Sport Bikes banner

Chain recommendations

615 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Scott_R6 
#1 ·
OK, so someone explain to me the advantages or disadvantages of the different chains. We've got O's and X's and ??? I plan on ordering a rear sprocket for my 05 gsxr shortly. I have no idea how big of a chain i'll need to fit a +4 sprocket. Then we've got 530,525,520 etc. This is chain width? I'm not worried about a gram or two difference in chain weight because I don't believe i'll see any difference. I just want a chain to fit a +4 rear sprocket, one that won't break and cut my let off or anything like that.

#2 ·
what is your reasoning for getting a b***** sprocket? Stunting or just a better lower end?

#3 ·
The basics:

The O ring or X ring is used to keep grease inside the chain rollers.
X-ring is supposed to flex better than O-ring so it holds the grease in and water/dirt out better than O ring.

The higher the chain number (530 vs 525) the more power it will handle (and the more it will weigh).
I believe that, along with a larger chain being stronger, it also causes more parasitic power loss because its more for the engine to move. From what I've read, X-ring chains are supposed to rob less power than O-ring chains as well.

Different manufacturers will, of course, tell you their chain is stronger/lighter than other companies. Someone else will have to fill you in with manufacturer recommendations.

I couldn't care less about a few grams weight either so this winter I'll be looking for a chain that is appropriate for the power my bike puts out.

#5 ·
I go through chains like water. No matter how much I wax them they still wear out in a month, but I ride in the rain all the time and just put a ton of miles on every year. I quit using expensive chains since the cheap ones last just as long for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.