Sport Bikes banner

How many of you wear full leathers everytime on the bike?

13K views 55 replies 42 participants last post by  SPOOLN GSXR 
#1 ·
So how many of you wear full leathers all the time? I know it's the safest thing to do, but it just seems like a big inconvience sometimes...yeah I'll probably wear my leathers all the time once I go down and get some nasty road rash..

I have my riding boots, my leather pants and my leather jacket, gloves and helmet. I just about always wear my riding boots, the only time I don't is when I'm going out and I don't want to carry a backpack, so therefore can't carry my regular shoes. On that topic, right now I'm only wearing my leather pants when I go on the highway, because, to just go get food with friends, or to go hang out, it's not really comfortable or convient to wear my leather pants, and then have to change and carry em in a backpack...so really I only wear them when I'm going on longer rides out on the freeway...I always wear my jacket, gloves and helmet though no matter where I'm going.

So is anyone else have this same problem? Do you just suck it up or do what I do?

#2 · (Edited)
Man IM gonna get flamed for this, but NO its not the safest thing to do all the time.
Very simple reason why. First if its to hot outside and your not getting proper ventilation you can easily Dehydrate and start making poor choices on the street, you can suffer heat stroke, and you can also pass out (happend to a very good friend). Your far better off to avoid an accident than to get in one while weaing your gear.
Your far better off to have comfortable gear. For you pants why dont you look into some of the Denim pants that are lined? They look fashionable and are comfortable, I have the cortech DSX pants,Tour Master Cortech DSX Denim Jeans / Pants Apparel: Men’s Casual: Pants: Competition Accessories they have perforated leather lining in impact area's as well as knee armour, which I love. Nobody knows what they are and they are very well made.
For boots you should wear your riding boots but maybe just look into at least a pair of hikeing boots that come up well over your ankle you can lace up tight. But FYI there are alot of motorcycle boots on the market that look very fashionable no one would know what they are and you can get into them for around 100.00
Sneakers are about the worst thing anyone can ever wear as they offer next to no protection. thus the above.

#5 ·
Man IM gonna get flamed for this, but NO its not the safest thing to do all the time.
Very simple reason why. First if its to hot outside and your not getting proper ventilation you can easily Dehydrate and start making poor choices on the street, you can suffer heat stroke, and you can also pass out (happend to a very good friend). Your far better off to avoid an accident than to get in one while weaing your gear.
Your far better off to have comfortable gear. For you pants why dont you look into some of the Denim pants that are lined? They look fashionable and are comfortable, I have the cortech DSX pants,Tour Master Cortech DSX Denim Jeans / Pants Apparel: Men’s Casual: Pants: Competition Accessories they have perforated leather lining in impact area's as well as knee armour, which I love. Nobody knows what they are and they are very well made.
For boots you should wear your riding boots but maybe just look into at least a pair of hikeing boots that come up well over your ankle you can lace up tight. But FYI there are alot of motorcycle boots on the market that look very fashionable no one would know what they are and you can get into them for around 100.00
Sneakers are about the worst thing anyone can ever wear as they offer next to no protection. thus the above.
Yeah my boots are actually were like $100 and they are the type that look like hiking boots that come over my ankles...they just aren't as nice to wear as my regular sneakers haha. And as far as those jeans go, those look actually pretty nice, thanks I'm going to check those out.

I don't think that anyone does unless they only ride their bike at the track. I will typically where everything, but leather pants when just going out, but for a dedicated ride I would always where full race leathers. I get tired of being called a Power Ranger or now the new one Iron Man.
Hahaha, Power Ranger, that's a good one :eek:nfloor

#3 ·
I ALWAYS wear helmet, gloves, leather jacket, and boots. Usually I wear denium jeans unless I'm on my way to work, then I have these asinine polyester pants. I'm hoping we convert over to the cotton BDU pants. I'm planning on a pair of riding denium jeans, but won't be able to wear them to work.

#4 ·
I don't think that anyone does unless they only ride their bike at the track. I will typically where everything, but leather pants when just going out, but for a dedicated ride I would always where full race leathers. I get tired of being called a Power Ranger or now the new one Iron Man.

