Sport Bikes banner

Lowering.... Pros and Cons.

51K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  DJ19 
#1 ·
Can I get some good feedback on the pros and cons of lowering a motorcycle?

#2 ·
Pro: your feet can more easily reach the ground making a drop less likely.

Cons: handling may be effected as geometry will change slightly. This can be reduced by lowering the front and rear the same amount.

Ground clearance will be reduced making it easier to drag hard parts when cornering and going over bumps etc.

Side stand will have to be shortened so the bike stays at the same angle.

#4 ·
-----
Cons: handling may be effected as geometry will change slightly. This can be reduced by lowering the front and rear the same amount.
-----

Incorrect chassis geometry will be changed DRASTICALLY, even if lowered in the same amount front and rear.

Pros and cons of lowering your bike can only be ascertained after you tell us what you use your bike for; canyon carving, racing, drag racing, commuting, posing, etc.

#6 ·
Bomb300 said:
I got used to it the way it is now and I really don't want to learn the quirks all over again.
Have you tried shaving the seat or considered an aftermarket seat? Those are other ways to get an inch closer to the ground.

Reactions: Viaqua
#8 ·
I had mine lowered and did not notice DRASTIC differences... only that I couldnt corner into a sharp curve at 100+ mph with sportbike like suspension reactions... then again whose going that fast off the track anyways... IMO seems minimal if your just cruising around.

#9 ·
It depends on your style of riding. I lowered mine 2" b/c I like the lowered look and wanted to help keep the front end down, it helped a little but didn't stop it totally. As far as everyday riding, I never really noticed a difference except ground clearance which was an issue only every once in a while and could still go out and hit the curves with my friends. I can stand flat footed when stopped, which makes the bike feel a lot lighter than it is. Like what was said before, try it. If you don't like it, it's not irreversible.

#10 ·
Bomb300 said:
Can I get some good feedback on the pros and cons of lowering a motorcycle?
If you're asking for pros and cons on lowering motorcycle then you obviously don't have any basis for doing it in the first place other then just for the hell of it. What's your reason for wanting to lower your bike's height?

- Is your legs too short?
- Are you interested in drag racing perhaps?

#13 ·
2002 Busa SE said:
mild lowering..say 1" -2" you will not even feel a difference in the way it rides. Just do it

You are crazy if you think that. Either you're senses are completely dulled, you have never made a turn on your bike.

#16 ·
Anytime you jack the suspension around you're going to feel a difference. It might be good, might be bad. It depends on your riding style and how comfortable you feel. The saying, "Fits like a glove", comes to mind. Not every glove fits every hand the same. It doesn't matter if the suspension is up, down, tight, loose, etc. How do you feel riding it? If it feels good to you, you'll be more confident and ride better and safer.

Whatever you decide to do to your suspension is up to you. If you don't like the results you can always put it back the way it was.

#18 ·
2002 Busa SE said:
average rider wont notice that small of drop. I've had mine 4" lower, and besides the ground clearance it turns and rides the same.

:eek:nfloor Whatever you say. I raised my forks 2mm in my triples and used a 190/55 size tire in the back on my GSX-R1000, and the difference was definately noticeable.

#21 ·
2002 Busa SE said:
have either one of you rode my bike...didnt think so..for me it was no difference.. the key word...for me....so..fuck off.!

------
average rider wont notice that small of drop. I've had mine 4" lower, and besides the ground clearance it turns and rides the same.
------

Well you should have said that instead of this ^^^

For 99% of people, a 2" drop will affect handling monumentally.

#22 ·
let him drop it for himself and see, around town..the diference wont even give him a second thought... It seems all the track guys argue it will make a HUGE..DEATHLY difference, but most people who are just out riding in the real world dont have anything bad to say, brings up another saying...to each his own...

#23 ·
I don't have a track to ride, but I haven't noticed a different in my daily commute or regular riding. I have plenty of twisty, South Georgia back roads to test the handling on; it feels a little different, but some of you would have us believe that the bikes can't even turn anymore if they're lowered.

#25 ·
Yeah +1 - not sure what parking lots you guys are doing full turns in but I didn't notice much difference at ALL... you LEAN people... push into the turn ... were not doing 90 degree short turns here.

#26 ·
So0o0o0o0.......

Sooo, i get that its different for everyone but no one really answered the first question...and for this being 12 years later now its kinda sad this is all i can find on the internet about the pros and cons lol. Any of you still know how to computer an actually get on here an can help? Thanks guys...

2009 Yamaha r6s - looking to lower the front to give it a more aggressive look to it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.