Sport Bikes banner

Need some help from my fellow Gixxah Douches :)

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  636blurr 
#1 ·
How hot is your gixxah? Oh! Snap son!

:) Kidding. Not what I meant. I mean, what's the average temp of your bike while cruising around? I usually see somewhere between the 200-215º range. Is this normal? It's a cool 70 degree day here and was wondering if 209º was out of whack for not hitting but a few stop lights...

Bike: K6 GSXR 600.

The past few days I've headed out of the city to air it out and never really bothered to look at my cluster (other than the tach and speedo... if ya know what I mean), so it never really came to my attention until today.

What is the "danger zone" when it comes to heat?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but my SV never really got above 200º for too long... The GSXR seems to ride at a higher temp. I suppose it's the extra cylinders?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
actually im riding with a kid who rides a k7 r600 tonight so il let you know after :)

it does seem high though, you might want to make sure you have enough coolant or thats its not contaminated.

#5 ·
That sounds a bit high to me, too....my K4 1000 hovered around 168-180 while riding in town, but would get up into the 210 range at stoplights or in stop and go traffic on really hot summer days.

Coolant is an easy fix, just drain that bitch and put some fresh stuff in. Make sure to fill / burp the system correctly, as air bubbles will prevent the correct flow, affecting performance of the cooling system.

PM me if you have any trouble, I'm happy to help.

#6 ·
Gixxahs do run at a higher tempature, so you need to be sure to wheelie it as much as you can to help get the engine up in the air to allow better cooling. also do not where any kind of protective gear gear, this can add to much weight and over encumber your bike which will cause it to heat more rapidly. lastly make sure that you only ride from stoplight to stoplight in a straight line, this will allow your bike more time to cool.

#7 ·
Cool. Thanks for the input, fellas.

The bike was purchased used, so it would probably be a good idea to do some fresh fluids throughout the bike. I was going to do the oil this weekend, but now it looks like I'm going to be tackling my first coolant change!

LiterTwin, I'll be hitting you up in a PM shortly!

Post up what you see tonight, Unsane. I'd appreciate it :cheers

#9 ·
Sounds about what I saw then... Still, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and flush the fluids this weekend, no? Looks like I'm rained in 'til Sunday anyway, may as well get some maintenance done on both of the bikes.

#11 ·
Cool, great tip on the radiator.

Yeah, that's how I noticed the temp - the fan kicked on. Being that I just came from the SV, I was like "wtf is that sound???".

Also, this may be another strange question, but do you ever hear any noise coming from the tail section of the bike when you flip the key on/fuel pump activates? Sounds like some sort of rubber moving against plastic back there... I just noticed it when I went back to the garage and flipped the bike to the 'on' position while it was on its rear stand...

#13 ·
Once a season is a good rule of thumb for the coolant so it minimizes scaling (or rust in my case).

The sprockets should dramatically effect the running temp I've ran my Tripped -1+2 for a year now and I've never seen it run a degree hotter then it did with stock gearing.

#17 ·
if i get stuck at red light or two mine will get up to 220F pretty fast which is when the fan kicks on. as long as the temp starts coming down with the fan, then don't worry about it (but if the fan isn't coming on at all, then u should def be worried).

they do tend to run pretty hot as rule although while riding in sub-40 degree rain, i saw the temp stay at 132F for about an hour

#18 ·
Thanks for the response guys. New bike ='s new questions :)

I would, however, like to share that I ordered these just now:

Motovation No-cuts:

Stomp Grip tank pads:

Got a new air filter on the way from the MC shop and will probably pick up some oil this afternoon. Rainy days that keep you from riding are EXPENSIVE! lol.

Still need to get some pics of the bike with the new Pilots on it. Those things feel SOOO good in the corners. Thing I'm putting a pair on my gf's SV now too. I'm pretty sold on these 2ct's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.