#6 ·
I usually wear gloves, helmet, jacket, boots when riding my bike. If I go for a long ride on the weekends in hill country, I'll wear my full suit. One of the advantages of having a two peice suit. However, in hot ass texas weather, even just wearing my leather jacket is killer. I need to look into something that breathes a little better.

#7 ·
Well these responses are definitely do not show the culture of SBN or at least it may be changing (when I first start lurking some who asked this question was flamed for even asking the question then strung up like the village idiot for even thinking that AGATT was even questionable)

In my area you get a mix...

Some people wear t shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, and a helmet

some people wear long sleeves, pants, and a helmet with gloves

then you have those who cross in the the uncommon which is helmet, gloves, jacket (personally my minimum threshold for gear).

some wear helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, boots on the weekend when they are on a dedicated ride and not just getting from A to B

I would aim to wear helmet, gloves, jacket, riding boots on each and ever ride no matter the case. Pants are iffy, but then again I have not went down yet and rashed my knees or ass, so I am not a pants nazi BUT at least put on heavy denim or riding jeans...yea I know they don't "really" work, but at least you can trick you brain into thinking they can...that is until they really need to work in case of an accident but don't...

#8 ·
Full leathers all the time. I have a set of Fieldsheer perforated for the summer. I have yet to overheat and dehydrate. But then again, I have a camel bak I use in the summer to keep that from happening. In the winter I have some AGV with little or no ventilation.

#9 ·
Here's what I usually do...

If I'm going on a dedicated ride...solo or group...then I'll wear full leathers. Both my JR Sonic 2.0 jacket and Blaster 2.0 pants are fully perfed, so they're a LOT cooler and flow tons more air than solid leathers. It's really a two-piece suit, and it is better than a one-piece when you stop. It also takes me about half the time to get ready since all my lower-half armor is contained in/on the pants.

If I'm going to work (where I can wear shorts or jeans), I'll wear jeans (shorts stow away in the topcase), with Icon Field Armor knee and shin guards underneath. I'm still hunting for some sort of shorts with hip armor that isn't too thick to wear under the jeans. I've looked at all the usual suspects...Icon Field Armor shorts (no armor, though) and tons of others. Just haven't found the right one yet.

I always, always, always wear my JR Sonic 2.0 perfed leather jacket, JR Speedmaster back protector, A* SP2 gloves (or JR GPX gloves), and A* SMX or SMX-4 boots. None of those are up for debate. The only thing that changes, depending on where I'm going, is the pants.

BTW, while I agree that you don't want to overheat in full gear and make foolish decisions on the bike, you can stop anytime you want for a bottle of water. That's one of the most overlooked things in summer riding. Riders don't realize they're becoming dehydrated until it's too late. Always remember to hydrate. Oh, and I've got another rule...IF IT'S TOO HOT FOR ATGATT...IT'S TOO HOT TO RIDE.

Not trying to be a gear-Nazi...though I am. Just giving you my .02.

#16 ·
GEAR NAZI!!!!

Ok just funnin.

The two piece leather suit is about the best thing for anyone. doesnt take long to unzip and cool off in that you are right.
As for the rest I made my case already :) :beer

But I for one will not talk down on anyone wearing full gear, I just got the "why R you wearing a jacket" today from some bitch at the post office with fingernails so bright I thought she was trying to color match her orange hunting vest.

#10 ·
According to some on here, leathers are inferior to textiles, so there's really no reason to buy leather. *shrug*

#11 ·
Really?

Scissors, how's the ST4 running? I have narrowed down my compainion bike to either a Ducati ST4 or Aprilia Futura.

#12 ·
If I am going to work or the gym I wear whatever I want plus a helmet. Most of the time I were shorts and a t-shirt to work. But I live less than a half mile from work, and never see speeds of over 25mph, or get near the hwy. I figure I have crashed mountain bikes and street bikes at well over 25mph wearing only spandex, gloves, and a helmet and have not been to banged up, so i am not to worried.

If I am going anywhere else besides work or the gym I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, riding shoes, and if I can ever get used to them knee/shin gaurds. I am also looking into either riding shorts for under jeans or some kind of riding pants(not leather).

#13 ·
I work in scrubs so I keep my clothes in a locker when I get there.I can't fit my backpack and leather jacket in there so I don't where the jacket to work.I'm about half a mile from work too,so I don't get over 40mph getting there+I can't see leaving my $350 dollar jacket hanging in the locker room.We got some theivin' bitches at my work.

