Sport Bikes banner

3 deaths in 1 week

3K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  bartzx9r 
#1 ·
We have had 3 motorcycle deaths in last week in the Quadcities. 2 of them look like the riders were at fault the other a car might have been involved under investagation. None of them had helments on and they all deid from massive head injuries. So boys and girls wear your fucking lid, sweating and being hot is alot better than being DEAD.

#3 ·
Why anyone would ride a m/c without a helmet is a total mystery to me. I guess it's the personal freedom argument. CA passed it's helmet law about 12 years ago. It seemed to be opposed mainly by "HD-type" riders who now mostly only wear the beanie-type helmets that don't look like they help much. Compliance with the helmet law seems to be running 99.999%. You do very occasionally see a rider without a lid which is shocking to me. It's the same issue with seat belts in cages. It's now a ticketable offense by itself in CA not to be wearing a seatbelt (let alone having a kid in a proper car seat). The seat belt comliance rate here is still only maybe 80%. Go figure.

#4 ·
HDGP said:
...sweating and being hot...
The heat doesn't bother me a bit. I live in the tropical heat where you sweat the first step you take outside (high humidity).

#5 ·
It's retarded. I can't do steroids but people can ride around without helmets and smoke cigarettes which are proven to kill you.

#8 ·
MaxOwner said:
speaking about lids..

i saw 4 bikes last night.. 2 04 R1's, 1 03 Gixxer 1k and 1 04 Gixxer 750.. they all had Communicators.. but they had cheapeass $150 lids ..

its beyond me now
Hey, my HJC CL-14 was just a little over $150. I tried on the shoi and arai and didn't like the way they fit. Mines snell2000 and dot approved and has a nice snug fit which is more important than anything.

#9 ·
What cracks me up is KY has a seatblet law, but no Helmet law? WTF?

#10 ·
What is fucked up is that out all the people I ride with or see on the road maybe 10% wear helments. Even after the deaths all the bikers were worried about is that it will make IL pass a helment law. My girl friend never wore helment before dating me and she hates that fact that I make her ware it when we ride, but she is coming around.

#11 ·
I don't know about other people, but I feel more comfortable when I wear the helmet.

I doubt that the more expensive helmets such as Shoei and Arai will offer better protection than HJC or any other cheaper helmets that are Snell and Dot approve. I think the extra money is to pay for styling, comfort, bragging rights, and the brand name.

#12 ·
there are ALOT of people here in FL that ride without helemts, allt he time. i ahve done it a few times, but just dont feel safe without it on. oh yeah, said individuals usually have on wife beaters and shorts too.

#14 ·
I don't even feel comfortable moving the bike around without a helmet on... sheesh. I could not imagine doing 90mph and getting a mouth full of love bugs, especially in Oct in Fla. WTF.

My theory is, if you don't wear a helmet more power to you and let the darwin theroy take over. (The less idiots in the world the better.) It's just as stupid as not wearing your seatbelt.

#15 ·
oh man... Sometimes what it all comes down too, is that ppl think they look cool with out one. I guess it wasn't so cool.. maybe this will teach their friends a leason.. What a crapy way to learn. RIP guys...

#16 ·
Not wearing a seatbelt does NOT equate to not wearing a helmet. Remember, you have 2 tons of steel protecting you w/o a belt.....nothing protects your head w/o a helmet.

I personnally hope if someone that refuses to wear a helmet and they crash, dies. Less chance of medical insurance going up taking care of vegetables etc.

Seatbelts....they can make all the laws they want about them, I won't wear it. I really don't care if they 'think' it will save me.........

Sure it's a double standard, one I can live with.:twofinger

#18 ·
That really sucks. DE has a law that the helmet has to be visibile on your bike, your something of that nature, you don't have to be wearing it. Where I like, 95% of the people who don't wear helmets are the harley riders. It's only a small percentage of sportbikers that don't wear lids.

#19 ·
I remember the first time I was in Texas and saw a guy riding with a helmet on. It freaked me out. I wont even go out without my jacket on, let alone my lid. What can you possibly be thinking to not wear a helmet at all times? Ive seen pictures where these guys have gone down at 25mph and lost all their skin...LET ALONE 90MPH...oh well, The D theory will certainly be in effect.

#20 ·
I believe the no helmet law is to try and keep costs down, both in insurance and health care... If the riders not alive to claim... :(

I read a thread awhile back about DOT approvals, how they're meant to either save you or kill you whereas SNELL approvals are meant to keep you alive.

#22 ·
PA has a seatbelt law but recently just got rid of the helmet law which I don't understand...

Just a few days ago a local rider died a few miles from my house. He was 17 and riding a Ninja 250 doing the speed limit and a guy in an explorer pulled out infront of him and he broad sided it. Its a shame, he held a helmet on and probably just got into the sport and doing it right with a 250. I was riding on that same rode that day and a guy on a cruiser pulled up to me in my lane and told me about a bad crash he just witnessed with a sportbike a few minutes earlier and told me to be careful. Sure enough it was the kid on the 250.

#24 ·
Dude, Russ... Helmet laws are meant to save lives. Same as seatbelt laws.

I understand the civil liberties argument. But if you try and slit your wrists or pop enough pills to kill yourself, you will have a run in with the law (most likely, if you survive).
What makes motorcycles different? You'll die while going 80mph?

#26 ·
I couldn't imagine riding without a helmet but I guess in no helmet law states its up to the rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.