Sport Bikes banner

Casey Stoner is sad :(

8K views 78 replies 50 participants last post by  rerell 
#1 ·
His feewings are huwt because no one is giving him his wespect :( Evewyone tinks Rossi is stiww a bettah ridah that's on an inferior bike :(

autosport.com - MotoGP News: Stoner frustrated by paddock reaction

Casey Stoner has expressed his disappointment with the people who have not given him enough credit for winning this year's MotoGP world championship.

The Australian has dominated the season in his first year with Ducati, but some of his rivals have put his success down to the bike and the tyres more than the rider.

"It seems like when I win, it's down to the tyres, and when Valentino (Rossi) wins, it's down to him," Stoner was quoted as saying by Italian magazine Motosprint.

"And every time he explains the reasons why he didn't win it seems like everyone believes him. I'm convinced we deserved the title.

"It seems like it doesn't matter what I did in that race, the way I rode. It seems like I didn't make a difference."

Stoner points out that the supposed reasons for his success changed during the year, as his success was initially put down to Ducati, and then Bridgestone, having an advantage over their rivals.

"At the beginning it was said I was winning only because of the bike, which was too fast," he added. "Later on, it was down to the tyres.

"It looks like no one has been able to find another reason why I won, besides the bike and the tyres. It looks like it's not thanks to me."

#6 ·
Look. The only reason Stoner is champion this year, is he has more power. If you look back at the races; Valentino would keep up on the turns, and pass Stoner. But as soon as a straight comes up, Stoner would pass Rossi. Anyone can go fast in the straights, now. I'm not saying Stoner sucks at racing. He is damn good, a hell of a lot better than me, obviously!

Stoner hasn't had a problem with his Ducati, or the tires. But Rossi has. The Yamaha is lacking power, and performance. But Rossi still wins races on it, and is still competitive.

I can't wait till next season... I believe it will be more competitive, instead of one person just flying away.

I see where Stoner is coming...

#7 ·
Wasn't this the same guy who crashed repeatedly for a while? Or am I thinking of Vermulen?

I can see his point, but after a while, the naysayers will simply stick with their initial argument just so they don't look bad.

However, if Stoner really thinks he is the better rider, why not jump ship and go to another, lesser bike and see if the success repeats itself...hmmm, kinda like Rossi did and still won. Then, after that, he would have a reason to be pissed. I think alot of people, myself included, thinks it could very well be a fluke. Although he is a talented rider and I give him credit for that, he still isn't being a graceful winner. Rather, based off that little snipped, he seems like a spoiled brat. Being a champion involves more than simply winning all the races.

#9 ·
It's simple arithmetic:

Superior Rider + Superior Equipment = MotoGP Championship

Same as any other motor sport, be it NASCAR, F1, Indy, Champ Car, etc. If it were just the tires or the bike, why bother hiring an expensive rider - it's the sum of all parts that make a winning combination. And that's not even bringing the R&D, Support, Engineering, and Pit Crew variables into the mix.

Good Job, Stoner! It was a pleasure watching you win races. Clearly you're with the right team with the right stuff to win.

#10 ·
fishnride said:
It's simple arithmetic:

Superior Rider + Superior Equipment = MotoGP Championship

Same as any other motor sport, be it NASCAR, F1, Indy, Champ Car, etc. If it were just the tires or the bike, why bother hiring an expensive rider - it's the sum of all parts that make a winning combination. And that's not even bringing the R&D, Support, Engineering, and Pit Crew variables into the mix.

Good Job, Stoner! It was a pleasure watching you win races. Clearly you're with the right team with the right stuff to win.
BINGO!!!:beer

#13 ·
I'm not exactly a rossi fanatic like some of my friends, granted yes, stoner did a great job this year...but personally i'm still not convinced that the bike didn't have something to do with it. I was going to wait and see...

but after reading that, my opinion of him just dropped. Why is he being such a crybaby?

#14 ·
while i have nothing against stoner, and i do think that he's a hell of a rider, i am more a rossi fan... watching him on a bike is just magic.

at the beginning, stoner had an absurdly obvious advantage, trapping like 10mph faster down the straights for pretty much every single race of the first like 5 or 20... i would be interested in seeing what rossi could've done with a bike that was handling as well as everyone else's but had an additional 15-30hp.

obviously the kid's got talent, but a championship is rider skill + equipment performance + reliability + luck. it's obvious that rossi has skill, since he's still winning races when everyone else has been struggling with similar tires/bikes. stoner hasn't really had an opportunity to prove himself like that, since the ducati has pretty much been lightyears ahead of all the other makes since the start of the season, with the big 4 only catching up with just a few races left to go...

all i know is next season should be interesting -- i want to see where all the riders end up after the shake-down

#15 ·
stoner dominated this year, everyone should recognize that. as long has he rode within the confines of the rules and still rode his ass off, what is wrong? oh yeah, i forgot the whole michelin/bridgestone thing ... :rolleyes

#16 ·
Poor Casey... Now he knows how Nicky Hayden feels. The press was even worse when Nicky won over Rossi, but you didn't hear shit from Nicky.

Rossi has had moments of shear brilliance in his career. But I'm tired of hearing him whine about tires and bikes. A champion should not blame his equipment.

News flash! He is not the best rider that ever lived, and his best riding is behind him, too! :twofinger :neener

#17 ·
Damn Casey, enjoy being the champion and shut the hell up.

#18 ·
Did you expect anything other than a Ducati to win?

I mean come on. WHY did they switch to 800cc bikes? Ducati has had 800cc for a while now. Duc's had the advantage of their current technology. Why not use a 750? or a 600?

