Sport Bikes banner

GIVI Side Rack Installation Question

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Limey 1 
#1 ·
To anyone who has GIVI sidecase racks on their FZ6:

When moving the rear indicator turn signal, did you have to splice/otherwise elongate the wires, or were you able to use the stock lengths? I've managed to pull out ~3" of extra wire, but don't think there is enough in the bike to stretch all the way.

What did you do?

#2 ·
Had to extent the wires. Get some at wal-mart (I used all black so it didn't show up as much) and also use barrel crimps and heqat shrink to make sure the whole thing is water proof. Take your time and do it right and it looks almost factory. Sorry I don't have pics my bike is in the shop getting a new front tire;(

Good luck,
Murphy

#5 · (Edited)
Mine are routed behind the bar that connects the two side racks to a small hole I put in the fender in the middle between the license plate and the red reflector. I used the stock wire and wire cover sheath from the turn signals back along the bars with the givi clamps and under the fender like stock so the wires don't dangle out like in the above post and I extended the wires under the seat to reach the connectors and it looks a lot cleaner and the entire exposed length of wire has the stock sheath, don't have a detail pic.

#7 ·
schmi32 said:
Thanks all - I have the new PLX side rack and the blinker mounts that came from Givi mount the blinkers attached under the top rack. Any good ideas where/how to route the cables? I am worried about the exhaust heat etc.

Thanks

Pics?

#9 ·
Here are some pictures of my 2006 Yamaha FZ6 with the PLX side mounts and hard cases attached and the blinkers relocated. Had to lengthen the wire on the right side, but, left blinker is still stock - hope the wires don't burn with the routing!

Attachments

#10 ·
Looks good! Personally, I would want to get smaller turn signals or all LED ones. I don't think you have to worry much about the wiring getting burnt, the heat shroud around the exhaust helps things from getting scorching hot.

How do the signals mount? Is there an extra bracket?

#11 ·
yes, they (givi) give you a bracket with the PLX351 sidemount kit. I spoke with them and I think I am the first to use it. Even twisted throttle wants pics. Glad to hear that it will survive the heat. Was not as intimidating as I thought it would be. Had the top rack mounted so it took me about 3 hours to do the rest at a very careful, non-skillful pace!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.