Sport Bikes banner

New sport bikes vs. mid 90's sport bikes?

10K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  th12t33n 
#1 ·
Bare with me guys.

I just got back from Barnes & Noble book store reading every European and US bike magazine I could find and I'm wondering just how good are the newer sport bikes vs. the older ones?

I've seen all the numbers, looked at all the figures, etc, and 1/4 mile and 0-60 times are soo low on sport bikes that it's almost like flipping a coin as far as which one would be faster given a normal rider on both bikes. Having said that, track times are another story. The newer'ish sport bikes are considerably faster around the track vs. the older ones (albeit same make, model, and cc). However, slightly modded 1999/2002'ish bikes are keeping up with their newer brothers.

Now I know my main question might be like asking is a 2000 Z28 Camaro just like a 1982 Z28, but the numbers are so close that I'm wondering just how good are the newer bikes? Do they turn in that much better, hold the turn that much better, etc?

I have only ridden my '95 F3 and my dad's '97 VFR 750 so I have no basis for comparing the newer 600's, 750's, 1k's vs. the older mid 90's sport bikes.

Can someone who has ridden the older sport bikes and the newer sport bikes give me a little insight as to how the newer bikes feel / perform vs. the older sport bikes?

PS: Flame on if you want. :banana

See less See more
#5 ·
One of the biggest differences I've noticed when comparing my old 96 6R to newer supersports is handling. The newer 600's suspensions are so much better that it's not even a comparison.

#6 ·
Jake said:
One of the biggest differences I've noticed when comparing my old 96 6R to newer supersports is handling. The newer 600's suspensions are so much better that it's not even a comparison.
+1

The handling and suspension difference between my '93 F2 and '01 F4i was huge. The F4i inspired a lot more confidence and felt a lot more stable given the same roads and speeds. I was riding smoother and faster within the first few weeks of having the F4i, than I had been during 11k miles of riding the F2.

Then there is the whole fuel injection vs. carburetion thing, a smoother gearbox, a lighter clutch, more horsepower (a lot of this would be dependent on the condition of the older motor), wider wheels and tires (160 rear on the F2, 180 on the F4i), etc. Of course this is mainly comparing the F2 to the F4i, but it's a similar story with older and newer models of other bikes.

#8 ·
Jake said:

You nailed it. For example. Look at the '98 ZX9R, it was the first bike to break into the 9s in the 1/4 mile. Today's liter bikes weight less and make 50 more horse yet can't go much quicker. However, they handle much, much better.

#9 ·
Right on jake. Forget about carbs vs FI, that doesnt make much difference stock for stock because a bank of 4 carburetors performs very similar to a bank of 4 FI throttle bodies...just one has more electronics. However, as said before the newer bikes have:

a) less weight
b) much better suspension

In fact, even if you upgrade the hell out of the suspension of older bikes they still wont outperform the stock suspension of most newer race reps. 2003 was a big year for sport bikes, anything 2003 and above is in a different level of performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.