Sport Bikes banner

Frist ride in 39 years!

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  playa0069u 
#1 ·
Yep yesterday I took my 1990 EX-500 out on the road for the very frist time! Frist trick get down my driveway Gravel! took my time sora walked it down, On to the asphalt here we go. Trying to rember all the skills I picked up at mu MSF class. The 500 proved to bee very easy to get to know and very forgiving when I did something not perfect. Lots of power but not too muchI kept on back country roads watching for Gravel after our recent rains last week. AH its all comming back to me I did scared myself a few times but did not panic. I got it up to 55MPH at a few spots very stedy and stable I did 30 miles then i was getting tired and headed back to the house now back up the gravel drive way! Whew! made it The bike ran great i did ok a bit sore will rest and take it for a spin this afternoon. It was great to be back on the road after all the years. I know i need a lot more practice but i got lots of time. Now im so wound up Ive started working on my next project a 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 that I got for $300 buck!!!

#3 ·
Good deal Moses! Take it easy and enjoy the ride!

#6 ·
congrats!

gravel driveways are tricky. the only time ive dumped a bike was on gravel. DO NOT USE YOUR FRONT BRAKE (much)! try to only use the rear.....

good luck, take 'er easy....

#8 ·
Wow- your 60, great age to ride. I just turned 50 and 3 years ago I resumed riding after a 17 year break. I started on a Katana and it took about a year to get my reflexs back. So I bought a bunch of books, studied cornering and practiced in parking lots etc until i felt better. I picked up an older gsxr and now am looking to upgrade. Things sure have changed since we rode many years ago. My 95 gsxr is like the space shuttle compared to the stuff we had years ago. My first bike was a mid 60's Triumph Tiger!

#11 ·
Milenko said:
did you take the msf 39 years ago?

if i were you, i would take it again :)
They didn't have MSF 39 years ago.

Wow - it was 1968 the last time you rode. Motorcycling sure has changed a lot since then.

Welcome back and be careful.

#13 ·
phail said:
Kinda cool to see some older guys riding sportbikes. I think Ive only ever met one person over 45 who rides one.
Dang,on our group rides 45 is probably the AVERAGE age.
Good luck #1 Moses getting back into it.:cheers
I don't know how you went so long without a bike. I went a couple of years without one and it drove me nuts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.