Sport Bikes banner

1/4 Mile Times?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kun 
#1 ·
Ok, first thread ive started so cut me some slack if i mess something up, but i thought this was a topic that deserves some discussion. Im heading to the track Friday night to do some drag racing. Ive got a good 2500 miles on her now, so i figure she is broke in enough for some thrashing. My dad is bringing his FZ1 out and my buddy will be there with his R1. Well anyway, im wondering if im setting myself up for an embarrasment or what. Im sure some of you guys have ran the 1/4 before, what kind of results have you seen? At what altitude? How much (approx.) do you weigh? Lets see some time slips!:cheers

#2 ·
Fizzfuzz said:
Ok, first thread ive started so cut me some slack if i mess something up, but i thought this was a topic that deserves some discussion. Im heading to the track Friday night to do some drag racing. Ive got a good 2500 miles on her now, so i figure she is broke in enough for some thrashing. My dad is bringing his FZ1 out and my buddy will be there with his R1. Well anyway, im wondering if im setting myself up for an embarrasment or what. Im sure some of you guys have ran the 1/4 before, what kind of results have you seen? At what altitude? How much (approx.) do you weigh? Lets see some time slips!:cheers

Well if you are competing against those two, stay at home and just "mail it in". :)

#4 ·
1/4 mile times are going to have a LOT to do with the rider as well as the bike. I ran a best time of 10.31 @ 129.45mph in the 1/4 mile with my FZ6 (running against a big block Chevy II dialed in at 11.49); unfortunately, I was dialed in at 11.15 and was disqualified.
I have ran times ranging between mid to high 12's down to the 10.31 with 11.30 @ 121mph being about the average pass.
I have also seen R1's and Busa's run everything from 8's to 12's depending on the rider, track conditions, and number of oops's.

#5 ·
ViperZ said:
1/4 mile times are going to have a LOT to do with the rider as well as the bike. I ran a best time of 10.31 @ 129.45mph in the 1/4 mile with my FZ6 (running against a big block Chevy II dialed in at 11.49); unfortunately, I was dialed in at 11.15 and was disqualified.
I have ran times ranging between mid to high 12's down to the 10.31 with 11.30 @ 121mph being about the average pass.
I have also seen R1's and Busa's run everything from 8's to 12's depending on the rider, track conditions, and number of oops's.
very very true... launch is key.

#6 ·
If it is your first trip watch running the clutch to hard to often. Meaning if you are doing alot of clutch work in the begining to launch a little better dont be linning up for 5 or six races right in a row let things cool down or you may get clutch problems.

A friend of mine burnt his clutch pretty bad on his R6, but he know how to ride the bike very well and he was dumb and kept running the bike hard with out brakes here and there.

#7 · (Edited)
I ran a best time of 10.31 @ 129.45mph in the 1/4 mile with my FZ6 (running against a big block Chevy II dialed in at 11.49
Wow, are you for sure about that!? all the performance reviews ive read about the FZ6 put it right around 11 and ahalf. A full second faster? but yeah, like i said, i just dont want to embarass myself. Ill do some practice lauches before friday. I know the track is a lot stickier than the streets, will that effect my launch much? (easier/harder?) Ive been out there with my Trans Am, and where i would usually light the tires up on a full brake/throttle lauch, the tires just chirped and hooked up, so its nice and sticky.

Thanks for the tip about the clutch, I was out horsing around with some buddies, and i was try to perfect ( or rather..do at all) my clutch wheelies, after a few attempts i noticed what felt like the clutch starting to drag. I would have the clutch all the way in but it would still be pulling foward a bit. The problem has since gone away, i hope the damage isnt already done.

#10 ·
ped said:
if you hook up wheelie bars and perhaps change the gearing a bit the bike would probably run in the 9's.
you realy need to get the launch down.. once off the line don't go to the rev limiter shift around the 10,000rpm to 11,000 area. getting the revs higher isn't getting you much more speed so shift. thats what i did. i raced my buds bike 2005 FZ6, stock bike. we are going to polish and port the head. we will also put on full race exhaust with k&n filter with power commander. should help a little with these mods. he's got the bucks and my 2006 FZ6 is just fine stock. i have ordered the cat elim pipe for my bike. KUN:boink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.