Is Stoner good? yes. Is Ducati good? Yes. Did they have an advantage over the rest of the field? Yes. If they keep the current bike specs, in 2 years Ducati will be back to where they once were...mid pack.

#19 · (Edited)
Shamrock627 said:
Did you expect anything other than a Ducati to win?

I mean come on. WHY did they switch to 800cc bikes? Ducati has had 800cc for a while now. Duc's had the advantage of their current technology. Why not use a 750? or a 600?
Are you saying that because Ducati has an 800 cc air-cooled twin engine in some street bikes, that gave them an advantage in MotoGP?

#20 ·
silent_R1 said:
Wasn't this the same guy who crashed repeatedly for a while? Or am I thinking of Vermulen?

I can see his point, but after a while, the naysayers will simply stick with their initial argument just so they don't look bad.

However, if Stoner really thinks he is the better rider, why not jump ship and go to another, lesser bike and see if the success repeats itself...hmmm, kinda like Rossi did and still won. Then, after that, he would have a reason to be pissed. I think alot of people, myself included, thinks it could very well be a fluke. Although he is a talented rider and I give him credit for that, he still isn't being a graceful winner. Rather, based off that little snipped, he seems like a spoiled brat. Being a champion involves more than simply winning all the races.
I'm new to MotoGP but everything I've seen from Rossi he seems to be very whiny. I understand wanting to be competitive but don't take your gripes to the press. "If I don't get new tires, I'll retire," or,"If Yamaha doesn't make a better bike, I'll quit." That's all I've heard from him. Not, "Well, our team has some issues but Stoner beat me fair and square". That's not right. If you lose, you lose. I understand wanting to be competitive and being frustrated, but give the champion his just due. I

#21 ·
Personally I think the 800cc rule change was basically to slow the bikes down so the more talented riders wouldn't walk away from everyone else. Nascar did the same thing like 10-15 years ago because only a few drivers could handle sliding at 215 mph. (If you can't tell I miss the brutal 500cc 2-smokes)

Stoner was still damned impressive this season, and his consistency was just amazing. But there's no way he can think it's all him! The way he was talking he would have won on a '78 CB750 with bias-plys!

#22 ·
spicy said:
while i have nothing against stoner, and i do think that he's a hell of a rider, i am more a rossi fan... watching him on a bike is just magic.

at the beginning, stoner had an absurdly obvious advantage, trapping like 10mph faster down the straights for pretty much every single race of the first like 5 or 20... i would be interested in seeing what rossi could've done with a bike that was handling as well as everyone else's but had an additional 15-30hp.

obviously the kid's got talent, but a championship is rider skill + equipment performance + reliability + luck. it's obvious that rossi has skill, since he's still winning races when everyone else has been struggling with similar tires/bikes. stoner hasn't really had an opportunity to prove himself like that, since the ducati has pretty much been lightyears ahead of all the other makes since the start of the season, with the big 4 only catching up with just a few races left to go...

all i know is next season should be interesting -- i want to see where all the riders end up after the shake-down
the bike isn't light years ahead....ducati bitched and wined about all the other bikes being faster and wanted a larger displacement engine so they could be "competitive". If anything, other teams should be bitching about that.

#23 ·
as far as i know, that's in AMA/FIM stuff, not motoGP where all the engines are one-off's, and that's only to overcome the inherent hp disadvantages without going to crazy exotic technology, which eventually boils down to benefit the street riders.

#25 ·
SeqArtMark said:
I'm new to MotoGP but everything I've seen from Rossi he seems to be very whiny. I understand wanting to be competitive but don't take your gripes to the press. "If I don't get new tires, I'll retire," or,"If Yamaha doesn't make a better bike, I'll quit." That's all I've heard from him. Not, "Well, our team has some issues but Stoner beat me fair and square". That's not right. If you lose, you lose. I understand wanting to be competitive and being frustrated, but give the champion his just due. I

actually, Rossi did say exactly that on more than one occasion. However, as I stated in my previous post, being a champion involves more than just riding a good bike great. It also involves being gracious to those who came in behind you.

As for Rossi bitching, you know the phrase the squeeky wheel gets the grease? Well, guess what? Rossi is getting squeeky. He wants better equipment and better tires. I can't blame him at all for that. The press is an avenue. Is it the best way to get what he wants? I do not know as I am not in that position. However, if he gets better equipment and better tires, I would say it worked.

Again, Stoner did a very good job winning this year. I will give him that. However, I stand by what my previous post said, if he thinks he is really that good, go to a a lesser performing bike and repeat the wins. Then he would be a champion. As I think Jk750 pointed out, Nicky didn't say shit last year, except thank you. That is the mark of a champion.

#26 ·
Poor Casey... Now he knows how Nicky Hayden feels. The press was even worse when Nicky won over Rossi, but you didn't hear shit from Nicky.
Exactly what I was thinking. Dude quit bitching, you already won it, enjoy it ad who cares what people say. Come back next year and win again, then they'll probably shut up some more. Everything can be argued a million ways, and everybody is right in their mind, so who gives a shit, it was the bike, it was the rider, it was the team, it was the tires, it was the banana peel on turn 9......fuck it.....you're the champion period, nobody can take that from you.

I honestly think all the arguments are legitimate. I agree he had an advantage with his bike, and that Rossi had nothing but problems, causing results that may not have been completely accurate if conditions had been ideal for everyone, but when does that ever happen? I also agree that Stoner showed a lot of talent and just out rode everyone, and shoved it down their throat more and more every race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.