Sport Bikes banner

squids

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  eventer289 
#1 ·
i'm new to the site and while reading some of the posts i keep seeing people refer to "squids" What is a squid?

#11 ·
Yep. Trademark moves are wheelies/stoppies down the interstate, residential streets, or other high traffic areas; burnouts at the local hangout; stoplight to stoplight drag races.

Typical uniform is shorts, wifebeater, and flip flops. Often, a helmet can be found strapped to the tail.

Bike of note is a "turbo" anything, or any sportbike with an extended swingarm that never sees a drag strip, but no bike type or model is immune.

Massive chicken strips and LEDs or "neons" and fake nitrous bottles are easily spotted when parked (which is the normal state of the squid ride). When in motion, squids can be observed to "park" on corner entry and abuse the throttle on any available straight.

#8 ·
now take all of the above posts and merge them in one.

#9 ·
its a slang term, shortened from the old term squirly kid

#12 · (Edited)
For me it's all a question of gear. If you ride like me (that is to say, a fucking idiot) but load yourself up with gear (like me) then I tend not to call you a squid. Be the safest rider around but fail to plop on your lid and I'll think to myself, don't kill yourself squid. I think the true test of a squid is an appreciation of the potential consequences of their actions. I do ride stupid too often but I know what is on the line. Failure to address even the most basic risk / reward factor (helmet) just is the true test of a squid. Though, a helmet, shorts, sandles and a wife beater doesn't preclude you from being a squid. In fact it is the quintessental squid. There is no simple answer to your question I guess. I guess to really be a squid, you need to be ignorant of the consequences of your actions. So is how velo sees it.

#13 ·
One thing that does piss me off is when I am wearing full gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet) and I get that kind of cheesy grin/laugh from some other rider wearing shorts, t-shirt, and a hat on backwards. That makes me want to fly off the handle sometimes. I won't say anything to them about their stupidity in not wearing any gear, but sure as hell don't laugh at me for protecting myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.