To work and around town:Helmet,6" steel toed Timbo's,gloves,jeans and usually a sleeveless shirt to show off mah guns..lol

On the highway or anywhere else not in my neighborhood:The same as above but add the leather jacket...and I just got around to ordering my Icon Field Armor today finally for the weekends.

#14 ·
I wear my full leathers on a dedicated ride. They are full perfed and even in 100 degree weather do real well wearing Under Armor under them. Hydration is key. Living in this part of the country you always need to be aware of it. The first thing I do every time I wake up for the day is drink a tall glass of water no matter what time of the year it is. On regular commuting (20 mi. from work) I wear my perfed Icon leather jacket, Sidi boots (all the time), Bohn Armor Pant and Icon riding jeans over that,and of course gloves and helmet. I also use soccer shin guards so my boots fit better. It's a lot to put on sometimes, but you never know when you will really need it and wish you would have put it on.

#19 ·
Helmet, jacket (perf'ed leather on warm days, mesh on hot; both with elbow/shoulder/back protection)
Boots (Oxtars, unless I'm commuting in which case I wear work boots)
Gloves
Jeans (buying actual riding pants in the next week or so, once the paycheck rolls in)
Knee/shin guards

#23 ·
Riding...

Well, I am used to wearing full leathers when I ride, ever since I decided to upgrade to a liter bike. Now as far as boots go, they are steel toe and they cover my ankles but that's about it. If you go down hard and slide, good luck with regular jeans. I hope you get plenty of morphine, so you can share it with me.

#32 ·
I dont always wear full leathers, but I do always wear full gear.

I have a mesh jacket, mesh pants and textile pants that I wear for commuting. When I crashed I was wearing the textiles with my leather jacket. They look a little torn up in the knee, but my knee didn't have a scratch.

My mesh and Tex pants both fit over my normal pants, so I wear them to work and back. I also recently picked up a pair of A* Rodeo denim pants with armor in them for when I'm riding to a place where I wont be changing clothes (bar, party, dinner, etc.)

Boots, gloves and helmet are always a given. I have 2 pairs of boots that suit the different bikes and 2 helmets that suit different rides. If I'm goin to a party or someplace where I might be leaving the helmet on the bike, or leaving it somewhere where it could get scratched or messed with I'll bring the cheapo HJC. If I know I have a safe place for it, or it's a longer ride where I want more comfort and quiet I'll wear my Arai.

If I'm riding twisties, or riding hard, I'm wearing the leathers period.

Gear for every occasion. It makes things much easier and more convenient. If you always have the right gear, you're much more likely to actually wear it.

#33 ·
Used to be a t-shirt, jeans, and Skid Lid guy on my Harley's, but as I learned from guys like you all, (fortunatly not the hard way) that the more gear the better. It's been hovering around 90 degrees here in PA, but I bought an Alpinestars leather jacket with armor, of course). I also have Olympia overpants and a full face helmet. Thanks for talking sense into me before I got hurt!
The only time I've dropped a bike is when I stopped my VFR near a spot where winter gravel had been. The bike was cold and bucked just enough to make me put my foot down for a sec and my foot slid out and I went down at a dead stop. My head hit the pavement hard enough for me to be very thankful I had on my Shoei. It was winter so I was wearing the full face, but after that, I wear it year-round, regardless of temperature.

#34 ·
Leathers for the track and hitting the twisties. One piece Aerostich for commuting and touring. For the run to the gym, lunch, or to pick up a soda, I'll wear my Joe Rocket textile jacket. And full face helmet, gloves, Harley boots, and my sunglasses :D

Carl

#35 ·
when i'm out riding just for fun i wear full leathers, gauntlet gloves, and racing boots everytime. if i'm just going over a friends house, which means no faster than 35 and only a couple miles (really means nothing, i know) i'll wear textile jacket, gauntlet gloves, jeans, and touring boots. i'm going to start wearing textile jacket and pants for my commute back and forth to school (only do it once a week) so i don't have to worry about getting wet in my perforated leathers.

i always wear a helmet and also earplugs on any ride longer than a couple miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.