Sport Bikes banner

Team green still in MotoGP

2K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  636blurr 
#1 ·
Soup :: Kawasaki Apparently No Longer Quitting MotoGP? :: 01-08-2009

Kawasaki Apparently No Longer Quitting MotoGP?
by dean adams
Thursday, January 08, 2009

The press release from Kawasaki that was due on the fifth never came; in fact little more than a stony silence ever came from Kawasaki in the new year.

It's rumored that some correspondence from Spain to Japan did happen, where it is further rumored that Dorna notified Kawasaki that in accordance with the contract that they signed (with Dorna when they joined MotoGP) that Kawasaki would be on the hook for something like 20 million Euros for each of the 2009-2011 seasons if they decided to drop out of MotoGP.

Also, an MSMA (Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers' Association) meeting happened, but details from that are not known.

Reportedly, Dorna informed several of the parties involved today that Kawasaki is no longer dropping out of MotoGP and they will field a two-rider team in 2009. The management of the team seems to be up in the air, but indications are that there will be two green MotoGP bikes on the grid this season.

ENDS

See less See more
#2 ·
so now we have factory teams pulling patented Paris Hilton type publicity stunts???

I did think it was kinda funny that Kawi not racing a GP bike next year would be kinda lame and even b***** news than just on forums....I mean they are part of the B4 you know.

#4 ·
I originally heard about it on Autosport.com. They've had pretty decent coverage for the past week or so. Check it out.

If this recent development is true, that great. I'd hate to see such a major (though mediocre) team pull out. I don't really care about Kawi, but I would hate for things to get worse and have Yamaha or Honda drop out. *shiver*

#5 ·
I do not think it was a publicity stunt at all, IM sure kawi crunched the numbers and said well shit, this does not make any sense, but a contract at least for this year is binding, I like motogp, but if I was the CEO of a company the last thing I would be worried about would be a entertainment entity's survival.

#7 ·
i guess they looked at the $20million euro per year it would cost to break the contract and changed their minds.

#10 ·
Not exactly a great way to encourage a competitive team in MotoGP.

There are going to be about 5 quick bikes next year in the field and a bunch of people half as fast just rotating around to get a paycheck before they can find a ride in WSBK.

I predict that once the novelty of Nicky moving to ducati and having Gibbers back wears off we're in for one boring season of GPs. I hope I'm wrong but they are going to struggle to have ten decent bikes on the grid.

#11 ·
I don't think this is good news either way.

-If kawai was able to pull out, there would be less competition. Bad for the fans

-Dorna is strong arming Kawi into staying, even though it appears Kawi didn't want to stay. Since kawi doesn't want to lose anymore money in MotoGP they may just do a half assed racing approach this year. Just letting the team get by on whatever they can without putting too much money into racing. So we don't get a full effort and the fans still lose.

#13 ·
To be honest, I'm more intrested in World Superbike this year.

#14 ·
I liked WSBK last year better too, and I am excited about it again this year, GP is allright, but I prefer WSBK by far. (irish road racing if I had my way over all of em)

#17 ·
Like it was stated, I don't think they have much motivation to spend a lot and be competitive.

#20 ·
The major difference between the two is that the Superbikes uses modified road-going motorcycles aka based on machines we can purchase off a show room floor. MotoGP has a grid of prototype bikes with nearly ever part being custom and is more like F1 in that regard.

With that being said the WSB teams put lots of extras on the bike where the rules allow and IMHO has better racing.

Other differences include the way they qualify, tires, and most of all I guess the number of races done in a weekend. WSB does a two race weekend vs. motogp's 1 race weekend.

rideco

#23 ·
Here ya go mista, I know I sent it to ya before but you were prolly lubed up looking at Emo chicks.

Can watch SBK anytime you want, which is another reason I like it, just wait tell a week after the race, and at your convience go onto their site and watch it for free!!!

:: SBK - Official Site ::

#29 ·
NO MORE KAWI!

autosport.com - MotoGP News: Kawasaki confirms its exit from MotoGP

Kawasaki confirms its exit from MotoGP

By Matt Beer Friday, January 9th 2009, 06:45 GMT

Kawasaki has officially confirmed that it will withdraw its works team from MotoGP with immediate effect.

News of the Japanese manufacturer's departure had already leaked out shortly after Christmas, but there had been suggestions that the company might be reconsidering its decision after an anticipated official statement failed to appear on Monday.

However, following a meeting of the MotoGP manufacturers in Japan, Kawasaki has now confirmed its departure.

"We took the final decision not to continue in MotoGP yesterday," Kawasaki's Katsuhiro Sato told the Reuters news agency. "It is something we have been considering since mid-December."

Kawasaki blamed the global economic downturn for its decision.

"Amid quickly changing business environment, Kawasaki has been promptly taking countermeasures to cope with the situation," said a team statement.

"As the world economy is not likely to recover in a short period due to the major impact of the financial crisis, Kawasaki decided to suspend its MotoGP racing activities from 2009 season onward and reallocate management resources more efficiently.

"Kawasaki will continue racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles as well as supporting general race-oriented customers.

"Kawasaki would like to thank all the fans and all those who have forwarded us great help.

"Mr.Yoshio Kawamura, the Managing Director of Kawasaki Motors Racing B.V. deeply appreciates the contribution and the dedication brought by staff members of the MotoGP team."

The team's departure leaves their 2009 riders John Hopkins and Marco Melandri looking for new employment, although efforts are already underway to place the former factory bikes with leading 125cc and 250cc team Aspar, who had come close to a satellite Kawasaki MotoGP deal last autumn.

Kawasaki finished at the bottom of the constructors' championship in 2008, and had failed to score a victory since returning to motorcycle racing's premier class in 2003, with a handful of podium finishes their best results.

But they had hoped to make a breakthrough this season, having signed former race winner Melandri to partner the determined Hopkins, whose 2008 season had been wrecked by injuries.

#34 ·
There was rumor that DORNA was going to buy Kawasaki's '08 bikes and hire the team to run them, with a separate operation to build motors, etc. Personally, I find that hard to believe on a couple of fronts, but who knows?

#36 · (Edited)
Well, if the numbers that I heard were correct, Kawasaki claimed it cost 9 mil (Euro) to run the team for the year. Supposedly the fine they will pay DORNA is 20 mil. If that's really the case, DORNA could foot the bill on the fine and still be ahead.

Problem with all of that is Kawasaki very likely doesn't want anyone outside of their employ looking inside their bikes. When Honda leased motors to Kenny Roberts, they couldn't even take the covers off from what I read. That's why I say I doubt it would happen.

On a side note: Hopper could very easily wind up in the AMA if he doesn't end up on a WSB ride somewhere. At this point, I don't believe there are any WSB teams that are looking for riders though. Some people think Hopper is done in MotoGP.

#37 ·
Well AMA is not going to be much this year either, I suspect that Kawi was only the beginning. But why would kawi drop out if it cost them more to do so? And as far as their technology goes, its last years, and was mediocre, may as well let it be known.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.