one. He would rather pay the ticket.

#13 ·
I hate to say it but I'm for 100% mandatory- after being at Indy this weekend seeing the vast majority of the local sportbike riders riding sans helmets (and after the race hearing about one jackass injuring himself) it just makes sense to do so.

Biker Badly Injured In Crash With Ambulance - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/810806.PDF :

“NHTSA estimates that helmets saved 1,658 motorcyclists’ lives in 2006, and that 752 more could have been saved if all motorcyclists had worn helmets.”

Just my opinion, but if we can reduce fatalities and serious injuries then it's worth making the helmet use mandatory.

#15 ·
I think they should be mandatory. But hey, this is the USofA. We should have the freedom to choose. I choose to wear because I know my head is jello compared to the pavement.

#16 ·
i recommend you wear a helmet, but ultimately it is your own CHOICE.

#17 ·
I would be in favor of no helmet laws IF there was a clause saying that you are 100% financially responsible for any injuries you sustain resulting from a crash you were in without a helmet.

I simply don't understand why people wouldn't want to wear a helmet. Doesn't getting nailed in the face with bugs/rain/gravel at speed hurt like crazy? Doesn't it get freaking cold after a few minutes? Don't you go deaf after a few minutes, even with headphones? Not to mention the whole not getting split open like a melon if your head hits the pavement thing.

P.S. Why is it that people riding cruisers are so much more likely NOT to wear a helmet? It seems that around here about 30% of the cruisers are wearing helmets compared to about 80% of the sportbikes, dual sports, touring, dirt, standard ect ect. Is it all just an image thing?

#18 ·
look up ABATE

they've lead the fight against helmet laws. Some folks believe it decreases your hearing, some visibility

some argue the added weight leads to neck injury

for some, it's just about freedom of choice\

i'm sure cruisers think they don't go fast enough - even though it only takes 10 mph into a solid object to split your melon open

#25 ·
Still doesn't give you the right to use force on them. (Adults, anyway. Minors do not have the same rights to autonomy as adults, and helmet/seatbelt laws for people under 18 *may* be acceptable.)

So Phil, are you saying you would "support" a cause to remove the helmet laws in California?
Absolutely I would. I have, and I do; I've donated money for that exact cause. I'll support any effort to remove or repeal laws that violate people's rights (instead of protect those rights, which is what laws are supposed to be there for).

PhilB

#22 ·
I couldn't give 2 shits about any moron who decides to ride without a helmet. I think it should be the rider's choice.

#23 ·
Riders should be given the choice of whether or not to wear a helmet.

But that doesn't mean that if they don't wear a helmet and they get hurt/killed I feel that I should be obligated to pay for their medical bills. They got themselves into that mess - they should have figured it out before hand.

I just see it as a way to get rid of stupid people. From my experiences those that ride without helmets aren't very intelligent to begin with. It might not be legal to shoot stupid people... but you can just give them a motorcycle instead.

I always wear my gear. I can't sit on my motorcycle without a helmet nor can I touch the handlebars without gloves. It just feels really, really wrong.

#26 ·
Like everything, I think its the persons choice if it doesn't effect anyone but themselves. I believe any law that forced someone to do or don't do someone for "their own good" is an unjust law.

I believe its different for people under 18 years of age though. At that age is should be illegal not to, since a lot of kids choose to not wear helmets because "they're uncool" or something... Kids can make stupid choices, and its up to adults to show them whats right, its part of growing up. But an adult doesn't need someone watching their back, trying to keep them safe. I always wear a helmet, but if I were to take it off for a day, and I died because of it... that was the risk, and choice I decided to make.

#28 ·
Actually I have a personal story related to not wearing seat belts.

2 years ago my mom was driving home from a wedding, she was carrying 2 other people, one of whom was in the back seat behind the front passenger. My was was the designated driver. On the way home, she hit a drunk driver, and the person in the back seat (who wasn't wearing a seatbelt) flew forward, broke the seat ahead of her, died, and killed the person in front of her who was wearing a seat belt, and would have lived...

I am undecided when it comes to seat belts and the law, but theres an interesting story for people who think not wearing a seat belt only endangers your own life.

#30 ·
I think it should be riders choice. I pearsonally always wear one no matter how long I choose to ride for that day. I have been in one accident and haveing the helmet on saved my life. If the pearson decides not to wear his/her helmet then he/she will have to deal with the injuries received and mybe next time they will think twice about not wearing a helemt.

I live here in oklahoma and it is not requried by law to wear a helemt. So you see alot of people rideing without helemts (mostly cruisers). It's kinda intresting you see alot more sport riders wearing a helemt VS cruisers, mybe because they think that they on a cruiser it provides more protection. But my personaly favortie is seeing cruisers haveing the helemet sitting on the bike seat, I always get a good laugh when I see that.

#34 ·
I say let the rider choose. If they want to be dumb, so be it. I'm tired of the government trying to step in and protect us from ourselves. I wear a helmet, but if you want to be an idiot and not wear one it doesn't affect me one way or the other. Same argument for seatbelts.

I also disagree that deaths will drastically drop if the helmets are made mandatory. I'd suspect lots of riders would only wear the helmet if forced by law to, and all it takes is a compound fracture of the femur to slice the femoral artery and a person will bleed out in seconds if not addressed quickly, which is not easy to do unless emergency personnel are close. There are plenty of other fatal or life threatening injuries that can occur with or without a helmet is my point.

In short, if you want to enforce something, go all out and say ATGATT (and enforce it) or nothing. Helmet alone would save some lives, but think of how few skin grafts would be needed if they actually wore their damn gear. Most would buy a cheap beanie style helmet to eek by the law anyway (which lots of people do in States that have helmet laws), which offer little protection. On the ride to Indy and back this weekend I saw people who took off their helmets and had them strapped to the bikes once they were in States that did not require it. Crazy.

People have given me a hard time about wearing full leathers on the street. They say something like 'you dressed for the track or something?' My reply is 'last time I checked they are both made out of the same thing' :twofinger

#36 ·
I think it should be riders choice...BUT...if you choose to ride without one I think you should be required to carry some kind of extra health insurance so that nobody but yourself has to worry about paying for your mistakes.

I always wear mine, but I'm not really a big fan of the law forcing us to protect ourselves. I feel the same way about seat belts. I always wear one, but I don't think the law should require us to.

#41 ·
I voted mandatory.

Everytime someone dies without a helmet on, insurance goes up

Don't kid yourself about signing a waiver. It won't happen.
Should we be "required" to carry some kind of extra health insurance to be allowed to ride at all? How about to eat junk food and watch too much TV? Those things cause FAR more health problems, expense, and insurance cost than helmetless riders do.

I'll separate this out and say it again:
A problem here is that EVERY argument you make for a law requiring helmets would be EQUALLY valid for a law prohibiting motorcycles entirely. Which I'm sure we ALL would agree would not be right. And conversely every argument you can make for retaining the freedom to ride at all applies equally well to the freedom to ride without a helmet. At the bottom line, you cannot logically support both motorcycling and helmet laws -- both hinge on the right of the person to choose his own activities and set what risk level he is comfortable with in his own life.
Bottom line is that you have to decide if others have the right to determine your life, or if you do. If you do, then you must respect the equal rights of others to do so as well.

PhilB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.